Yoghurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoghurt

So I'm doing my grocery shopping at the mall and had a craving for those fruit yoghurts. I decide to pick up Sillouhette Fruit pack and read the ingredients and whadda ya know it has pectin in it and so did Astro and other brands.

I'm crying for help to ask all of you which fruit yoghurt is safe halaal/kosher to eat!?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Originally posted by Faraz Mir:
    They all are halal, don't worry about it.
    u wanna explain ur response and the ingredients how it makes them halaal.

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial Guppy:
      Coco, what is pectin?
      Some ingredient I doubt cuz its related to gelatin.

------------------

Comment

Coco, DO YOU consider "CITRUS PEELS" halal or haram? Off course Halal. But as far as I know, the production of pectin involves isopropanol... which is type of alcohol. (alcohol is haram, but don't we use perfumes and colognes with a lot of alcohol in them?)

I just wanted to know if you KNEW what it really was... thats why I asked.

[This message has been edited by Serial Guppy (edited April 20, 2002).]

Comment

if its just iso-propanol that holds u back from considering it HALAL then plz note that *alcohols* are a family of organic chemicals that include many different compounds....

as far as i know its only ethanol (ethyl alcohol or ETOH) that is used in wine and shud be avoided....

P.S. i have never read of any alcohol other than ethanol that shud be considered as a muskar but u better check with someone else....

------------------
          "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
          Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Alcohol was banned for another reason

badly made alcohol - the kind you buy from the corner shop in pakistan - has methanol in it as well

Methanol i dangerous for living creatures.

It makes you blind, effects the liver and pancreas. and has negative effect on the brain.

Alcohol was banned for
            1. it impairs the brain's judgement centre 2. bad for your liver in large quantities
            3. it is addictive - so problem number 2 becomes a problem

from what I remember from biology, human bodies produce some alcohol (from the family alcohol) themselves.. so it can't be totally bad for you.

Comment

How is isopropanol haraam? It has a different effect on the human body than ethanol (the chemical found in wine/beer/etc).

Ethanol = CH3-CH2(OH)

Ispropanol = CH3-CH(OH)-CH3

The fact that the hydroxyl group is sterically hindered by the outlying methyl groups gives isopropanol very different chemical properties than possessed by ethanol.

If you drink isopropanol, you will die a long time before you get intoxicated from it!!!
              Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
              Al-Ghazali

Comment

ok so as i was asking, i'm not sure myself is it ok to eat yoghurt with pectin or renit in it? don't gimme all this scientific stuff just explain in common folk lingo whats the ingredient and where it comes from. God, whats a guy to do when going out for groceries!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                  i dont understand pakistanis you are
                  so obcessed with alcohol but pakistan has highest rate of drug addicts.
                  Do u have any prof..
                  even if pakistaniz are.. there are non muslim pakis too.. and pakistan don have Islamic system.. it has american kufr democracy. so non Islamic thngs always happen there and no wonder why they are sufferin economicaly and culturaly..
                  as far as i know inhalin alcahol wich messes up ur mind is harram.. using it is fine i think.

------------------
                  "Only for Allah and to gain His pleasure"
                  "You are either slave to what made man or u are slave to what man made"

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior of Allah:

as far as i know inhalin alcahol wich messes up ur mind is harram.. using it is fine i think.

What do u mean using it is fine?

Comment

http://www.sbu.ac.uk/water/hypec.html

its about your PECTIN business!

Comment

THANK YOU SCIENCEWALI!

------------------

Comment

Pectin is found in copious quantities in apples. Its an acid that you can witness when apples rot. The thing to look for in a haram item is Lecithin grade 38B or ask your pharma guy abt it. Its origin is usually from Swine Fat. (its used as a preservative for Lactose)

Otherwise make your own yogurt @ home. Its real easy

------------------
                          And my heart throbbed with an exquisite bliss
                          Prepare for eternity but live like there's death around the corner......

Comment

what bout geletin?

Comment

Working...
                            X