• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diff between sunni and shia mosques

hi all guppies
    iam new to this forum
    can anyone explain about sunni and shia mosques what is the difference
    i found some one saying in this forum that there is no shia mosque in tehran
    please give details
    Regards&salodos

Originally posted by lnbarc:
    [Bthat there is no shia mosque in tehran
    please give details
    [/B]
    There is no Sunni mosque in Tehran.

Over 90% of those who call themselves Muslims are Sunnis. The are the mainstream Muslims. They are also knows as Ahl-us-Sunnah Wal Jamaah.

Sunnis (i.e the Mainstream Muslims) pray the way Prophet Muhammad (S) prayed.

Shias pray differently, at different times.

Sunnis respect the Companions (Sahaabah) (R) of the Holy Prophet (S), and also they respect Hadhrat 'Aisha (R) , who was the wife of the Holy Prophet (S), and the Mother of all believers (according to the Qur'an).

Shias, hate the Sahaabah (except a few, who are less than 10 in number), they curse the Sahaabah, some of them even accuse Hadhrat 'Umar (R) of Homosexuality !!!! (na-'oodhubillah). And they call Hadhrat 'Aisha (R) a Kaafir (na'oodhubillah) !!!

They reject the authentic Hadeeth collections, like Muslim and Bukhari, because they hate the Sahaabah, and they do not want to follow the Hadeeth that have been narrated from them.

There are many more differences, too many to list.

Comment

Originally posted by lnbarc:
      hi all guppies
      iam new to this forum
      can anyone explain about sunni and shia mosques what is the difference
      i found some one saying in this forum that there is no shia mosque in tehran
      please give details
      Regards&salodos
      because of the same reason that they don't call food in China, Chinese Food !

------------------
      I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Khoon-e-Shaheed:

Over 90% of those who call themselves Muslims are Sunnis. The are the mainstream Muslims. They are also knows as Ahl-us-Sunnah Wal Jamaah.

Sunnis respect the Companions (Sahaabah) (R) of the Holy Prophet (S), and also they respect Hadhrat 'Aisha (R) , who was the wife of the Holy Prophet (S), and the Mother of all believers (according to the Qur'an).

Shias, hate the Sahaabah (except a few, who are less than 10 in number), they curse the Sahaabah, some of them even accuse Hadhrat 'Umar (R) of Homosexuality !!!! (na-'oodhubillah). And they call Hadhrat 'Aisha (R) a Kaafir (na'oodhubillah) !!!

They reject the authentic Hadeeth collections, like Muslim and Bukhari, because they hate the Sahaabah, and they do not want to follow the Hadeeth that have been narrated from them.

SO what is the difference between sunni and shia "MOSQUES" ?????????

Comment

Originally posted by hello hello:
          SO what is the difference between sunni and shia "MOSQUES" ?????????
          Different way of praying.

Different phrases used in prayer.

Different timings.

Shias pray 3 times a day. (5 prayers, 3 times a day). Sunnis (Mainstream Muslims) pray 5 times a day.

Also, Shias curse the Sahaabah (R) after the prayers.

The "turbat" or whatever it is called, the rock or stone , that the Shias use for prostration - Mainstream Muslims do not use that.

These are the major differences.

Comment

I will present an un-biased view on this topic.

Shia mosques are no different than sunni mosques. Shias, like sunnis, pray 5 times a day at distinct times. However, shias allow combination of prayer (zohr & asr, magrib & isha) as hadiths are present showing that the holy prophet (pbuh) allowed this even though he was not in a state of travel or fear.

Based on hadiths showing that the prophet (pbuh) said that the earth was made for prostration, shias use a shajdagah (a block of mud/stone) which they place on the prayer mat. When then go into shajdah, they place their forehead on this stone so that they meet the holy prophet's (pbuh) sayings. If they pray on an open ground, they do not have to use this shajdagah.

Also, I have never heard of shias swearing at the sahabahs in their mosques. After their prayer (farz + sunnat/nafil), they say duas and send blessings on the prophet (pbuh) and his family.

