"Muslims" airing on PBS TODAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Muslims" airing on PBS TODAY

PBS Frontline will air Muslims Today!Thursday, May 9, 2002 from 9pm to 11pm. Check local listings for channel information.

Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet is Coming to PBS Fall, 2002.

For more information, please visit:

IslaamProject

Muslims seeks to enrich understanding of the multifaceted ways that Muslims live their faith. The program will present an intimate look at the lives of the Muslims in various cultures around the world. Through detailed
    portraits of people in their daily lives, viewers will experience what it means to
    be Muslim in places as dissimilar as Nigeria, Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Malaysia and the United States. By showing the diversity of thought, practice, life-style and interpretation of text, the film will present a balanced and informed portrait of Muslims and the diversity among them Coming to PBS's FRONTLINE May 9, 2002 (Check local listings)

Videocassette and DVD are available from:
    Mystic Fire Video
    P.O. Box 2330
    Montauk, NY 11954
    Phone 800-292-9001
    <A HREF="http://www.mysticfire.com" TARGET=_blank>
    Online ordering </A>Price is $29.98 for VHS or DVD
    Shipping and handling is $4.95
    ################################################## #####

The Campaign

The year long campaign on Islaam,was developed by Active Voice and other project partners for interfaith groups, Muslim organizations, educators, civil rights leaders, policy-makers, and media professionals, the materials can promote a range of positive community outcomes:
    • RAISE PUBLIC AWARENESS
      Promote understanding and knowledge of Islaam, what it is and what it is not, and thereby help decrease acts of prejudice and discrimination

• BUILD BRIDGES
      -Create new alliances between American Muslim groups and others, of particular importance since 9/11
      -Deepen existing connections between Muslims and other faith-based communities
    • SUPPORT DIALOGUE
      -Encourage proactive, interfaith dialogue and coalition building on issues of diversity and the appreciation of pluralism

-Provide content to mosques and Muslim organizations to assist in their own outreach efforts

• OFFER EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
      -Provide activities and materials to middle school and high school teachers to help them meet state standards for teaching about world culture and re l i g i o n
    • SENSITIZE PROFESSIONALS
      -Educate journalists to help them do a better job of covering Muslim communities

-Offer employers and co-workers a creative entry point for understanding issues Muslims face in the workplace
    • The Films
      -MUSLIMS seeks to enrich understanding of the multifaceted ways that Muslims live their faith. The program will present an intimate look at the lives of Muslims in various cultures around the world.
      Through detailed portraits of people in their daily lives, viewers will experience what it means to be Muslim in places as dissimilar as Nigeria, Iran, Egypt, Turkey, Malaysia and the United States. By showing the diversity of thought, practice, life-style and interpretation of text, the film will present an objective and i n f o rmed portrait of Muslims and the diversity among them.
    • Coming to PBS May 9, 2002 (Check local listings)

MUSLIMS was produced by the Independent Production Fund for PBS Frontline, with major funding provided by The Pew Charitable Trusts and The William and Mary Greve Foundation. Additional funding was provided by the Lilly Achincloss Foundation and the Fetzer Institute.

-MUHAMMAD: LEGACY OF A PROPHET tells the story of the 7th century prophet who changed world history in 23 years, and continues to shape the lives of more than 1.2 billion people. Remarkably, this story that plays an increasingly vital role in world affairs remains virtually unknown to most Americans. Muhammad will create a lively, thorough, and honest portrait of Muhammad (SAW), the man and the prophet. It will take viewers not only to ancient Arabian sites where Muhammad's story unfolded, but into the homes, mosques and work places of some of America's seven million Muslims to discover the many ways in which they follow Muhammad's example.

Coming to PBS Fall, 2002 (Check local listings)

-MUHAMMAD: LEGACY OF A PROPHET was produced by Kikim Media and Unity Productions Foundation with funding provided by Corporation for Public Broadcasting, The David and Lucille Packard Foundation, Irfan Kathwari Foundation, Al-Hibri Foundation, Arabian Bulk Trade, LTD, Sohail Masoud, Sabadia Family Foundation, Qureishi Family Trust , Mir Imran and 4,000 individual donors.
    • The Tools
      Training and Technical Support
      The Active Voice team of facilitators, trainers and media strategists will help selected communities and organizations leverage The Islam Project films and related materials. In particular, Active Voice staff will customize technical assistance to interfaith, Muslim and civil rights organizations, educators, and partners, thereby building capacity on the grassroots and institutional level.

Community Action Kit
      Active Voice's Community Action Kit, a guide to planning and implementing community activities, will maximize the impact of the broadcasts and other screenings. The kit includes:

-Community planning guides

-Theme-based discussion guides

-Case studies of successful
      related projects

What Is Active Voice?

Active Voice is a multicultural, nonprofit team that helps groups use social issue television programs and films as tools for community building, citizen engagement and partnership development.

How do I get more information?

