X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Penalty Sought for Conversion.

Death Penalty Sought in Nigeria
    Thu Apr 25,11:16 AM ET

MADA, Nigeria (AP) - Muslim prosecutors sought the death penalty for two men accused of converting from Islam to Christianity, a crime for which an Islamic court judge gave the accused men three days to reconvert.

Lawali Yakubu and Ali Jafaru, villagers in their 30s, were accused in the Islamic, or Shariah, court in the northern town of Mada of recently abandoning the Islamic faith and joining the Great Commission Movement, an international Evangelical church with a strong following in Nigeria.

Auwal Jabaka, the court judge, said Wednesday that although the Muslim holy book, or Quran, calls for the execution of Muslims who accept another religion, it was unclear whether the state's two-year-old Shariah penal code also permitted such a punishment.

Jabaka adjourned the court for three days to allow the accused to "change their minds" and convert back to Islam.

In the meantime, he called on the Zamfara government to clarify its position on the matter.

"If the law empowers me to (execute the two for converting from Islam to Christianity), I will have no hesitation in doing that," the judge said.

Yakubu and Jafaru were not represented by lawyers but were instead accompanied by fellow church members.

The two argued they had never been Muslims, but were instead members of the Magazawa, a Hausa subgroup that has long practiced Christianity. The overwhelming majority of Hausas one of Nigeria's largest tribes are Muslim.

The case was believed to be the first of its kind since a dozen predominantly Muslim northern states began implementing Shariah law in early 2000, despite virulent opposition from mainly Christian and animist southerners.

In the past two years, thousands of Muslims and Christians have been killed in periodic bursts of inter-religious bloodletting.

"Whomsoever Allah guides, he is the Guided one & whomsoever He sends Astray, the those! they are the losers." Surah 7/178

May Allah ta'ala safe us from all the evil Fitnahs in this world. Ameen

"The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned feel fear in their hearts & when His verses are recited to them they increase their Faith". Surah 8/2

Comment

That's really bad. Very Bad if those guys are executed.

Comment

Interesting, I'm very surprised by this especially since true Islaam advocates religious tolerance. In my personal opinion this is wrong to seek the death penalty of the converts. We as humans do not have the capability to judge other humans, we have no idea how those people will live in the future, if they will revert back to Islaam.

In any case, Justice shall prevail...if not here, definitely in the hereafter.

Comment

2:256 Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things.

this verse here says there is no compulsion in religeon. the human mind has enough ability to distinguish true from false. if those men feel christianity is their piece of cake, i dont think why anybody should stop them.

i am not sure where in the Quran that judge found out that people who abandon islam should be executed.
          Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Comment

Assalam-o-alikum..

Is this specified anywhere in Quran and HAdith that the converts should be executed ?

Thanks..

------------------
            .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.
            Allah-o-Akbar

,_ ,
            (O,O)
            ()
            -"--"--- To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target

Comment

I think that's very very unfair...God gave every human the right to choose and in the end He will judge them for their actions...
              Humans have no right to decide their death!

------------------
              • I was born with a defective eye ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by FlameZz:
                Assalam-o-alikum..

Is this specified anywhere in Quran and HAdith that the converts should be executed ?

Thanks..

SAHIH BUKHARI:
                "Any one who leaves Islam - Kill him";

Many similar hadeeths!

Comment

Originally posted by MadCon:
                  I think that's very very unfair...God gave every human the right to choose and in the end He will judge them for their actions...
                  Humans have no right to decide their death!

There is "No Choosing" under islam. Once you are in Islam you are in it - lock, stock & barrel.

You LEAVE Islam - You will be killed!
                  You blaspheme Islam - You may be killed!

Comment

Nigeria declares Sharia unconstitutional

For those of you who are interested, You can find an article about this in the North Africa folder. http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum25/HTML/004232.html

Comment

Nigeria declares Sharia unconstitutional
                      No Court or laws of Man can VOID the Laws of Allah! ----- Ulema Express

Comment

Originally posted by faceup:
                        SAHIH BUKHARI:
                        "Any one who leaves Islam - Kill him";

Many similar hadeeths!
                        my friend, you are quoting too much with too little references. please refer me to the hadith number.

anyways i just quoted from the quran itself that there is no bar to anyone who leaves or joins islam. its a free world. anything said in the quran is always taken of more importance than any hadith.
                        Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Comment

per Chee Gum:
                          my friend, you are quoting too much with too little references. please refer me to the hadith number.
                          BOOK OF BUKHARI
                          Volume 9, Book 89, Number 271:
                          Narrated Abu Musa:

A man embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism. Mu'adh bin Jabal came and saw the man with Abu Musa. Mu'adh asked, "What is wrong with this (man)?" Abu Musa replied, "He embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism." Mu'adh said, "I will not sit down unless you kill him (as it is) the verdict of Allah and His Apostle

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 260:
                          Narrated Ikrima:

'Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn 'Abbas, who said, "Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, 'Don't punish (anybody) with Allah's Punishment.'
                          No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' "

Comment

Of course this COMMAND to:
                            "Kill those who leave Islam"

can only be implemented under the laws of sharia as in jurisdiction which has IMPLEMENTED Islamic laws like Nigeria, for example.

The history of Islam is replete with proof of attrocities DIRECTED against bahais of Iran, ahmedias of Pakistan, for example, under the guise of Apostasy & Blasphemey laws of the Sharia'h.

Comment

Personally I do not believe that leaving Islam deserves the death penality. Its not like the Bombay underworld where once you get in, there is no getting out and if you try to then you get killed

The matter is further complicated when a person converts to another sect from a mainstream sect. That person might still believe that he/she is still a muslim (and he/she might be right, only Allah knows) but the larger muslim sects might have declared that smaller sect to be anti-islam. Now in this case the person has not publicly declared that he renounces the Quran or something similar and yet he/she might be put to death.

However, I would like to draw up another analogy as well. Many countries have the death penality for treason against the state. Im pretty sure that both Paksitan and the USA have that. And by the same token if turning against the Big Ruler (God) shouldnt be punished by death then turning against your country should also be not punished by death.

Comment

Working...
                              X