Shias regard the holy prophet's (pbuh) family as superior to all the sahabahs, both in virtue and knowledge. This status of the ahl-bait was recognized by the sahabahs as well.

The above is true from my own knowledge and experience with shia brothers.

------------------
            A Wizard arrives neither early nor late, but precisely when he chooses to

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf:
              I will present an un-biased view on this topic.

Shia mosques are no different than sunni mosques. Shias, like sunnis, pray 5 times a day at distinct times. However, shias allow combination of prayer (zohr & asr, magrib & isha) as hadiths are present showing that the holy prophet (pbuh) allowed this even though he was not in a state of travel or fear.

Based on hadiths showing that the prophet (pbuh) said that the earth was made for prostration, shias use a shajdagah (a block of mud/stone) which they place on the prayer mat. When then go into shajdah, they place their forehead on this stone so that they meet the holy prophet's (pbuh) sayings. If they pray on an open ground, they do not have to use this shajdagah.

Also, I have never heard of shias swearing at the sahabahs in their mosques. After their prayer (farz + sunnat/nafil), they say duas and send blessings on the prophet (pbuh) and his family.

Shias regard the holy prophet's (pbuh) family as superior to all the sahabahs, both in virtue and knowledge. This status of the ahl-bait was recognized by the sahabahs as well.

The above is true from my own knowledge and experience with shia brothers.

...AND those "hadiths" are? Please post them so people with hadith books can review and look up. (references are prefered in this format: Book #, volume #, Page # )

------------------
              AND WHEN IT IS SAID TO THEM: "DO NOT MAKE MISCHIEF ON THE EARTH", THEY SAY "WE ARE ONLY PEACE-MAKERS" VERILY, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO MAKES MISCHIEF, BUT THEY PERCEIVE NOT"-[Qur'an-2:11-12]

Comment

Maybe, you two - Khoon & Serial need an enema!

The Shias and everyone in their right mind are better off being DIFFERENT than you and whatever creed it is that you represent. Are we Clear - here, boys?

per Khoon:

The first part is - According to who?

If sunnis prayed like the prophet then there wouldn't be about 200+- differences in the way the four sects offer their namaz.

There are differing opinions as to the way the prophet prayed and how many times.

Shias, hate the Sahaabah (except a few, who are less than 10 in number), they curse the Sahaabah,
                At least they did not make "CURSING Ali" into a sunnah!

They reject the authentic Hadeeth collections, like Muslim and Bukhari, because they hate the Sahaabah
                Anyone in their right mind should REJECT these adulterated hadeeths.
                Do you buy adulterated food?
                No!
                Why do you insist on following adulterated hadeeths?

There are many more differences, too many to list
                Differences are good. Ask God - why He made us different?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial Guppy:

...AND those "hadiths" are? Please post them so people with hadith books can review and look up. (references are prefered in this format: Book #, volume #, Page # )

Serial;

As for combination of prayers, please refer to the following hadiths in sahih muslim:
                  http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...m/004.smt.html

Chapter 100: COMBINATION OF PRAYERS, WHEN ONE IS RESIDENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Book 004, Number 1515:
                  Ibn 'Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed the noon and afternoon prayers together, and the sunset and Isha' prayers together without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Book 004, Number 1516:
                  Ibn 'Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed the noon and afternoon prayers together in Medina without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey. (Abu Zubair said: I asked Sa'id [one of the narrators] why he did that. He said: I asked Ibn 'Abbas as you have asked me, and he replied that he [the Holy Prophet] wanted that no one among his Ummah should be put to [unnecessary] hardship.)

Book 004, Number 1523:
                  'Abdullah b. Shaqiq reported: Ibn 'Abbas one day addressed us in the afternoon (after the afternoon prayer) till the sun disappeared and the stars appeared, and the people began to say: Prayer, prayer. A person from Banu Tamim came there. He neither slackened nor turned away, but (continued crying): Prayer, prayer. Ibn 'Abbas said: May you be deprived of your mother, do you teach me Sunnah? And then he said: I saw the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) combining the noon and afternoon prayers and the sunset and 'Isha' prayers. 'Abdullah b. Shaqiq said: Some doubt was created in my mind about it. So I came to Abu Huraira and asked him (about it) and he testified his assertion.

