Did Islam lose its war in India?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Islam lose its war in India?

I have this serious question! Islam originated in Arabia, and slowly spread in the eastern direction into Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia etc..

1000 years later, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bhutan haven't had the impact of Islam as much as the other surrounding countries did.

Islam did not get absorbed in the Hindu/Sikh/Indian or buddhist/sri lankan/bhutanese culture as much as it did in Afghanistan or Malaysia. This is inspite of having TOTAL political control over most of these territories for over 300 years.

Do you guys wanna give your hypothesis about why Islam couldn't win over the hearts of this Island of Hindu/Buddhist/sikh people?

Because many of the Muslim rulers of India not only tolerated the Hindus but went into power-sharing agreements with many Hindu rulers.

Islam won the hearts of enough non-Muslims by the menas of Sufi saints, but its mission was not the eradication of Hindusim.

Can't say the same about Hindus treatment of Buddhists.

Comment

First you need to take out Sikhs from the equation, or you will start a controversial issue of, was Hazrat Baba Guru Nanak a Muslim or not.

Secondly, Malaysia & Indonesia are prime examples of dominantly Buddhist/Hindu Mix but still they converted.

As far as India is concerned, most of the Moghal Kings were secular & they hindered the preaching of Islam & in return had the loyalty of the Hindu Brahmin priesthood. Mujadid Alif Sani is a prime example. Others were not so secular, like Aurangzeb but they were brutal & did more harm in the name of Islam.

A question: Is India religiously a stable community now? Do people not convert to Hinduism, Buddhism or Islam anymore? Where can I find some data on this?
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Ahmadjee, And Mir:

Then did Islamic rulers were communal and did not enter into any power sharing agreements with people in Malaysia or Indonesia?

What was that that was special in the Indian sub-continent?

Regarding if India a stable community as a religion, that last 54 years have seen a 1% increase in Muslims which is attributed to the exceptionally higher birthrates among muslims. (Source: Census of India). I don't have any details on conversion and how they have affected the population. Others may have them.

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited April 15, 2002).]

Comment

There were no Muslim conquerors in Malaysia or Indonesia. Islam spread there like anywhere else, from the pious Sufis & the saints who dedicated their lives for preaching.

Secondly, I was more into looking for data on How much the Christian/Buddhist population has increased in India in the past 50 years.
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

ahmadjee:
            Silly me trying to jump into conclusions, please enlighten me:

Are you telling me Malaysia, Indonesia saw a growth in Islam unlike India because Islam was spread there through non-violence?

Could it be that repeated invasions/wars against people of India made Islam less-appealing to Indians? or if I am incorrect, What exactly went wrong for Islam in India?

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited April 15, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
              Could it be that repeated invasions/wars against people of India made Islam less-appealing to Indians?
              That might be one of the reasons.

The other was as mentioned earlier that Sufi saints were persecuted by the emperors to gain loyalty of Hindu priesthood.

Please feel free to go to a Malaysian/Indonesian site & read the history of how Islam spread there.
              - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Muslims are fond of living in a dilemma world. The truth is that Islam could influence only uncivilized areas, like central Asia after Arab countries. Wherever people had some sense of progress or were civilized to some extent Islam met no success. And in better advanced countries like Spain it was totally out rooted.
                Off course they can be proud of their birth rating.

Comment

Anand, first and foremost, I think all here will agree that you're in the WROOONG forum!!! Clearly you're Hindu due to your name and beliefs and no matter what you say or how much resistence you put up, the FACT is that Islam is spreading exponentially unlike Hinduism--an ancient, outmoded, backward religion that worships a 1000 dieties, has the humiliating and time-old caste system, and humiliates women to no end. Do you want examples, I can refer you to sites! Therefore, you saying anything negative about Islam is a damned joke! Go worship your idols somewhere and drink cow urine as your religion believes!

Comment

moona,

Stabbing at other's religion won't win you hearts, only more hatred. So be gentle on your tongue & on others too.
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Islam did won the heart of people of this region thats why today it is divided in three countries , two of which are muslim Pakistan and Bangladaish.... and the one with hindu majority has 15% muslim population.
                      and sikihism is a mixture of Islam and Hinduism, it was made to unite these two groups but it became a third one( soit is also an impact of Islam)

comaprison with Afghanistan and Iran......they are in closer and more contace with Arab world.

