X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Night and Day are Signs of the Great Power of Allah

Tafsir Ibn Kathir
    © Dar us Salam

And We have appointed the night and the day as two Ayat (signs). Then, We have obliterated the sign of the night (with darkness) while We have made the sign of the day illuminating, that you may seek bounty from your Lord, and that you may know the number of the years and to count (periods of time). And We have explained everything in detail with full explanation.
    [Surah Al-Isra 17 Ayah 12]

Allah reminds us of the great signs that He created, including the alternation of the night and day, so that people may rest at night, and go out and earn a living, do their work, and travel during the day, and so that they may know the number of days, weeks, months and years, so they will know the appointed times for paying debts, doing acts of worship, dealing with transactions, paying rents and so on. Allah says:

that you may seek bounty from your Lord.

meaning in your living and travels etc.

and that you may know the number of years and to count.

If time stood still and never changed, we would not know any of these things, as Allah says:

Say: "Tell me! If Allah made the night continuous for you till the Day of resurrection, which god besides Allah could bring you light? Will you not then hear?" Say: 'Tell me! If Allah made the day continuous for you till the Day of resurrection, which god besides Allah could bring you night wherein you rest? Will you not then see? It is out of His mercy that He has made for you the night and the day that you may rest therein and that you may seek of His bounty - and in order that you may be grateful.
    [Surah Al-Qasas 28 Ayahs 71-73]

Blessed be He Who has placed the big stars in the heaven, and has placed therein a great lamp (sun), and a moon giving light. And He it is Who has put the night and the day in succession, for such who desires to remember or desires to show his gratitude.
    [Surah Al-Furqan 25 Ayahs 61-62]

and His is the alternation of the night and day
    [Surah Al-Mu'minun 23 Ayah 80]

He makes the night to go in the day and makes the day to go in the night. and He has subjected the sun and the moon (to His law). Each running (on a fixed course) for an appointed term. Is not He the Exalted in Power - He Who forgives again and again?
    [Surah Az-Zumar 39 Ayah 5]

(He is the) Cleaver of the daybreak. He has appointed the night for resting, and the sun and the moon for reckoning. Such is the measuring of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing.
    [Surah Al-An'am 6 Ayah 96]

And a sign for them is the night. We withdraw therefrom the day, and behold, they are in darkness. And the sun runs on its fixed course for a term (appointed). That is the decree of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing.
    [Surah Ya-Sin 36 Ayah 37-38]

Allah has made the night a sign having distinguishing features by which it is known. These features include the darkness and the appearance of the moon. The day also has distinguishing features by which it is known; the light and the appearance of the shining sun. He has made a distinction between the light of the moon and the light of the sun so that they may be distinguished from one another, as Allah says:

It is He Who made the sun a shining thing and the moon a light and measured for it stages that you might know the number of years and to count (periods of time). Allah did not create this but in truth.
    [Surah Yunus 10 Ayah 5 ]

Verily, in the alternation of the night and the day, and in all that Allah hath created, in the heavens and the earth, are signs for those who fear Him.

[Surah Yunus 10 Ayah 6]

They ask you about the crescent moons. Say: "These are signs to mark fixed periods of time for mankind and for the pilgramage."
    [Surah Al-Baqarah 2 Ayah 189]

Then, We have obliterated the sign of the night with darkness while We have made the sign of the day ilumminating,

Ibn Jurayj reported that 'Abdullah bin Kathir commented on this Ayah: "[It means] the darkness of the night and the twilight of the day."
    [At Tabari 17:396]

Ibn Jurayj reported that Mujahid said: "the sun is the sign of the day and moon is the sign of the night.

We have obliterated the sign of the night

this refers to the moon's blackness, which is how Allah has created it."
    [At Tabari 17:396]

And We have appointed the night and the days as two Ayat (signs).

Ibn Abi Najih reported that Ibn 'Abbas said: "By night and day, this is how Allah created them, may He be glorified."
    [At Tabari 17:397]

http://www.quraan.com/Tafsir/TheNightAndDay.asp

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Just a thought...

Quran says soo many things as "We have done this, we have done that..."

Ibrahim (the resident mullah) always quotes from "Hindu scriptures" with explanations as "We told you to burn women, we told you kill dalits etc.."

FYI, Hindu scriptures never say, "We" anywhere. Gita presents its scriptures with "I" as Krishna speaks it. So, Ibrahim may wish to change his translations to those fantastic scriptures he wrote.

Having said that, I have got a question..Why does Allah use the word "We"? Did he do it with somebody else? Or am I missing sumthing?

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:

Having said that, I have got a question..Why does Allah use the word "We"? Did he do it with somebody else? Or am I missing sumthing?
      From Islamicity.com
      Question#:
      Question Date:
      1998-04-25
      Topic :
      Allah: The use of 'I' & 'We' to mean God
      Question:
      Sir, as a begining reader I do not clearly understand the reference to "We" in the verses of my Quran. Please clearify. Thank You. PIRTEA
      Answer:
      2987 Dear P. Greetings from Islamicity's Imam. In the Arabic language (and in some other languages too), the use of "We" instead of the singular form "I", and the use of You (plural) instead of You (singular) such as in French Vous/Tu, or in Spanish: Usted/Tu is common because it is an expression of respect, majesty, greatness, etc. Sometimes it is used for God only to show His Greatness and Majesty, and sometimes linguistically, it refers to people whom you are addressing with respect. It is simply the way the languages are structured. This has nothing to do with anything in terms of God being more than One (God forbid) or that anything should be associated with God. Hope this clears up the matter for you. If you need more information, please write us back. Thank you for asking and God knows best.

------------------
      AND WHEN IT IS SAID TO THEM: "DO NOT MAKE MISCHIEF ON THE EARTH", THEY SAY "WE ARE ONLY PEACE-MAKERS" VERILY, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO MAKES MISCHIEF, BUT THEY PERCEIVE NOT"-[Qur'an-2:11-12]

Comment

Ibrahim says; greetings of peace to one and all

Kumarakn! I would have let it go ( but since you have decided to worship me without my consent in my absence , which amounts to slander ), I have to teach you some lessons not to slander.

Now since you claimed I have said “"We told you to burn women, we told you kill dalits” Produce the links for these threads/remarks as mentioned by me in this forum or accept the fact that you are only capable of making a fool of yourself and proving yourself a liar.

Comment

Kumar

Only a Hindu or Non Arab speaking person can ask this question!

Have you ever sat back and thought, why on earth hasn't the Arab speaking Jews or Christians ever asked this question?

Answer:

The Arabic language has 2 types of nouns. One for NUMBERS and one for RESPECT!!!!!

Duh!!!!

See YA.

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:

Or am I missing sumthing?
            My friend you are really missing something, the Divine Light!
            Would'nt it be better to ask a question rather than ridicule a Religion?
            I respect your religion because my Prophet (PBUH) told me to do so,so I would request that you kindly ask anything in an appropriate manner rather than in a condescending way!

Comment

Originally posted by Rbee:
              Would'nt it be better to ask a question rather than ridicule a Religion? I respect your religion because my Prophet (PBUH) told me to do so,so I would request that you kindly ask anything in an appropriate manner rather than in a condescending way!
              wow kia zaberdast jawaab hai.

Comment

I think Arabic is like Sanskrit, Hindi and Tamil, where unlike english "You all" is a more respectfull way to talk to elders and other important people that "you". That is ingeneral, plural expression and other small differences in language give a sense of respect, while in english there isn't any such thing.

Thanks for all those who made some constructive contibution to the question.

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited May 04, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                X