Two Easters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Easters

Can somebody please explain to me why there are two Easters celebrated?

Originally posted by Muzna:
    Can somebody please explain to me why there are two Easters celebrated?

Two Easters? Please give dates.

Comment

Muzna, the orthodox Easter (Coptic, Greek, and Eastern) celebrate their Easter by following a different dateline than the Roman Catholics. Greek Easter (or Orthodox Easter) is this Sunday. It is a very big Holiday in Greece. In fact, it is bigger than the Christmas holiday in that part of the world. It is the Sunday following the Palm Sunday. Orthodox have a different date of when Jesus was resurrected than the Catholics. That’s why two different Easters. It is also a one hell of an eating feast. I will get to enjoy lamb, Tsoureki (Bread), we will break each other’s gholos (asses) by cracking eggs, and whosoever egg survives receives the good luck for coming year. It is a lot of fun.

Kristo S’anasees (Christ has risen).

Hoopa, hoopa.

Comment

There are also two christmas! I think the Greek Orthodox or the The Eastern Church celebrates christmas on Jan. 7. As I have been told, when the Church of Rome split from the Eastern Church there was a new calendar (after some time) which the Eastern Church never adopted. Hence all religious days come at different times for the two churches. This is what someone told me some time ago. I have never looked it up.

Comment

^^ Yup it's all true!

------------------
          • I was born with a defective eye ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X