Comment

Originally posted by anand:
                        Muslims are fond of living in a dilemma world. The truth is that Islam could influence only uncivilized areas, like central Asia after Arab countries. Wherever people had some sense of progress or were civilized to some extent Islam met no success. And in better advanced countries like Spain it was totally out rooted.
                        Off course they can be proud of their birth rating.
                        how dumb your commenets are?????

is that why 30% muslims in average american masjids are convertors???????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????
                        how many Hindus? I have never met any ... even born hindus don't follow and know their religion.

Comment

Mr. Anand:
                          see what these intellectuals have to say about ISLAM.............
                          have never heard any of them talking about hinuism

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in America, a guide and pillar of stability for many of our people..."
                          Hillary Rodman Clinton, LOS ANGELES TIMES, May 31, 1996, p.3

"Islam continues to grow in America, and no one can doubt that!" CNN, December 15, 1995

"Five to six million strong, Muslims in America already outnumber Presbyterians, Episcopalians, and Mormons, and they are more numerous than Quakers, Unitarians, Seventh-day Adventists, Mennonites, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Christian Scientists, combined. Many demographers say Islam has overtaken Judaism as the
                          country's second-most commonly practiced religion; others say it is in the passing lane." Johan Blank, USNEWS (7/20/98)

"In fact, religion experts say Islam is the second-largest religion in the United States... Islam has 5 million to 6 million members, followed by
                          Judaism, with approximately 4.5 million..... And Islam is believed to be fastest-growing religion in the country, with half its expansion coming from new immigrants and the other half from conversions."
                          Elsa C. Arnett, KNIGHT-RIDDER News Service

"But Islam has a still further service to render to the cause of humanity. It stands after all nearer to the real East than Europe does, and it possesses a magnificent tradition of inter-racial understanding
                          and cooperation. No other society has such a record of success uniting in an equality of status, of opportunity, and of endeavours so many and so various races of mankind . . . Islam has still the power to reconcile apparently irreconcilable elements of race and tradition. If ever the opposition of the great societies of East and West is to be replaced by
                          cooperation, the mediation of Islam is an indispensable condition. In its hands lies very largely the solution of the problem with which Europe
                          is faced in its relation with East. If they unite, the hope of a peaceful issue is immeasurably enhanced. But if Europe, by rejecting the cooperation of Islam, throws it into the arms of its rivals, the issue can only be disastrous for both."
                          H. A. R. Gibb, WHITHER ISLAM, London, 1932, p. 379.

"It (Islam) replaced monkishness by manliness. It gives hope to the slave, brotherhood to mankind, and recognition of the fundamental facts of human nature."
                          Canon Taylor, Paper read before the Church Congress at Walverhamton, Oct. 7, 1887; Quoted by Arnoud in THE PREACHING OF ISLAM, pp. 71-72.

Moslems are the world's fastest-growing group..."
                          USA TODAY, The population referance bureau, Feb. 17, 1989, p.4A

"Already more than a billion-people strong, Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion." ABCNEWS, Abcnews.com

"The religion of Islam is growing faster than any other religion in the world." Mike Wallace, 60 MINUTES

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the United States..."
                          NEW YORK TIMES, Feb 21, 1989, p.1

"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the country."
                          NEWSDAY, March 7, 1989, p.4

"There are more Muslims in North America then Jews Now."
                          Dan Rathers, ABCNEWS

"Islam is the fastest growing religion in North America."
                          TIMES MAGAZINE

[This message has been edited by secret_obsession (edited April 16, 2002).]

Comment

"In fact, religion experts say Islam is the second-largest religion in the United States... Islam has 5 million to 6 million members, followed by
                            Judaism, with approximately 4.5 million..... And Islam is believed to be fastest-growing religion in the country, with half its expansion coming from new immigrants and the other half from conversions."
                            Elsa C. Arnett, KNIGHT-RIDDER News Service

see half coming from conversion, and America is the most civilived society and it's people has most college degrees.
                            and since i live here i have used its example.
                            So MR> Anand you better take your words back instead of being stubborn. Be honest

Comment

Interesting point. Regardless of how it spread, why did islam not become the dominant religion in India and China or much of east asia? The answer could be more cultural than anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X