Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am confused 'bout....

Kosher

Kosher means: To prepare in conformity with the requirements of the Jewish law, as meat.

meat of animals slaughtered according to the requirements of Jewish law

food that fulfills the requirements of Jewish dietary law

used to describe food that has been prepared so that it is fit and suitable under Jewish law
    ----
    do you guys see the trend in all those meanings... jewish, jewish, jewish, jewish, and jewish

Then how the heck does the stuff that says Kosher is hallal...

Halal: used to describe meat from animals that have been slaughtered in the ritual way prescribed by Islamic law, or relating to such meat

plz make ur answers precise and to the point, i dont want lot of jib jab
    no personnal opinions cause i dont give a dang bout those... something from the Quran or Hadith

thank u

Made lawful to you this day are AtTayyibt [all kinds of Hall (lawful) foods, which Allh has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, etc., milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits, etc.). The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals, etc.) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time, when you have given their due Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girl-friends. And whosoever disbelieves in the Oneness of Allh and in all the other Articles of Faith [i.e. His (Allh's), Angels, His Holy Books, His Messengers, the Day of Resurrection and AlQadar (Divine Preordainments)], then fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers. (Al-Ma'idah 5:5)

Allah(swt) knows best.

------------------
    'bismika illa huma a'muto wa'ah yaa'

Comment

thanks for ur reply
      so ur saying its ok to eat that food...???

Comment

Kosher practice was made into Jewish law only after the revelation of the Halaal practice to our Prophet, salalahu alayhi wasallam. Islaam does allow us to eat meat slaughtered by the Ahl al Kitab (Jews & Christians) only because Jews practice Kosher practice & the Christians of Middle East at that time follwed a certain procedure much like our Halaal practice therefore their meat could be expected to be "clean" thus allowable.

Not just the meat but there are so many hidden ingrediants that make "innocent" looking food like cheese pizza not halaal. I've done a bit of research and I've learned the best thing for me to do as a American Muslim is to abide by a vegan diet in everything except when I go buy halaal meat & make it myself. Halaal meat is specifically grown at Halaal farms which excludes animal protein feed from the animals' diet.

The meat sold in supermarkets has meat of animals given a animal protein rich feed. Most of the protein in this feed is derived from pigs. If you are more interested in this, do a search at NPR archives. They had this story a month or two ago.

Be careful about the yogurt, cheeses, and other dairy products that you buy b/c they use renin, an enzyme derived from cow & pig stomach. But I did find out that Dannon yogurt is halaal.

God only knows but we try to do the best we can.

Comment

but still how is Kosher halall...

Comment

i know the jews salaughter the animal like we muslims do, but they read bis-millah or anything...
            they just salughter them ... so how does that make it halal

[This message has been edited by tipz (edited April 30, 2002).]

Comment

Tipz-

This will make the understanding process much easier for u, if you first define Halaal then tell us how Halaal relates to Meat, u will run into a term, South Asians spell as Zabihah.

If you don't know, just find out from reliable Islaamic books.

After you define Halaal and the Islaamic process, I will try to do my best to explain the slaughtering method of Kosher products and Kosher food guidelines.

Comment

As a Biologist I have something to say about Renin. In most dairy processes, the Renin is derived from the stomach lining of cows. Pig "renin" degrades very easily and is of little or no use except when being used to process Lard or pig fat. Adding pig "renin" to cow milk would have disastorous results. For the same reason Goat milk cheese is sultured using goat enzymes. For the most part yoghurt and cheeses are now made artificially using cultured bacterial colonies, rather than parts of the gut that housed diverse bacterial flora. In case of "organic" dairy products, they for the most part list where the ingredients came from. As for the Jewish people, thier cheese I believe is made in a special way since combining dairy with any animal tissue (Meat) is considered forbidden (Jews can't eat Cheeseburgers for example). Hope this helps, and Allah knows best.

Comment

Working...
                X