• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Somebody expand the Acronymns?

I constantly see Allah(swt).
    What does swt stand for?
    I know PBUH !!!
    ALso I observed devout Muslims on this board have a way of dropping these acronymns left and RIght.
    I find it difficult to follow, especially the Arabic Ones.

Can somebody give me a list?
    You know I thought PBUH was some kind of Diploma at first!!

Andha

let me enlighten you

swt - Subhanahu Wa 'ta Ala

which is said after you mention Allah.

Im not an expert, and perhaps others can can elaborate, but it means the praise-worthy, and the most exaulted/high.

Comment

As with most things related to technology (text-messaging etc) you will find alot of commonly used words and phrases will be abbreviated, and as Muslims often praise the creator and invoke the blessings of ALLAH SWT upon his noble PROPHET PBUH, you will come across alot of acronyms, especially in this forum.

PBUH is the highest diploma, the highest achievment bestowed upon one man out of every human being that has ever came, is or will be. So I guess you guessed right Andha!

If you come across any that confuse you, please feel free to ask!

MAGUOBYB! Ameen!

[This message has been edited by Alpha1 (edited May 10, 2002).]

Comment

Yes, when I talk about Krishna, I usually say Hazrat Krishan (as)

Confused?
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Oh sorry for butting in, I didn’t know that the only people whose names begin with “A” are invited in this discussion.

I am really very sorry. Please don’t be mad at me. PBUY and GTH

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
            GTH
            Whatever Allah Wills

Comment

NYAhmadi bhiajan, your name is not too different either. So stop whining.
              I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
              - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Alpha Bhai Jan and Ahmad Bhaijan, thank you for your kind words.

My father has an Indian Hindu friend, and whenever they communicate with one another (usually via writing letters), it is so pleasant to read their letters. My father always addresses him as Muhtaram, and always begins his letter with “Bismallah” and ends it with “Salam and Allah Hafiz”. His Hindu friend is equally courteous.

I think Andhra has opened a very good topic to discuss. If we don’t know what each other means, how can we know what is in each other’s heart.

God Bless.

Comment

Baba NYA ji

You make an even better point. But this relates to how things are today in general, not just in terms of religious discussion in Gupshup. In the other subject areas (Pakistan affairs, and others) we have acronyms such as PAF/IAF/ISI/ and many more.

Here in the UK, we have had an explosion in the use of text-messaging using mobile (cell-phones) (I hear you guys in the US are only now beginning to think about the concept). Messages are sent using a variety of different acronyms that will totally confuse the uninitiated (I'm included). What this does for proper communication who knows.

What is in peoples' hearts only Allah alone knows. You could write a fine letter, but still not know what is in a person's heart.

Comment

Alpha Bhai Jan..you are right. No one knows what is in other people’s heart. But we can make an effort to get fairly close to it. And it is not just the acronyms, but also the full blown terms, e.g., Jazak Allah, etc., that people may not be familiar with. Once they know what it means, they can get an idea as to what the intentions of the other are.

You are talking about sending paging messages on the handy. Bhai sahib, I still use my smith-corona and am proud of it.

In terms of technology, Americans usually invent it, use the Brits as guinea pigs, and then market it in America if the technology is safe. So I believe you.

Comment

Like when they sent the British Marines to clear the Al-Qaeeda and make it safe for the US troops - hmm, i guess your right there!

Back to the topic, I think that there is also the fact that people use phrases so often and without any regard that the phrase no longer has any meaning for that person.

You might have come-across people who use the phrase "In-ShaAllah" with everything, and so often that they abbreviate it and say "shallah". We call them the "Shallah brigade".

I think we should all think before we speak and in such a way that the other person understands - even if it means taking that extra few moments to type out the entire translated phrase.

Comment

>>Yes, when I talk about Krishna, I usually say Hazrat Krishan (as) <<

No I understand 'Hazrat' Ahmedjee.
                        You see, the Railway Station in New Delhi is called 'Hazrat' Nizamuddin and that place in Ajmeer is called 'Hazrat' something 'Chisti'.

Actually I visited that shrine at Ajmeer as a kid!!

Guess it was the second Muslim spot I visited after the Taj.
                        I understood the Graves at Taj, but remember I was confused to see there was only a kind of 'Cot' in the Sanctum Sanctorum instead of an Idol at Chsti!!!

Alpha1, I am familiar with 'Inshah Allah' and 'Khuda Hafeez'!!!

Comment

hazrat is just a title put as respect in the Urdu language....
                          just as Hindi has *shri*
                          Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Working...
                          X