fasting on a friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fasting on a friday

today at friday prayers i was talkin to this arab guy who said that fasting (roza) on a friday is haraam. he then pulled in another much older arab guy who said that it is ok to fast on a friday as long as you fast on the day before.

this is kinda new to me. i've never heard of it before. i have heard about not fasting on the 2 eids, but on fridays too???

any educated insight please?
    Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

I don't have the exact reference with me right now, but the Prophet (sallallaho 'alaihi wa sallam) ordered the Mulsims not to single out a Friday for fasting alone. But as the elder of the two Arab gentleman said, if you were to join it with the fast of Thursday, then that would be fine insha'Allah. As for joining it with Saturday then the Messenger of Allah (sallallaho 'alaihi wa sallam), also forbade the Muslims from fasting on a Saturday, as this is the day of the Jews.

However, there is a difference of opinion amongst the scholars of Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah, on this matter as to whether the fast of a Frdiday can be followed by the fast of a Saturday. Some scholars say ( such as Shaikh al-Albaanee rahmatullaahi 'alai) that you should not fast on any Saturday except the Saturdays of Ramadhan, whereas as others say that it is ok, if you were to fast on another day either side of Saturday.

For example, this year, Yaom-ul 'Ashoora (10th of Muharram) fell on a Sunday, and although it is better to fast on the 9th and 10th of Muharram than the 10th and 11th of Muharram, the 9th would have been a Saturday. So many scholars advised to fast on the 10th and 11th for this year.

Coming back to the friday fast, it is better not to volantarily fast on this day unless it happens to fall into your routine of fasting e.g. if you fast the 3 middle days of every month, or if you fast every other day etc.

And as we know from the Sunnah of the Prophet (sallallaaho 'alaihi wa sallam), he used to fast on Mondays and Thursdays and did not fast on Fridays unless in Ramadhan.

And Allah knows best.

Sentinel.

Comment

Jazak'Allah Khairun Sentinel

Comment

Working...
      X