Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salat as found in the Qur'an

Bismillah

There is a misconception that we need to learn Salat from extra Qur'anic sources. It's strange that this view is not backed up by the literature used to support it. There exists not a single authentic account which talks of an event where the Prophet gathered people around him to instruct them how to offer Salat or said "let me show you how to offer Salat" .. NOT ONE!

Considering it's such an important duty and supposedly the Prophet was to teach us then why the glaring omission of even a SINGLE account of a formal instruction of Salat??

Having established the fact that our source for law, rites and rituals can be nothing BUT the Qur'an, let's see what Allah's message is regarding Salat

1. Purpose

Rememberance of Allah Alone

[Ta Ha 20:14] Verily, I - I alone - am God; there is no deity save Me. Hence, worship Me alone, and be constant in prayer (salat as to remember Me!

PakistaniAbroad: here we get the purpose of Salat. It is to remember Allah ONLY

[al-An`am 6:162] Say. Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are for Allah alone, the Lord of the worlds;

PakistaniAbroad: Another reminder that this act of worship is for Allah and NONE other.

2. Prerequisites

Knowing What You Say

[an-Nisa' 4:43] O you who believe! do not go near prayer when you are Intoxicated until you know (well) what you say....

PakistaniAbroad: Therefore one needs to know what they are saying. It is ironic that today Muslims recite Arabic without even knowing what they say but fight over how to offer Salat a particlar way declaring others Kaffir based on the differences in motion or iterations.

Cleansing

[al-Ma'idah 5:6] O you who believe! when you rise up to prayer, wash your faces and your hands as far as the elbows, and wipe your heads and your feet to the ankles; and if you are under an obligation to perform a total ablution, then wash (yourselves) and if you are sick or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy, or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth and wipe your faces and your hands therewith, Allah does not desire to put on you any difficulty, but He wishes to purify you and that He may complete His favor on you, so that you may be grateful.

PakistaniAbroad: Very important to note that the stress is on 'Internal purification' cuz under special provision, wiping your face and hands after touching earth doesn't physically cleanse you.

Also to note that this is THE instruction for cleaning up. Adding to this is rejecting Allah as the final authority and tantamount to inventing other Gods.

3. Position

[an-Nisa' 4:142] Surely the hypocrites strive to deceive Allah, and He shall requite their deceit to them, and when they stand up to prayer they stand up sluggishly; they do it only to be seen of men and do not remember Allah save a little

[Al-Imran 3:39] Then the angels called to him as he stood praying in the sanctuary.......

[al-Baqarah 2:238] Attend constantly to prayers and to the middle prayer and stand up truly obedient to Allah.

[an-Nisa' 4:102] And when you are among them and keep up the prayer for them, let a party of them stand up with you.....

PakistaniAbroad: The position of Salat is thus established to be a Standing Position

However as always Allah gives us the exceptions and while at it, we get a Very Important Point!

[al-Baqarah 2:239] If ye fear, pray on foot, or riding, but when ye are in security, celebrate God's praises in the manner He has taught you, which ye knew not.

PakistaniAbroad: Clue here that Allah taught us his rememberance and did not leave it to anyone else to teach us

Note: When in danger all restrictions about the posture of Salat are loosened which again emphasizes the point that
    establishing the "Link" (Salat's literl meaning) is what's necessary and actions are of secondary importance.

Hence declaring each other's Salat void based on an action here and an action there is missing the whole spirit of the act and is against the Qur'anic message.

[al-Mu'minun 23:1,2] Successful indeed are the believers, Who are humble in their prayers

Continued.....
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Waiting for the completed response.

Comment

interesting !!

what an Interpretation.

waiting for more

------------------
      ganjay se panga na lay

Comment

ur postings r starting to get funny now PA

i wud have requested the mods to move them to the JOKES setion but making a joke out of any religion is not allowed in my religion (i.e. Islam, which is complete with the Quran, the Sunnah and the Fiqah)....

------------------
        "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

PA

You have finally answered everyones query concerning Salaat from the Qur'aan. Thank you!

In your response you have stated that the position for Salaat is STANDING.

You quote:

PakistaniAbroad: The position of Salat is thus established to be a Standing Position.

In order to prove this you stated a number of ayats. Fair enough.

However, you either did not know or you conveniently missed the following ayats, which actually prove that you are in fact WRONG in your interperatation and in gross error. But because you have committed yourself, to standing prayer only, good luck!

039.009 Is one who worships devoutly during the hour of the night prostrating himself or standing (in adoration)....

025.064 Those who spend the night in adoration of their Lord prostrate and standing....

026.218 Who seeth thee standing forth (in prayer).

026.219 And thy movements among those who prostrate themselves.

004.102 When thou (O Apostle) art with them, and standest to lead them in prayer, Let one party of them stand up (in prayer) with thee, Taking their arms with them: When they finish their prostrations, let them Take their position in the rear....

