X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E = mc (squared)

Asalamualikum,

I was reading a book recently and came across this:

"Einstien's theory of relativity (E=mc squared, Energy is equal to mass times the square of the speed of light) taught in all schools is in fact an expression of Shrik in Tawheed al-Asmaa wa as-Sifaat. The theory states that enevergy can neither be created nor destroyed; it merely transforms into matter and vice-versa. However, both matter and energy are created entities and they both will be destroyed as Allah clearly states:

"All is the creator of all things" (39:62)
    "Everything in this world will perish" (55:26)

The theory also implies that mass and energy are eternal having no beginning or no end. since they are supposed to be uncreated and transform into each other. However this attribute belongs only to Allah"

Comments people?
    IMO, this is taking it a step too far.. the theory states that energy or matter can not be created(destroyed) in normal circumstances, but does it really negate the principles of Tawheed?

------------------
    L䧧, Pz hQd, Hm hl, Tm dR..

Tawheed Al Asma was sifat = Maintaining the unity of Allah's names and His attributes.

Comment

Why do we have to discuss things/issues like these is beyond me!
      I do remember that I had read a quotation in the daily Dawn that Hazrat Ali had forbidden his fellow Muslims to get entangled into a web of futile and useless discussions the answer of which will lead to further complication!

Comment

I do not wish to engage in a useless discussion, but here's something which made me think. The Prophet(PBUH) said that the majority of us engage in shirk when we dont even know we're doing it.

It was something on my mind hence the question. Like i stated above, to me it feels that its taking it a step too far, but for a general understanding of those who're better followers of Islam than I am, i decided to ask.

Comment

Since science does not seek to prove or disprove the existence of God at this time, the theory of relativity deals with the in between on God's creation and destruction of those things you mention. Within the context of God's creation, is it really known how he creates or destroys, anyway? E=MC2 is something man needs to deal with in God's created universe, it would seem.

[This message has been edited by TOMASSO (edited May 12, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by TOMASSO:
            E=MC2 is something man needs to deal with in God's created universe, it would seem.
            Ditto. This is what my initial thoughts were, that e=mc2 is simply needed to deal with things within this universe at this current period of life.

Comment

What if Allah is THE energy. then it won't perish. Also, an ayat that says "kun fa-yakoon" ( ho ja, to woh ho jaati hai)

Comment

well the theory of realtivity does say that u can convert mass to energy....
                so perhaps Allah might be planning to convert all the mass (the one thats supposed to perish) to energy that will be utilized to fuel the Hellfire or to make up the energy the dwellers of Heaven will need since they wont be *really eating* to get energy....

all in all, i dont think it counts in shirk....
                besides the theory does say that energy and mass cant be created which cud be assumed true as far as human powers r concerned....

------------------
                "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
                Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Remember that the Theory of Relativity, which is mathematically generally expressed as E=M(C*C), is only a theory.

Already, scientists are finding clues suggrsting that Einstein's calculations are flawed. For example, one research group in America claimed to be able to accelerate light beyond the normal speed of light - something which is impossible according to the Theory of Relativity.

E=mc(squared) may be close to accurate, but also may not hold true under all circumstances. Research is still continuing.
                  Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                  Al-Ghazali

Comment

for me all laws of nature comply with Islam.

but I want to state something else: einstein theory of relativity is something more than his famous formula E=MC squared.

the theory of relativity stated that the speed of light is constant! therefor time is a dependent variable of speed! (instead of the conventional physics, which states that speed is dependent on time): in other words: if you have a certain speed your time will go slower than someone who is standing still--------------> if u extrapolate this: if someone can go with the speed of light, his time will be still: in other words if you can go faster than light, you will be travelling in time!
                    E=MC2 is just a minor part of this theory (but if i remember correctly, this formula wasn't even part of this theory, it was for something else he found out )

furhtermore, there are other theories supplementiong and complementing the theory of Einstein: e.g. the quantum-physics and the super-string theory: but I'm not very advanced in these theories, only a beginner :0
                    Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by ammarr:
                      Asalamualikum,

I was reading a book recently and came across this:

"Einstien's theory of relativity (E=mc squared, Energy is equal to mass times the square of the speed of light) taught in all schools is in fact an expression of Shrik in Tawheed al-Asmaa wa as-Sifaat.

Discussions of this sort are actually meaningless and self-defeating. Firstly, they make the presumption that there is a God, otherwise there would be no 'shirk'. Belief in God requires adherence to a set of beliefs that cannot be proven. Secondly, it would be wrong to link scientifically solid theories such as Einstein's Special and General Theories to arguments on shirk, largely because Einstein's theories can be observationally proved and serve as a basis for prediction of future results. This is what all theories require.

Mad Scientist, you have to remember that Einstein's theories have been observationally proven and used to predict, so they are not just theories in isolation. Remember, celestial mechanics and space flight have come about as a result of such theories.

It would be better for people who like to ponder such extremes to treat such arguments by imaging that God created the universe, and everything that happens is within his creation, and that theories merely describe or give reasons behind the creation.

If you are like me, you will believe in the Big Bang theory. The Holy Qur'an alludes to this theory as well. However, the thinking person will immediately reason that the Big Bang places a restriction on when God carried out his work.

The other arguments are teleological arguments which do not preclude the existence of God due to the attributes of the universe.

Comment

Working...
                      X