Women at the Mosque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women at the Mosque

[*] Can someone please quote us some Hadiths about women going to the Mosque?
    [*] Second, why not many mosques in Pakistan cater to women? I know in Peshawar there are many mosques that have seperate women section but in Rawalpindi for instance, most of the mosques were men only. Why?

Just so you all know, all Ahmadi Mosques have women section. I have yet to see one that does not.
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

the reason why many women don't attend masjids in Pakistan is probably "cultural" .

But women there often gather in each other's houses for religious purposes. these meetings are called "Ijtma".

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: If any of your women asks permission to go to the mosque don't stop her from going. and there are sevearl hadeses that proves that women attended masjids in Prophet Muhmmad's times.

for example:

The Prophet's (PBUH) Mosque had a number of doors. One day, the Prophet said, "If we could only leave this door for the ladies!" Ibn Omar, who was always very scrupulous in following the way of the Prophet (PBUH), was reported as not using this door from then on, leaving it for the purpose mentioned by the Prophet (PBUH).

Prophet (PBUH) said, "On many occasions I start the prayer with the intention of prolonging it and then shorten it on hearing the cry of a baby for fear of keeping his mother away from attending him.

"So their Lord accepted their prayers (saying), I will not suffer the work of any worker among you to be lost, whether male or female, he (or she) being a believer, these will enter the Garden and they will not be dealt with unjustly." (Al-Nisa: 124).

The Prophet (PBUH) used to stay in his place in the mosque for a little while after the prayer. The Companions who reported it said that this was to give the women a chance to leave first.Omar ibn Al-Khattab, seeing a male and female making their ablutions from the same basin, separated them. Then he called the attendant and said, "Did I not order you to prepare a basin for the use of the women?" We all remember the incident when Omar was preaching and advised people not to give a higher marriage gift for women or to ask for it. A Muslim woman in the mosque said to him in front of the whole gathering, "This is not for you." He said, "Why?" She replied, "Because Allah Most High said, 'And you have given one of them-as mahr (marriage gift) -a whole treasure' (Al-Nisa: 20) without putting a limit to the amount: how can you limit the mahr?" He answered, "All people are more judicious than you Omar! The woman is right and the man is wrong

------------------
    "Philosopher, Orator, Apostle, Legislator, Conqueror of Ideas, Restorer of Rational beliefs.... The founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?"

[This message has been edited by secret_obsession (edited May 19, 2002).]

Comment

I think some sahaba discouraged their wives from going to mosque, otherwise I have yet to come across a hadith which forbids women from going to mosque. Since sunni scholars take "rulings" from Quran, then Sunna, then Sahaba, then etc, its more likely from sahaba than from Prophet.

Also, its not like "forbidden", "haraam" for women to go to mosque. But perhaps it has become our culture to not include women in masajid.

------------------
      May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

S_O, thank you for the contribution!

changez_like, I have yet to come across even a Hadiths that forbids women to go to mosque. Yes, there are a few that give women the option, if they don't feel safe or have some physical problems. Other than that they are mostly welcomed.

Most people in Pakistan are Ahlay-Sunat, and if they take Quran over Hadiths (saying there are a few Hadiths that forbid women from going) then shouldn't there be more mosques that cater to women?!

What's the situation in other Muslim countries?
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

If women can go for Hajj, they surely can go to other masjids as well, so long as proper segregation is maintained. And it is quite common from what Ive seen.

Comment

Originally posted by secret_obsession:
            the reason why many women don't attend masjids in Pakistan is probably "cultural" .

But women there often gather in each other's houses for religious purposes. these meetings are called "Ijtma".

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: If any of your women asks permission to go to the mosque don't stop her from going. and there are sevearl hadeses that proves that women attended masjids in Prophet Muhmmad's times.

for example:

The Prophet's (PBUH) Mosque had a number of doors. One day, the Prophet said, "If we could only leave this door for the ladies!" Ibn Omar, who was always very scrupulous in following the way of the Prophet (PBUH), was reported as not using this door from then on, leaving it for the purpose mentioned by the Prophet (PBUH).

Prophet (PBUH) said, "On many occasions I start the prayer with the intention of prolonging it and then shorten it on hearing the cry of a baby for fear of keeping his mother away from attending him.

"So their Lord accepted their prayers (saying), I will not suffer the work of any worker among you to be lost, whether male or female, he (or she) being a believer, these will enter the Garden and they will not be dealt with unjustly." (Al-Nisa: 124).

The Prophet (PBUH) used to stay in his place in the mosque for a little while after the prayer. The Companions who reported it said that this was to give the women a chance to leave first.Omar ibn Al-Khattab, seeing a male and female making their ablutions from the same basin, separated them. Then he called the attendant and said, "Did I not order you to prepare a basin for the use of the women?" We all remember the incident when Omar was preaching and advised people not to give a higher marriage gift for women or to ask for it. A Muslim woman in the mosque said to him in front of the whole gathering, "This is not for you." He said, "Why?" She replied, "Because Allah Most High said, 'And you have given one of them-as mahr (marriage gift) -a whole treasure' (Al-Nisa: 20) without putting a limit to the amount: how can you limit the mahr?" He answered, "All people are more judicious than you Omar! The woman is right and the man is wrong

very Well- Said
            Ahmadjee secret obession has the correct asnwer
            Life became all Gray! But NOW i have decided to paint it all over again.

I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat

Comment

Working...
            X