009.112 Those that turn (to Allah) in repentance; that serve Him, and praise Him; that wander in devotion to the cause of Allah,: that bow down and prostrate themselves in prayer...

076.026 And part of the night, prostrate thyself to Him; and glorify Him a long night through.

004.103 When ye pass (Congregational) prayers, celebrate Allah’s praises, standing, sitting down, or lying down on your sides; but when ye are free from danger, set up Regular Prayers: For such prayers are enjoined on believers at stated times.

022.018 Seest thou not that to Allah bow down in worship all things that are in the heavens and on earth,- the sun, the moon, the stars; the hills, the trees, the animals; and a great number among mankind?

38.24 "...and David gathered that We had tried him: he asked forgiveness of his Lord, fell down, bowing (in prostration), and turned (to Allah in repentance).

022.026 Behold! We gave the site, to Abraham, of the (Sacred) House, (saying):

"Associate not anything (in worship) with Me; and sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or stand up, or bow, or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).

003.043 "O Mary! worship Thy Lord devoutly: Prostrate thyself, and bow down (in prayer) with those who bow down."

048.029 Muhammad is the apostle of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other. Thou wilt see them bow and prostrate themselves (in prayer), seeking Grace from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure. On their faces are their marks, (being) the traces of their prostration...

The above ayats from the Qur'aan actually state and confirm that the position for prayer is not standing only. But a combination of standing, prostrating, bowing and sitting!!!

Furthermore, the best and closest of followers who were the Sahaaba, have been described in the Qur'aan by the markings on their faces due to Prostration and not Standing!!!!!

Whether we are wrong in following the A'Hadeeth only Allah knows best.

But one thing is for sure. We Stand, Bow, Prostrate and Sit whilst praying to Allah in line with the Qur'aan, Prophets, Angels and Companions.

Need I say more!!!

Comment

PA: *waiting for the rest!

Sholay: Jazakallah khair, maybe this is what he will include in his next post.

Comment

PA
              Can you also explain how the pagans & idolators prayed in the pre-islam days?

Comment

*Still waiting for the rest of it! I thought I'd have some more to read since I saw you posting on other threads on the Religions forum.

Anyways... Some questions popped up in my mind this morning, which I'd like you to answer.

1. How many times a day do you have to pray?

2. Do you have to make wudhu?

3. How long does your prayers have to be?

4. How many rakah of Fard salat do you have to read?

5. Are your nifl rakats any longer/shorter or the same as your fard namaz?

I had some more, but I forgot. InshAllah will ask the rest later!

------------------
                "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
                (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

PA, after you are done with this, it will be your responsibility to tell us from Quran, what it says about:
                  [*]Fasting (in GREAT DETAIL)
                  [*]Zakaat (in GREAT DETAIL
                  [*]Hajj (in GREAT DETAIL)

Because, for over 1400 years, Muslims just couldn't find DETAILS about/for these things in Quran. Oh ALL UNDERSTANDERS OF QURAN, oh follower of Rashid Khilafa's creed, please enlighten us with your profound "understanding" of the Quran. And save us from becoming the Muslims of the pre-1980s era.

Then, we can move on to other matters of worship and then soda, juice, wagaira wagaira.

Comment

PA, please finish your argument, so people like me can ask quries or comment.

Thanks!
                    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                      PA, please finish your argument, so people like me can ask quries or comment.

Thanks!

Its a LONG line my friend. We all want to learn from the learnt Mullah and student of Rashid KHilafa's creed- the "UNDERSTANDER" of QURAN, the all know it all master of Quranic secrets. Go take a nap.

PS: I wish, I could turn back the clock and take Mullah PA to those unfortunate "muslims." So many innocent people gone to hell for following QUran and Way of the prophet. Its just sad.

[This message has been edited by Serial Guppy (edited May 03, 2002).]

Comment

Serial Guppy,

Please don't laugh.

49 : 11

O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: it may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): nor let some women laugh at others: it may be that the (latter are better than the (former): nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: and those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.
                        So, even though I disagree with PakistaniAbroad, I give him the right to express his views & share his interpretation.
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

AJ, I am not laughing. Only excited that we have just discovered a man who would tell us about ISLAM that we never knew for over 1400 years!!! The "all know-it all" of quran.

rahe baat opinion express karney ki tuo, he has all the rights, no one is stoping him.

Comment

*still waiting!

------------------
                            "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
                            (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

Thank you PA for finally 'revealing' the way to pray from Quran. But hey, everybody knows that "ruku", "qyaam", "qai'da" are mentioned in Quran.... is there any preferred/required ORDER in what you do first and what you do last? or do you think that you can pray 'sajda' first and 'qyaam' last whichever is more convenient to you?

Comment

Working...
                              X