To inquire about The Islam Project and to get involved in local activities, please contact us at:

Active Voice
      2601 Mariposa Street
      San Francisco, CA 94110
      415.553.2841/[email protected]

Independent Production Fund (IPF), a nonprofit 501(c)(3), was established in 1988 to create, develop, produce and distribute programs and series that focus on issues of current concern. Its projects have aired on PBS and have been distributed to educational and health care institu-tions throughout the United States.

Kikim Media draws on 25 years of experience in print and broadcast journalism to engage, entertain and i n f o rm our audiences. Our pro d u c t i o n s are guided by our fundamental commitment to fairness and accuracy and by our abiding conviction that a true story, honestly told, can change people's lives.

Unity Productions Foundation is a nonprofit production company whose mission is to develop balanced, fair and accurate journalistic material concerning the world’s cultural and spiritual traditions in order to help increase understanding and tolerance.

Interactive Frameworks Inc. is led by Andree Hight Duggan and Will Duggan. The team formed the company in 1991 to help clients extend the reach, impact and effectiveness of l a rge- and small-scale communications and educational outreach projects. Major funding for the community engagement effort, called The Islam Project, was provided by the Carnegie Corporation of New York and The Nathan Cummings Foundation.

[This message has been edited by Muni (edited May 09, 2002).]

Muni,

A reposting or refreshing of this post would be great at the beginning of May. As a reminder. Thanks for sharing.

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Salaamz all!

Hey hey! May is here! Check your tv guide next week to see the local times for this program.

Insha'Allah u'll be able to catch it or tape it.

------------------
      Yaa Hayyu yaa Qayyoomu bi-rahmatika astagheethu aslih lee sha'nee kullahu wa laa takilnee ilaa nafsee tarfata 'ainin

Comment

Its airing TODAY! Make sure to watch.

Comment

Muni Thanks for your reminders!
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Sister thanks for the reminder, i watched it tonight

hmmm...i'm not sure if it was you, but did you post something about afghani kids that you can adopt here in america, or something like that in the general forum?? If you still have some info on that can you plz pm or just paste it here?

Jazak'Allah Khairun

------------------
            The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said:
            "Whoever sets out on a path to seek knowledge, Allaah will make easy his path to Paradise."
            [Saheeh Muslim]

Comment

I watched it and I have this question!

Why is it in most Islamic countries the government does not encourage the practice of other religions? There was this girl, who did not have any choice expect being a Moslem women in Saudi. But whe she came otu of it she had a choice to be a Muslim or follow other religion. (where she chose to remain a muslim).

Another country (I think Kenya) practices "Shariah" which helps them maintain an impeccable law and order. But Sharia is biasd against non-muslism, making everybody follow Islam without a choice!

Islamic coutnries prevent other to bring in idols, pictures of gods that are NOt their own. They ask for religion when applying for passport.

Why is all this?

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
                ....But Sharia is biasd against non-muslism, making everybody follow Islam without a choice!

NO. if you had followed the program carefully, it mentioned that there was a riot between Christians & Muslims. But once it was over, we don't hear of "Christians" persecution in Nigeria.

Islam allows other religions to 'co-exist'. There is a Chapter in Quran regarding them, but some people tend to pick examples of 'past rulers'. However, many a muslim (even if they were so-called Muslims) rulers in past have allowed Christians, Jews, Hindus to live (co-existence).

Islam does not say that we should convert all non-Muslims to Islam, but to convey the message and leave to reciepient's choice whether to accept or reject.

if some government is not following this requirement, isn't it clear that they are "dictators" on their own, making their own "sharia" in name of Islam? thats why I don't consider many countries as "Islamic".
                [/B]

------------------
                May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Aapki-

You'll have to do a search for "Muni" in "general" forum & I'm sure you can pull it up.

I've called and talked to all the people whose numbers were listed in the thread, and they assured me that the kids were here and ready for adoption. However, I did not go any further such as the adoption process itself. Someone kept insisting that it was a hoax so you'll have to call and find out for yourself and report back to us.

Jazakillah Khairun

------------------
                  Yaa Hayyu yaa Qayyoomu bi-rahmatika astagheethu aslih lee sha'nee kullahu wa laa takilnee ilaa nafsee tarfata 'ainin

Comment

Masha'Allah, very well done - balanced portrayal, diversity of perspectives, at last showing Islam is not monolithic. Enjoyed it. Thumbs up to all who watched the programme (or at least tried to), and especially to Muni who was the first to inform us of this PBS programme. Check out a chat transcript here with Anisa Mehdi, the Executive Producer, held after the airing. For the main PBS Frontline website with loads of info. check out "Muslims".

They are airing it again....on May 16 at 9:00pm EST following by May 17 at 2:00 pm EST.
                    Many many thanks, Pumpkin

Comment

Excellent program...
                      But why didn't they go to Pakistan, India, and Indonesia? They have the biggest Mulsim populations... ??!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X