Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are ThereSectarian Differences Among Indian Muslims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are ThereSectarian Differences Among Indian Muslims?

What is the sectarian composition of Indian Muslims?

I never heard of Shia-Sunnin viloence among Indain Muslims!!!
    Or other sectarian violence for that matter.

How much is it because of the presence of Hindus?
    I mean Muslims coming together being a minoroity?

If that is the case, do other 'Islamic' countires ever try to follow Indian Muslims ?

As far as I know, There is no sectarian violence among Indian Hindus, or Indian Muslims or Indian Christians.

Comment

Why Not?

May be because they are INDIAN!!!

Comment

Yeah, they tend of join hands to fight be bigger evil! ;-)

j/k
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
          What is the sectarian composition of Indian Muslims?

I never heard of Shia-Sunnin viloence among Indain Muslims!!!
          Or other sectarian violence for that matter.

How much is it because of the presence of Hindus?
          I mean Muslims coming together being a minoroity?

If that is the case, do other 'Islamic' countires ever try to follow Indian Muslims ?
          The sectarian violence in Pakistan takes place mainly because of political reasons. Most, if not all, sects have a political party, and their way of disagreeing with each other is violence.

Secondly the Shia Sunni sectarian terrorism started in the late 80s, with the advent of parties like Sipah-e-Sahaba, and Tehrik-e-Nifaaz-e-Fiqah-e-Jafferia, and later on their respective terrorrist wings, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Sipah-e-Muhammad whos soul purpose is to spread terrorrism. So if there are no such elements in Sunni and Shia communities of India, large scale sectarian terrorrism won't happen.

As for the sectarian composition of Muslims in India, I've heard that your native Andhra Pardesh (mainly Hyderabad) is predominantly Shia, and the northern parts, UP, Delhi, Bihar and Gujrat are largly sunni.

------------------
          I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

Comment

Are 'Deobandis' Sunni or Shia?

Comment

May be because they are INDIAN!!!
              u crack me up Andhra!

But when those INDIAN hindus and INDIAN Muslims fight amongst each other hundreds and hundreds are dead in a single incidence. But hey, thats like .00000001% of the Indian population, which is nothing. So yeah..I guess u INDIANS are very peaceful!, or should I just say U are INDIANS!!!

------------------
              I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

Comment

I am not talkimg about Hindu-Muslim killings!!

Comment

Sunni - Shia violence is a problem in India.

But it's not so noticeable, because about 90% of Indian Muslims are Mainstream Muslims (Sunnis).

However, in areas with high Shia percentage, like Lucknow, (about 10% Shia, 25% Sunni, 65% Hindu/Sikh etc), Sunni - Shia violence is a problem.

Andhra, you are from South India, Sunni-Shia violence is mainly a North-Indian thing.

To the best of my knowledge, Shias in India are generally found in U.P, Gujarat and areas in or around Hyderabad.

[This message has been edited by Indian_Muslim (edited May 16, 2002).]

Comment

Are 'Deobandis' Sunni or Shia?
                    Deobandis are Sunni Muslims. Btw, don't try to divide the Muslims on imaginary lines.

Comment

As for the sectarian composition of Muslims in India, I've heard that your native Andhra Pardesh (mainly Hyderabad) is predominantly Shia,
                      No Hyderabad is predominantly Mainstream Muslim (Sunni).

[This message has been edited by Indian_Muslim (edited May 16, 2002).]

Comment

Indian_Muslim you should know best, but isn't our Hyderabad populated with Muslims of Iranian descent?

Aren't they supposed to be Shias?

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                          Yeah, they tend of join hands to fight be bigger evil! ;-)

j/k
                          most likely.

------------------
                          May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

I think this is a matter of Socioligy and Human psychology. I notice that when people live within a diverse group of people, they tend to get along with each other. This is because they see a greater threat from people who are not like them and choose to come closer to people who are. Sorta the way Pakistanis and Indians get along in America. The take comfort in the fact that they are all desi in a land of foreigners. But when you take a country like Pakistan, where everyone is Muslim, you find that often, the Muslims turn on each other. This is because there is no other group which would force anyone to make closer bonds with there own Kind. In Pakistan, the only "enemy" are other Muslims.

Comment

Indian_Muslim you should know best, but isn't our Hyderabad populated with Muslims of Iranian descent?

Aren't they supposed to be Shias?
                              First of all, it's very unlikely that Hyderabad is populated with Muslims of Iranian descent. Some, maybe, but certainly not the majority.

Secondly, Iran had been a SUNNI NATION for about 800 YEARS, but it was forcefully, and brutally converted to Shiism, beginning from the year 1501 or 1502 A.D.

So, Iran has been SUNNI about 300 or more year LONGER than it has been SHIA.

Comment

Working...
                              X