contradiction(another one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contradiction(another one)

Does anyone see a problem with this,does this mean there will be no 72 virgins waiting for the in heaven?

Islamic Glossary Home
    Jihad
    Other Commonly Used Spellings: JIHAAD
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion.

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.

Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:"There is no compulsion in religion" Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).

Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic state. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Islamic Server Home] | [Reference Materials] | [Glossary] | [Other Islamic Sites] | [Email MSA-USC]

There are strict rules of conducting war laid out in Judaism which ironically mimic Islamic precepts, also not often put into practice. The modern Zionists are equally quilty of aboragation of these similiar codes of conduct!

Comment

You have proof of this ,no doubt.

Comment

I am not the most capable to be able to provide links etc. for everything I come across due to my desire to find out a large picture of things. I have been called on the carpet here many times for this by many people. I will try to provide guidance on this. If I remember correctly a Jewish source on the Talmud would outline the rules. In order to fully understand this breech of tradition, it is important to know that the Israelis have done these things to the Palestinians since '48.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMASSO:
          I am not the most capable to be able to provide links etc. for everything I come across due to my desire to find out a large picture of things. I have been called on the carpet here many times for this by many people. I will try to provide guidance on this. If I remember correctly a Jewish source on the Talmud would outline the rules. In order to fully understand this breech of tradition, it is important to know that the Israelis have done these things to the Palestinians since '48.
          WHat?

Comment

a few more contradictions...

Pick up an English (or Spanish, or Dutch, or German) translation of the Quran and try to find the words 'holy war'. Those words do NOT exist in the Quran. Jihad's derivative is from the Arabic words 'j', 'h', 'd', meaning to struggle or to exert. um the label 'holy war' became synonymous with 'jihad' due to the Crusades, NOT because of any Islamic principles.

Long before the Geneva Conventions, long before the UN Charter, and long before the Convention on the Elimination of Racism, Islam had already laid down strict stipulations regarding the proper conduct in times of conflict: the elderly, the sick, places of worship, women and children cannot be targeted. Period. No military jargon-esque of 'collateral damage'. Long before international treaties were established discussing the treatment of prisoners in war, Islam had already defined it clearly in the Quran: prisoners of war were to be treated humanely under all conditions.

------------------
            It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away, so that when I've gone and come back, I'll find it at home ~ Rumi

Comment

And I am saying that similiar admonishments were also contained in the Talmud. I found this on the web, but alas cannot find it quickly at the present. One of the things I remember is that fruit trees of the enemy are not to be destroyed, as they are a source of income for the common people. The Israelis have done this. The outrage of the Palestinians is in part due to things well known to both Jews and the trespessed Arabs as against things clearly outlined by Islam and Judaism!

[This message has been edited by TOMASSO (edited May 13, 2002).]

Comment

Tomasso, I agree. As you are probably already aware, Islam considers Jews as ah lal kitab, People of the Book, i.e., those who (like Christians) believe in monotheism. I personally believe most religions don't possess negative principles that advocate injustices against others, it's only in the personal interpretation of religious scriptures and the politicization of the environment where one runs into many conflicts.

Comment

You don't really believe the 72 virgin thing do you? Where would all of these women come from? Aren't they people too? I really don't think there will be sex in heaven. Somehow I find it hard to believe that heaven, will be one big orgy. Sex is an earthly thing, designed to make more people.

Like I said I am assuming that you are not serious, about the 72 virgins.

Brenda

------------------
                  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!!!

Comment

As I have stated before, there is a constellation of stars named the 72 Virgins. Now, did Islam mean some celestial concept of heaven, adapt this concept to something else or mean, literally 72 virgins as a heavenly reward? The "dumb" American tradition of ridicule of anything foreign, especially in time of war, is not our best moment. The religious right must be having a field day with Islam. I can just picture it.

Comment

All these get out of jail free cards,its amazing,everyones a professor of religious law all of a sudden.
                      In other words their scriptures mean nothing,as each man can make of them as he will.
                      The scriptures are either to be observed or not,otherwise its not a religion,its a shambles.You cant have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMASSO:
                        There are strict rules of conducting war laid out in Judaism which ironically mimic Islamic precepts, also not often put into practice. The modern Zionists are equally quilty of aboragation of these similiar codes of conduct!
                        Are you serious T,this sounds like school playtime"Albert did it miss,so why cant i?"

Comment

Braveheart.

Muslims around the world have been yelling at the top of their throats, more so since 9/11, telling the so called civilized world to differentiate between terrorism and Jihad. Its sad that these differences are cited only when they suit the west in some way.

Jihad is commonly known to all arabic literates as the substitute for the word struggle. This struggle ranges from minor issues in life, like resisting and fighting the urge to commit sin, to major issues like resisting an enemy by means of weapons.

I dont know how the issue of 72 virgins fits in here, but seemingly it is being used more as a point of mockery than anything else. There are viable explanations for it, for those who wish to understand them.

As for get out of jail free cards, doesnt christianity have one for all christians as well, where Jesus suffered so none of his followers would have to?

The scriptures are either to be observed or not,otherwise its not a religion,its a shambles

Which scripture, in this day and age, is being observed in its true glory, if any? Not the Torah, not the Bible, and not the Quran. Does that mean all these religions are in shambles?

Comment

Tomasso

A constellation of stars, makes a lot more sense, than 72 human virgins. Yes I relize that a lot of Americans do riduicule anything foreign or different, but not all of us think that way.

Akif

You Said:

As for get out of jail free cards, doesnt christianity have one for all christians as well, where Jesus suffered so none of his followers would have to?

It isn't that simple. Yes we are taught that Jesus died for our sins, but that doesn't mean we can just do anything we want to, and still go to heaven. We have to repent for our sins and accept Jesus as our savoir and God. It might sound like a simple thing. But to me it is very hard to believe the entire story of Jesus and how he was born of a virgin, and somehow this man that was born of a woman is the son of God. So there really is no get out of jail card here.

Yes I do think all religions are rather in trouble. I think modern man has put to many of his own ideas into religion. I see things around me everyday that are truly shocking, but most people seem to think nothing of them.

Brenda

Comment

Originally posted by bcsm57:
                              .... and how he was born of a virgin, and somehow this man that was born of a woman is the son of God......
                              Dear Brenda,

so as per Christian belief, does it mean that God married Mary and then Jesus the Son was born(I ask God for forgiveness)?

did you ponder about "how a son can be born out of a virgin"?? what is that you find hard to believe?

------------------
                              May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

[This message has been edited by Changez_like (edited May 15, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X