Pepsi Haraam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepsi Haraam?

I came across this interesting tidbit of information while eating in downtown Toronto at a muslim restaurant.

I asked for a pepsi and not coke; the man replied he doesn't sell any because it may contain ingredients of pig. So its better to be safe than sorry. His story to back his theory up was a woman who recently converted in egypt had a mission to find out what is permissable to eat and whats not and out of those she found pepsi to be questionable.

Now from egypt to canada; a word followed through a million mouths I'd like to ask someone to clarify this for me because we all know how rumours can deviate from one mouth to another.

First they say stop coca cola and now pepsi. I was practically raised on these drinks Its preposterous I tell ya!

Anyways, someone who can shoot out argument after another could put their research talent to use and kindly look into this matter. It would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Haan maine bhi sunna hai ke pepsi haraam hai. Because of that pig-reason.
    But I know that coca cola isn't haraam. Haan! But maine parrha hai ke Coca Cola Israel ko support karta hai with guns etc.
    !پاک فوج زندہ باد! پاکستان زندہ باد

Comment

Rather than eat yourself up over such conceptions/misconceptions, the best way is to simply call the 800 number listed on almost all products, regarding any questions you have. And be open with them, and ask them what the ingredients of their products are. They will provide you an entire list. And if you be specific and ask them about pork ingredients, they will let you know that as well.

So do the research yourself. Dont rely on random word of mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool Pakistani:
        Haan maine bhi sunna hai ke pepsi haraam hai. Because of that pig-reason.
        But I know that coca cola isn't haraam. Haan! But maine parrha hai ke Coca Cola Israel ko support karta hai with guns etc.
        Coca-Cola doesn't support Israel with guns. Coca-Cola did not invest in Israel until 1966, fearing a loss of sales in the arab world. However, the threat of legal action from American Jews forced Coca-Cola to enter the Israeli market in 1966.

Coca-Cola was immediately banned throughout the arab world. To try and compensate for the lost sales in Arab countries, Coca-Cola began massive investments in Israel to maximise its market share in Israel.

Things have now reached the point where Coca-Cola is lauded by the Israeli government for making a strong positive contribution to the Israeli economy - the Coca-Cola corporation significantly strengthens the Israeli economy; the Israeli economy funds the persecution of our brothers and sisters in Palestine and also Palestine's Christian population.

Pepsi, on the other hand, avoided all contact with Israel until the Arab world ended the boycott of Israel in 1991. For this reason, until the 1990s, Pepsi was completely avoided in certain social circles in America for being perceived as the anti-Jewish drink.

[This message has been edited by mAd_ScIeNtIsT (edited May 15, 2002).]
        Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
        Al-Ghazali

Comment

*called up and was told 'ABSOLUTELY NOT'!

Customer service lady was rather surprised! I sounded like a complete idiot asking if any of the ingredients in Pepsi's derived from pork or any of its sources.

I'm gonna go enjoy Pepsi Cola

Comment

Well, I am deeply concerned Saadia!!!

Are you sure the representative did not say things like 'As Far As I Know..' and 'To The Best Of My Knowledge' ?

That is how Goras lay down their escape routes you know!!

Anyway I would stick to 'Nimbu Paani' if I were you!!!

Make sure the Lemons are from Arabia though!!!

Comment

Pepsi originally got its name from the fact that it was supposed to be medicinal. One of the active ingredient was pepsin, an enzyme found in the stomach this was taken from animals including, I presume pigs although this practice was dicontinued years ago. This rumour seems to come around every few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
                Well, Are you sure the representative did not say things like 'As Far As I Know..' and 'To The Best Of My Knowledge' ?

That is how Goras lay down their escape routes you know!!
                that is true of brithish people AND Hindus, we all know how they use their brain to fight not their hands and emotions like sikhs and pakistanis. proved in the 1947 partition!

Thats makes you and them a like, asteen ke saanp, peeche se vaar karne valle

Comment

Originally posted by saimahasnain:
                  that is true of brithish people AND Hindus, we all know how they use their brain to fight not their hands and emotions like sikhs and pakistanis. proved in the 1947 partition!

Thats makes you and them a like, asteen ke saanp, peeche se vaar karne valle
                  LOL .. that last line is just way too hilarious. You sound like my mum!!!

Comment

If you cannot afford to buy a drink, you usually stick to 'nimbu paani'.

It's a cheap way to quench the thirst!! or should I say it's the Indian way of making Lemon Squash!!

See Ya!!

Comment

LOL @ saimahasnain & sholay!

Comment

All your comments might sound funny, but are not suited to the religion forum.

I'll request you all to tone it back to serious discussion and abide by the ethics and norms that govern talk surrounding religion.

You guys wouldnt like anyone ridiculing you or your religion. Guess what, neither would anyone else. So show some compassion and understanding. I cannot stay in sermon mode forever.

Comment

LOL @ saimahasnain

(but we've even some bigger "aasteen kay saanp" than the Hindus or the Yahood. Vo tou kuch zyaadah hi peechay say vaar kartay hain).

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT:
                            Coca-Cola doesn't support Israel with guns. Coca-Cola did not invest in Israel until 1966, fearing a loss of sales in the arab world. However, the threat of legal action from American Jews forced Coca-Cola to enter the Israeli market in 1966.

Coca-Cola was immediately banned throughout the arab world. To try and compensate for the lost sales in Arab countries, Coca-Cola began massive investments in Israel to maximise its market share in Israel.

Things have now reached the point where Coca-Cola is lauded by the Israeli government for making a strong positive contribution to the Israeli economy - the Coca-Cola corporation significantly strengthens the Israeli economy; the Israeli economy funds the persecution of our brothers and sisters in Palestine and also Palestine's Christian population.

Pepsi, on the other hand, avoided all contact with Israel until the Arab world ended the boycott of Israel in 1991. For this reason, until the 1990s, Pepsi was completely avoided in certain social circles in America for being perceived as the anti-Jewish drink.

[This message has been edited by mAd_ScIeNtIsT (edited May 15, 2002).]

A molana told me and molana's never lie
                            !پاک فوج زندہ باد! پاکستان زندہ باد

Comment

Pepsi and Coca Cola started out as 'tonics', drinks that people invented claiming that they would improve one's health, or serve as remedies.

Coca cola used to have cocaine as one of its ingredients, thats where its name comes from.
                              Pepsi used to have pepsin as one of its main ingredients, hence the name pepsi. Pepsin is a digestive enzyme, and when used as an ingredient is obtained from the digestive tract of pigs.

According to a documentary I saw a few years ago, those ingredients, i.e. cocaine & pepsin are not used anymore. I dont remember the exact dates when they stopped, I just remember it as being ages ago.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                              X