Islam and Voodooism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islam and Voodooism

I just talked to my aunt in Boston who told me that she was doing a 'Wazeefa' for my cousin who is suffering from a chronic infection. When I asked her what this wazeefa was, she told me that she was instructed (by some Sufi Sahib) to recite Sur'ah Yaseen 217 times every day. I didn't say anything to her, but couldn't help but wonder about the origin of these wazeefas. This is not the first time I have seen people performing these wazeefas with a certain magical number of times a particular verse or chapter of Quran has to be recited.

Now I do believe in the spiritual effects we can have from the recitation of Qur'an (to an extent), but using it to make supernatural solutions to our everyday problems is pure voodooism to me. There are countless examples of these acts, including the calendars hanging in the shops (in Pakistan) that have some quranic verses written in a certain order to make the business successful ?? What's that about ? Don't get me wrong, i think it's a good thing to have those verses on display as it will keep reminding you of Allah and your faith, but having them there for magical help in your business, pardon me, but i think they are incorporating voodooism into Islam.

I find it disturbing because it may seem a harmless practice at this time, but it could change into something totally unislamic over time. Anthropology tells us that Hinduism was/is a monoetheist religion, but centuries of ignorant practices have led the majority of hindus to believe in separate gods as opposed to individual aspects of one God (as explained to me by one of my hindu friends). I am afraid that if we don't try to change this trend, this may very well become a part of Islam.

I am interested in knowing how other Muslims here feel about it ?

[This message has been edited by *Zaalim (edited April 29, 2002).]
    You'll get nothing, and like it

Interesting! I don't think wazeefas were done by the prophet (SAW).

Comment

I have similar feeling, that doing certain act certain number of times will get you that, this and that etc are not true. I have not yet encountered an ayat which tells this type of action or even hadith.

------------------
      May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

Well Hindus do exactly the same thing!!!

They recite a 'Mantra' 12, 116, 1116 whatever number of times.

Are you telling me Muslims are not really different?

Comment

I am not sure whether vazifas are right or not but they are very common.

and I dont see any harm in them, what we do is just pray a specific number of times.

Prophet Muhammad told ones a man to recite specific verse a number of time (remember the story in which the person forgot the verses and recited it in a way that change the meaning but still got what he needed. and prophet said that its because of "niyeat". if intentions are good than Allaha will listen to your prayers even if you have recited them wrong).

and we are also told to recite certain suara a certain numebr of times.(like reciting 3rd kalma three times is as much savab as reciting whole Quran).

So i dont think that vazeefas did not existed in Prophet Muhammad times neither are they are unislamic.

When some women have spelled on prophet Muhammad , than he recited last suras of quran and got the comb from well. That also sounds like a vazeefa because he recited verses a specific number of times. And it worked.

------------------
          What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions will be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort that religion offers is that God is driving that bus.

All racists who are prepared to die for their contry, please do that now.

Comment

Andhra

Muslims and Hindus are worlds apart,let alone alike!!!

i.e
            Earth and Mars
            Apples and Oranges
            Fire and Water
            Black and Blonde
            Hindus and Muslims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ask Ibrahim if the original religion that became known as Hinduism is as apart as you say. It is something I learned of here.

Comment

Well the truth is that even in the Holy Quran, instances are mentioned where there is an indirect reference to what we term as black magic, so the existence definately is there.Regarding the issue of recitation of an Ayat for a specific number of times, this is too a truth as we recite the Qul for 3 times and it is said that it equals to the sawab of the Holy Quran, so this too is true but it has always been said to ask the permission of a learned Islamic Scholar prior to initiating such self voluntary recitations as it is said that each and every word of thte Holy Quran is guarded by Muwakkils and the recitation may therefore, if not permitted by an Alam of Islam, might render even harmful effects!

Comment

How are Islamic prayer beads structured?

Comment

Originally posted by TOMASSO:
                    How are Islamic prayer beads structured?
                    yeaha, its a good question. they are usually 100 or 33 (not sure).

that proves there isnt anyting wrong in vazifas.

are you doing PHD in islamic civilization? orsome other course like that world religions or whatever.

because you know a lot and always have good questions.

------------------
                    What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions will be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort that religion offers is that God is driving that bus.

All racists who are prepared to die for their contry, please do that now.

Comment

Secret and Rbee:

There's a difference between reciting some verses a certain number of times (as it is done in Salat), and BELIEVING that reciting a particular combination of verses a certain number of times will get you something. I am not disputing the existence of magic, nor am I repudiating the claim that Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) was told to use Surah Khalaq/Naas against the spell cast on him by a witch. It is the misuse of Quran that disturbs me.

Quran was revealed for guidance, and not to be used as a runic scriptrue to solve our daily life problems. Designing wazifas (yeah, that's what they seem to be doing nowadays), and making people believe that it will get them the job they want, or cure their disease is an attempt to use Quran as a magic book. I am sure that you at least agree with the use of magic being forbidden.

And I am not aware of these wazifas being suggested by the prophet (PBUH) himself. Can you provide any references ?

You'll get nothing, and like it

Comment

Secret Obsession, thank you ma'am, (hey, ma'am is Arabic, no). No, I'm not doing PHD work, most of what I know, I've learnt here and from US TV documentaries, recently. If these wazifas are a new developement, Zaalim's caution might be in order. It does trivialize some serious things. The positive truths in Islam are truly great, especially the statements regarding different cultures as being made by God for man's benefit and diversity. Many ideas have been going off like so many proverbial light bulbs, lately.

Comment

My mother in law reads the Qur'an everyday and then when she has finished she blows into a glass of water and then give it to me - or anyone else who is there - to drink.

I have often wondered where this comes from.

Comment

I have often wondered where this comes from.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith Hadith 7.631 Narrated by Aisha

During the Prophet's fatal illness, he used to recite the Mu'auwidhat (Surat An-Nas and Surat Al-Falaq) and then blow his breath over his body. When his illness was aggravated, I used to recite those two Suras and blow my breath over him and make him rub his body with his own hand for its blessings." (Ma'mar asked Az-Zuhri: How did the Prophet use to blow? Az-Zuhri said: He used to blow on his hands and then passed them over his face.)

Al-Muwatta Hadith Hadith 50.10

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Urwa ibn az-Zubayr from A'isha that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, when he had a complaint, would recite the last three suras of Qur'an, over himself and blow. She said, "When his pain was great, I would recite it over him and wipe him with his right hand hoping for its blessing."

Comment

Is it known what your Prophet suffered from?

Comment

Working...
                              X