X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surah al-Ma'arij (The Ways of Ascension) Chapter 70: Verses 19-25

Source:YMFN

"Indeed, man was created impatient.
    Irritable when evil touches him, and stingy when good reaches him.
    Except those devoted to prayer (salah), those who remain ever constant in their prayer. And those in whose wealth there is a known right for the beggar who asks (sa'il) and for the unlucky who is in need (mahroom)."

Commentary

Human Nature

It is human nature, or his natural weakness, to be in a state of impatience and hasty unease. Here, one should keep in view that at many places in the Quran, after mentioning humanity's common moral weaknesses, the true believers and the righteous have been made the exception. The same theme is being expressed in these verses.

This explains the fact that these 'hereditary weaknesses' are within our power to change. If individuals accept the role of God's guidance in their lives, ponder over their purpose of creation, and strive to reform themselves practically and sincerely, they can remove such immoral qualities.

On the other hand, if a person believes he or she is living on this earth "just to make the most [fun] out of it" and to "achieve all happiness and experience all pleasures" since "life is short", then traits such as selfishness, egotism, indecency, sexual perversions, material obsessions, and arrogance become ingrained in one's personality.

It is only throught patience (sabr) and steadfastness (istiqamah) in face of temptation and strife that believers and righteous custodians of this earth are able to look beyond their personal desires and interests and bring inner peace, social justice, mutual love and harmony.

Who are these Steadfast, Disciplined, and Selfless People?

The following are the two traits of those who do not panic and become ungrateful to Allah when hardship strikes them or become stingy when they have "enough in life":

1- That no laziness, no love of ease and comfort, no occupation or interest hinders them from being punctual and regular in Salah. When the time of daily prayers comes, they leave their work or activity and stand up to worship with peace of mind and comfort, thereby reconnecting themselves with their Lord - the Source of all peace, contentment, and help!

Those who wish to lead productive, disciplined and meaningful lives know the practical benefits and wisdom in the divine institution of Salah. They see its positive effects in their own lives: the punctuality it instills, the discipline it requires, the physical and spiritual purity it develops, and the refuge and protection it provides from the haram activities and inclinations in and around us. Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali (rahimahullah) used to say, "If you wish to fight laziness and procrastination, then begin by praying the five daily Salah on time."

2- In addition to their attachment and yearning for Prayer, these people are cognisant of the due right of others in their wealth and earnings. They provide for those in need whether they are asked or not. The word Sai'l in the verse refers not only to a beggar on the street, but any needy person who asks for help. And Mahroom, literally the one deprived, implies a person who is unemployeed, or the one who tries to earn a living but can not earn enough to supprt his or his family's needs due to various circumstances.

In fact, as soon as it becomes known to a God-fearing Muslim that a person is in need - whether personal or material, regardless of faith, race, or culture - he does not wait for the needy person to ask or beg, but willing reaches out and offers his or her help. This is the way of our great Prophet Muhammad (sall Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and the generations after him.

[compiled from "Tafheem al-Qur'an" (Towards Understanding the Quran)
    by Sayyid Abul A'la Mawdudi (Islamic Publications Ltd, Lahore, 1987)]

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Jazak'Allah khairun sis

Comment

JazakAllah..

thanks for sharing..

------------------
      .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.
      Allah-o-Akbar

,_ ,
      (O,O)
      ()
      -"--"--- To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target

Comment

Working...
      X