Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we participate in the Religion Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we participate in the Religion Forum?

Yesterday I was having a bit of discussion with a member on how we conduct ourselves in the Religion Forum, and the reason why I stopped coming here as much as I used to. And then I remembered that at one time I had posted a similar thing in this forum (it was Oct 25, 2000). So, here it is again. I hope it is relevant and useful for members, even today. The purpose is not to criticize anyone, but just to allow us to step back and take a look and see who are we and where are we going. This was written at a time, when this forum was full of shia-sunni fightings.

=== Original article ===

People can here for different reasons. Lets see what sort of person we are. Are we

A. Preaching,
    B. Fighting,
    C. Learning, or
    D. Discussing

All of these have different etiquettes and characteristics.

A.. A preacher must be soft spoken, and convince the audience by his actions as much as by his words, his information and his logic. He's is not there to be convinced himself. He is authoritative in information and knows when to give up and move on to another audience (and another topic). He is not there to fight. He will never hurt his audience by his words or actions. He listens as much as he talks. He first seeks to understand than be understood. He is there as a messanger, who delivers his message and pray for help from the Almighty in convincing the other person. They always remember that providing the information alone will not convince the other person, rather the will of the Almighty must be there to guide the deviated person. For them, Iqbal wrote "Nigah-e-mard-e-momin say badal ja'tee hain taqdeerain".

B. A fighter comes in with rolled up sleeves (figuratively speaking); with information as his shield and words as his sword. Their misson is to slay the opponent and cry "Victory". Else they run away (saying "You are deviated. No one can cure you"). They treat every topic as jehad. They think that every other participant is deficient in knowledge and hence, take it as their God-given responsibility to rectify the "wrong" beliefs. Some of them feel totally defensive about their own beliefs and have "aggression is the best defence" as their motto.

C. Those who are here to learn, look at a topic, do their research and 'paste' the opinion of a scholar whom they feel they can trust. They are the ones who ask questions and try to satisfy themselves as to what is the correct approach. They feel they are learning all the time. Mostly are one-liner types, who use and a lot.

D. The last category is the ones who feel they are mature enough to remain loyal to their own beliefs and at the same time try to get better insight into the beliefs of other people. They are not here to do holy war, rather they are here to present their own beliefs and get into the minds of the others to understand how the other is thinking. They feel they can distinguish between truth and a lie. Keep a level head, not be ruffled by attacks and may try to deflect criticism with wit and humour. They also think they know when to keep quiet.

None of these categories work in isolation. Each of us probably has a little of everything. But the trait that dominates most makes us either a preacher or a fighter; a student or a mature person. Many ppl change their traits, but once a person is labled a 'fighter; then it is quite difficult for him to become a 'preacher'.

What is maturity? It is not that you have attained a certain age or have complete information about your beliefs and feel confident about your abilities. To me, maturity means the tact to talk to people in a way that you gain insight in how they think and then to present your opinion in a way that convinces rather than incites.

Remember, each of us feel passionate about things close to our hearts, religion is one of them. We always feel we are right in our beliefs and those who disagree are deviated/ignorant/kaffir/non-believers. This is a dangerous attitude as it makes us close our mind. Again, first seek to understand and then be understood.

Then again we should remember that there are somethings which are suitable to certain surroundings.

For example if a shia lamblasts a sahabi in a majlis, he will be revered and appreciated and there will be those who will cry "Ya Ali Madad" and "Nara-e-Takbeer" in devotion and appreciation. However, the same utterations in a neutral surrounding will cause other participants to say "Lets kick him out of here!". Similarly when a sunni presents his research on the deviations of shia madhab to his group of friends, they might praise him for his effort and knowledge. In a neutral surrounding, he may get a "warning for inciting trouble".

Now tell me, out of the above 4 broad categories, which one fits you the most?

PS. The above categories are to emphasize the purpose of this forum. Those who have the intelligence will understand without being told.

Now I understand why people here tell me that I am too blind/crooked/with a closed heart to understand or appreciate Islam, particularly when they cannot answer my question!

BTW: Nice summary! But you left one more group. A <b>Classifier</b> who tries to classify people who come to the religious forum!

Comment

way to go Pristine good job
      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

You forgot the Gatekeepers. If any one says anything remotely against their notion of Islam then they staft tut tutting and pitying the christians and hindus who are pretending to be muslims. How about the Nutcases? Or timewasters for that matter?

Comment

You also forgot those who come here for the sole reason of reveling the hypocrisies, fallacies and all around mental disabilities of the Muslim fanatic.

Comment

A. Preaching,
            B. Fighting,
            C. Learning, or
            D. Discussing

Its because there are all kinds of people out there. You can't expect everyone to be patient and convincing. Also, in the presence of some of the strange people here, I don't think that any reasonable person can stay patient for a long time.

Comment

Pristine- Does it really matter? I dont think we need to classify ourselves, obviously there's a majority of fighters and name-callers around. Some are wahabis, some anti-wahabis, some shias, some sunnis, some pakistanis, and some indians- The sole reason for coming to the board? Proving to the other that you're right or else.

Anyhow, one cannot truly judge their own selves, so I'll pass.

Comment

Well said, Pristine.

Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                  Pristine- Does it really matter? I dont think we need to classify ourselves, obviously there's a majority of fighters and name-callers around. Some are wahabis, some anti-wahabis, some shias, some sunnis, some pakistanis, and some indians- The sole reason for coming to the board? Proving to the other that you're right or else.

Anyhow, one cannot truly judge their own selves, so I'll pass.
                  acuurately put.

if u want to classify still there will be those
                  1)who want themselves to be heard
                  2)who just for the kicks like to refute evrything
                  3)pathological fault finders
                  4)neurotics
                  5)some simply want to hone their intellectual skills
                  6)some observe the circumstantial thinking

Comment

ummm..

where do i stand ???

------------------
                    Dont think "you can" know "you can"
                    .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

Comment

Well, some people obviously misunderstood the point of the post.

The idea is not to classify members or to label them. The point is to provide some common sense advise on how to carry out debates here.

Before you put across your point of view and convince the other person, or to rectify, what you think, is a misconception, you have to adopt certain characteristics. If you act like a fighter then don't expect the other person to even consider your position.

If you start an argument by insulting the other person, then whatever your own argument maybe, it is useless. The other person is already blown off and he won't be listening to you, but now it is a matter of who can insult the other more.

First seek to understand what the other person is saying, get his rationale. And then put forward your point of view. If you don't understand what the other person is saying, or where he is coming from, and just keep on posting what you think is right, then you should not assume that anyone else will be interested in your argument too. Both of you are wasting time. Its just as simple.

To make full use of this forum, and to carry out intelligent debates, which provide a learning opportunity for the members, understanding these points can greatly help in the quality of discussions.

Thats all.

Comment

How about the REAL reason:

I'm RIGHT and your'e WRONG!!

We all suffer from this syndrome!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kumarakn:
                          [B]Now I understand why people here tell me that I am too blind/crooked/with a closed heart to understand or appreciate Islam, particularly when they cannot answer my question!

All of your questions have been answerd several times... but none of the questions about hinduism have been answered. you all hindus don't know about your own religion because its not even a religion. I have notice whenever somebody ask a question about hinduism it freaks you all out.....you guys ask question insted of answering.. to mess up everything and divert the attention from real questions.

Comment

thanks Mr. Pristine

hmmmmmmmm i think i fit in this category

E. All of the above

what about you????????????????

Comment

Pristine, I come here to see jokers argue with each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X