Buddhism Vs Hinduism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddhism Vs Hinduism

In the thread about "what other religion do you like", Andhra said that the sect he belongs to kicked the Buddhist religion/sect out of Bharat/Hindustan.

why was that? whatever had happened to ever "peace loving" monks?
    http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum13/HTML/004959.html

------------------
    May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Like Islam, buddism ruled India for a small period of time. Powerful rulers inspired common men to follow Buddhist philosophy.

Buddhism also gave the common man an escape from caste dominated Hindu history.

But Shankaracharya and many other hindu religious saints travelled all along India and mass-converted most of them back to Hinduism, through "Pure Philisophical Discussions and arguments".

Luckily Hinduism did not believe converts as Kafirs and seek to kill them.

I think Andhra refers to that! If I am wrong, others may correct me!

Comment

Kumarkan you are right.
      I belong to the sect of 'Smartha' Brahmins(Spread all over South India. Iyers of Tamil Nadu share that tradition with us), who accepted Shankarachrya as Guru.

I was just being flippant when I say 'kciked' out Buddhism.

Buddhisnm was defeated in a series of debates.

It never struck roots after the Kings were reverted back into Hinduism.
      No State Patronage.
      Otherwise a large part of India would have been Buddhist.

Comment

In India different study sectors have different opinions.

Buddhism and Jainism were most probably two ideologies opponent to the Brahman culture. Jainism went the compromised way, whereas Buddhism did not.
        Buddhism was not a religion in the beginning. It was only a school of thought for equality and cultural revolution. Buddhist school became very important in the society by the time Ashoka came to power.

A Buddhist influence could not be swallowed by the Brahmin culture and most probably they were compelled to leave India, and the result we know.
        At first the Brahmins declared Buddha as the ninth Hindu God, but the Buddhist school rejected that phenomenon.

After Buddha next cultural revolution against Brahmins was started by Sikh Gurus. Via historical process Sikhi had to adopt militant means against the landlords of uppercast and as a result it entered a direct conflict with the central powers, Muslims at that period. Uppercast Hindus were smart enough to baptize Sikhi with that new anti Muslim role.

Comment

For the survival of the religion, it needs an establishment. Buddhism did not have any framework to keep things going. Also, the people really never left Hinduism, they were practising their old traditions, reading the Vedas and the Gita and at the same time assimilated Buddha in their lives.
          By Scholarly debates (known as Tarka) Adi Sankaracharya and his disciples were able to point out the loopholes in the Buddha philosophy.
          After the patronage of the kings was lost, Buddhism never could rise back to centre stage in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Victory:
            For the survival of the religion, it needs an establishment. Buddhism did not have any framework to keep things going. Also, the people really never left Hinduism, they were practising their old traditions, reading the Vedas and the Gita and at the same time assimilated Buddha in their lives.
            By Scholarly debates (known as Tarka) Adi Sankaracharya and his disciples were able to point out the loopholes in the Buddha philosophy.
            After the patronage of the kings was lost, Buddhism never could rise back to centre stage in India.
            I do not believe that buddhism is seperate religion , as far to my knowledge i think it is part of hinduism

Comment

Originally posted by Victory:
              Also, the people really never left Hinduism, they were practising their old traditions, reading the Vedas and the Gita and at the same time assimilated Buddha in their lives.
              Hindu culture (if it can be called so) is deep rooted among the people of South Asia.

There are Muslims in India who tie mangal sutra, Christians doing Abhishekam to mother mary etc etc etc.. People of South Asia may convert to other religions but the Hindu culture takes many many generations to cleanse off.

That makes us seem that the original implementation of the new thought, may be Islam or Christianity or Buddhism never actually taking root in the society. But, what is actually happening is a new breed of thought that is cross-cultural and multi-religious enhancing tolerance and acceptance.

Comment

Kumarakn Non-Hindus will be offended by that statement.

Not all of them accept their Hindu heritage.

some of them go the othe rway and think they are Arabs, english Men or something!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
                  But Shankaracharya and many other hindu religious saints travelled all along India and mass-converted most of them back to Hinduism, through "Pure Philisophical Discussions and arguments".
                  but Hindus have been making claims here that "all religions are fine in Hinduism, you can believe in what you want etc.", is this claim a new product/belief (which I don't beleive)? why did Hindu monks of those days did not leave them alone?

------------------
                  May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

>>"all religions are fine in Hinduism, you can believe in what you want etc.", <<

Yes ofcourse. One who believes that is a Hindu ofcourse!!!!

Being Civilized the Buddhists agreed to debate with Hindu Scholars, accepted their defeat and packed their bags!!!!

Comment

'Packed their bags'!!

I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X