There are many more such hadiths that the shias use to assert that prayers can be prayed in combination even though you are not in a state of travel.

Sahih Bukhari Hadiths to show that the prophet (pbuh) prostrated on earth/mud:
                  http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...i/032.sbt.html

Volume 3, Book 32, Number 235:
                  Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Allah's Apostle used to practice Itikaf (in the mosque) in the middle third of Ramadan and after passing the twenty nights he used to go back to his house on the 21st, and the people who were in Itikaf with him also used to go back to their houses. Once in Ramadan, in which he practiced Itikaf, he established the night prayers at the night in which he used to return home, and then he addressed the people and ordered them whatever Allah wished him to order and said, "I used to practice Itikaf for these ten days (i.e. the middle 113rd but now I intend to stay in Itikaf for the last ten days (of the month); so whoever was in Itikaf with me should stay at his place of seclusion. I have verily been shown (the date of) this Night (of Qadr) but I have forgotten it. So search for it in the odd nights of the last ten days (of this month). I also saw myself (in the dream) prostrating in mud and water." On the night of the 21st, the sky was covered with clouds and it rained, and the rain-water started leaking through the roof of the mosque at the praying place of the Prophet . I saw with my own eyes the Prophet at the completion of the morning prayer leaving with his face covered with mud and water.

Please see point (2) below:-

Volume 1, Book 7, Number 331:
                  Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:

The Prophet said, "I have been given five things which were not given to any one else before me.

1. Allah made me victorious by awe, (by His frightening my enemies) for a distance of one month's journey.

2. The earth has been made for me (and for my followers) a place for praying and a thing to perform Tayammum, therefore anyone of my followers can pray wherever the time of a prayer is due.

3. The booty has been made Halal (lawful) for me yet it was not lawful for anyone else before me.

4. I have been given the right of intercession (on the Day of Resurrection).

5. Every Prophet used to be sent to his nation only but I have been sent to all mankind.

I hope this helps. Our shia brothers can maybe expand more on this topic. I don't know, however, how many shias visit this forum.

Salam

------------------
                  A Wizard arrives neither early nor late, but precisely when he chooses to

[This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited April 23, 2002).]

Comment

if you dont know anything about it then atleast dont talk about shiasm..
                    pata nahee kahan kahan say loug aja tay hein

Comment

How to a know a Wahabi from a real Sunni Muslim? Ask them about Shias and the truth will come out.

Comment

Main difference, Sunnis have mosques or masjids, Sheas have Imam Baras.

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Farooq:
                          Main difference, Sunnis have mosques or masjids, Sheas have Imam Baras.
                          Again, not true.

Shias have mosques just as we sunnis do, where they pray all fard and sunnat/nafil salats. They also have imambargahs where they hold majlises and shia sermons.

In some places, due to lack of funds or people, they have a mosque that serves both as an imambargah and a mosque (partitioned).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Brother are you sure Ahlus sunnah wal jamaa' is the aqeedah of sunni muslims?? Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't sunni muslims ahlus sunnah? and salafi muslims ahlus sunnah wal jamaa'?? If i'm wrong can you please include your sources.

Jazak'Allah Khairun

------------------
                            'bismika illa huma a'muto wa'ah yaa'

Comment

Different way of praying.

Different phrases used in prayer.

Different timings.

Shias pray 3 times a day. (5 prayers, 3 times a day). Sunnis (Mainstream Muslims) pray 5 times a day.

Also, Shias curse the Sahaabah (R) after the prayers.

The "turbat" or whatever it is called, the rock or stone , that the Shias use for prostration - Mainstream Muslims do not use that.

These are the major differences.
                              Can you please elaborate the differences between mosques, not the way how each of them pray. If you some mind still left!

Comment

Working...
                              X