Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:!: The Free Slaves :!:

Source:YMFN

The Prophet Muhammad strongly encouraged and actively solicited the freeing of slaves and declared it one of the greatest deeds of righteousness in Islam. His Companions, such as Sayyidna Abu Bakr (radhi Allahu 'anh) and others who had the financial means, would personally free the weakest and most persecuted among the slaves from the bondage of Makkan tribal leaders, using their own wealths and possessions. The emancipation of slaves is not only a 'good deed' in Islam, but indeed required as an expiation for many of the severe sins where slavery exists.

Although slavery existed in the world before the advent of Islam in Arabia, and lingered on as a cultural practice, in Muslim societies it never degraded into an organized state-sponsored practice of racial oppression, exploitation of minorities and foreigners, or the subjugation and humiliation of an entire conquered people for the purposes of 'cheap labour' as was the case with Europeans and its 'Christian' colonialists.

This was mainly due to Islam's unequivocal declaration of the infinite value of all human life [the death of single Muslim is worse than the destruction of the holy Ka'abah and no human life is violable without just cause], the divine honour bestowed to all humans [humans are God's representatives on earth and its guardians], their equality before God as His slaves [no soul is superior to another except in righteousness] and their inalienable rights to safety, dignity, honour and freedom.

"Your slaves are your brethren upon whom Allah has given you authority. So, if one has one's brethren under one's control, one should feed them with the like of what one eats and clothe them with the like of what one wears. You should not overburden them with what they cannot bear, and if you do so, then help them (in their hard job)." [Bukhari]

This is the road to true social, mental and psychological emancipation of slaves: the recognition of their full humanity and divine entitlement to rights, the restoration of their honour, dignity and participation in society after freedom, the opportunity for them to free themselves in absence of other avenues, their education and unhindered, undiscriminated assimilation into the 'free' community, and their just and fair treatment by individuals not just in words and deeds, but perceptions and attitudes. An "Emancipation Proclamation" is only as good as its actual manifestation in the hearts, minds, feelings, and attitudes of people and society. Islamic history is filled with examples of how the 'slaves of Islam' became the 'leaders of humanity': from the lone Sayyidna Bilal (radhi Allahu 'anh) to the unmatched scholarship, learning and leadership of the African 'ulema who at one point in time outnumbered those of Arab origin!

The Prophet declared on many occasions: "Whoever frees a Muslim slave, Allah will save all the parts of his body from the Fire as he has freed the body-parts of the slave!" [Bukhari] Many other narrations make no distinction between a Muslim or a non-Muslim slave.

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Slavery was a Sharia'h in Saudi Arabia until 1962.

Slavery was pratised under the Ottoman Caliphate.

Quran permits taking/capturing of slaves & sex-captives as booty of war in Jihad.

Comment

faceup please refer me to the chapter and verse number in the Quran where it says sex captives are allowed.
      Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Comment

Originally posted by cHEeGUm:
        faceup please refer me to the chapter and verse number in the Quran where it says sex captives are allowed.
        Translation: Pickthall
        [al-Ahzab 33:50] O Prophet! Lo! We have made lawful unto thee thy wives unto whom thou hast paid their dowries, and those whom thy right hand possesseth(concubines)of those whom Allah hath given thee as spoils of war, and the daughters of thine uncle on the father's side and the daughters of thine aunts on the father's side, and the daughters of thine uncle on the mother's side and the daughters of thine aunts on the mother's side who emigrated with thee, and a believing woman if she give herself unto the Prophet and the Prophet desire to ask her in marriage - a privilege for thee only, not for the (rest of) believers - We are Aware of that which We enjoined upon them concerning their wives and those whom their right hands possess - that thou mayst be free from blame, for Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.

Comment

Would anyone like to see Sahih Hadeeths that talk about:
          SEIZING the jews as Slaves and Distributing them amongst the believers;

Sex with the female captives.

Or,
          the detailed Islamic laws that outlines the code of conduct vis-a-vis the Slaves.

Comment

only when you convert to islam your slave satus is removed? is it true?

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
              I'm not sure. But the Nizam of Hyderabad freed my family from slavery when we became muslims in the 18th century.
              Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
              Al-Ghazali

Comment

faceup,

the verse is addressed to the Prophet and makes a special provision for him ONLY.

This fact is confirmed at the end by the use of the words "This only for thee, not for the believers at large".

------------------
                The Mothership is now boarding
                JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                  no, as discussed in Quran, there r both muslim and non-muslim slaves allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                    faceup,

the verse is addressed to the Prophet and makes a special provision for him ONLY.

This fact is confirmed at the end by the use of the words "This only for thee, not for the believers at large".

so, r u saying that, in the time of prophet, there were no slaves in the hands of ashaba?

Comment

Originally posted by WhoAmI:
                      so, r u saying that, in the time of prophet, there were no slaves in the hands of ashaba?
                      all I am saying is that he cannot use that verse to prove his point.

Your turn.

------------------
                      The Mothership is now boarding
                      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                        all I am saying is that he cannot use that verse to prove his point.

Your turn.
                        so u r being shy from confirming that female and male slaves were common in His period. I think ur stand is even belying ur stand

If prophet had been against enslavements, then he would have been very vocal about it, as he was about drinking and gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by faceup:
                          Slavery was a Sharia'h in Saudi Arabia until 1962.
                          Do you know the meaning of shar'iah?
                          Quran permits taking/capturing of slaves & sex-captives as booty of war in Jihad.
                          Making statements like these without knowledge will make you responsible for all who read and get misled.

------------------
                          Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

so u r being shy from confirming that female and male slaves were common in His period. I think ur stand is even belying ur stand
                            Slavery was predominant in that time and slaves were the biggest assets of all people. Islam gradually discouraged the keeping of slaves. Allah, in His Wisdom (not Mohammad, sallallaho alaihe wasallam, as you insinuate) did not put a stop to it like He did for alcohol as the matters were totally different. This is a matter that needs study and making statements without knowledge can mislead.

------------------
                            Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

[This message has been edited by FactFinder (edited April 30, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by FactFinder:
                              Slavery was predominant in that time and slaves were the biggest assets of all people. Islam gradually discouraged the keeping of slaves. Allah, in His Wisdom (not Mohammad, sallallaho alaihe wasallam, as you insinuate) did not put a stop to it like He did for alcohol as the matters were totally different. This is a matter that needs study and making statements without knowledge can mislead.

i have not denied that slavery was not common. In fact the prophet made the conditions of salves a lot better. But salvery was not forbidden in any way.

r u saying that drinking alcohol is more sinful than enslaving someone? drinking is personal act, but slavery is not. so had it been a sin or bad in His views, He would have forbidden salvery forst than drinking.

There is no hadith which openly discourages salvery. If there were, we would have seen no slavery at the end of His period.

But slavery was as much important for ppl's lives as opium cultivation for Afghan rebels since 70s. It was an economic reality, which muslims used to their advantage in preparing muslim armies and attracting young poor ppl to wars so that they can claim 'maal-e-ghanimat' (goods of infidels after war).

can u deny that?

Comment

Working...
                              X