Gog and Magog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gog and Magog

One of the signs of Yawm al Aakhir/Day of Judgement is the coming of Gog and Magog.

Are they referred to by any other names in the Quran? I would like this to be verified - is it accurate that their coming will have anything to do with Juma prayers (lack of participation)? I heard this once in a Khutba and not sure if I remember it correctly. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

------------------
    True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing ~ Socrates

AOA, this is my first post, just thought I had to reply to this one. About Gog and Magog I read a nice article on them in IQRA, here's the link:

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/may20...2/index.html#4

It does not mention anything about lack of Friday prayers, so I guess I haven't actually answered your question

[This message has been edited by sallu123 (edited May 27, 2002).]
    "When one bright intellect meets another bright intellect, the light increases and the Way becomes clear." - Rumi

Comment

Nadia, There are so many different articles about Gog and Magog. So many different views etc.

I found this on a website altough ive lost the link. As for its authenticity I think its best for our learned scholars such as Hasnain or Ibrahim to tell us more.

In Arabic, Ya'juj (Gog) and Ma'juj (Magog) are derived from "ajj" or "ajij" in the forms of yaf'ul and maf`ul and ajij means "the flaming of fire." But "ajja" also means "asra`a" or "he walked fast." Imam Raghib says that Ya'juj and Ma'juj have been compared to the flaming fire and surging water because of their intense agitation. As well we see the subtle correlation here with the nature the rapid expansion and spread of "the flaming fire."

Gog and Magog (Ya'juj and Ma'juj) are mentioned twice in the Qur'an. Once they are mentioned in the eighteenth chapter in association with the description of Dajjal. Towards the end of this chapter Dhu-l-Qarnain (as) is spoken of as undertaking journeys in different directions to fortify the frontiers of his empire. "Dhu-l-Qarnain" literally means "the Two Horned One" but it also means one whose rule extends over two generations or over two kingdoms. This last significance is given by the commentator, Ibn Jarir.

Comment

Working...
      X