Religious Connotations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious Connotations

Why do they say that all things must be done with the right hand?

Why do they say if you eat with your left the food goes to the devil's stomach?

What about the poor lefties? They can't help it?

Where did this come from?

Do you guys have any religious connotations?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

For those that follow hadith, this is what I found, although I cant find the reference number.

"The Hadith of the recommendation of doing things with the right hand is reported by Aisha(RA) that the Prophet (pbuh) 'liked to use the right side in all of his activities'."

From what I have read, it is NOT a sin to use the left hand, but rather its not recommended because Satan uses the left hand to do/start things.

Where this is written, I dont know. Maybe others can shed some light on this.

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Following Munni, I agree , its JUST recommended. There are certain practices in shariat that are Wajib (not doing would bring sin), but there are certain others that are only recommened (not doing won't be of any sin). To my knowledge, the recommendation in question comes into the second category.

Shaitan using left/right hand is a new information to me. What I know is, shariat RECOMMENDS using right hand doing some actions (like eating) and left hand doing some other actions (like taharat). And I can only see the point of cleanliness (keeping in mind the situation and resources available to arabs and to the world in general at that time; soaps, tissues, etc.) behind this recommendation.

Comment

it is SUNNAH to eat and do other thigns with the right hand....
        i have known many left handed people....
        infact my best friend in the university was left handed....
        but eating was with the right hand....

similarly starting things from the right side, wearing shoes/clothes from right side first r all sunnah....

so it really depends on how much the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) means to u....
        and i can easily debate with anyone who wishes to that other prophets did also use the right hand for most of the works (i hope it is understood)....

------------------
        "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Connotations have a great potential to become 'bada'ats' and so should be followed with open mind and should be taught as recommendations & not hard line faradh.

As far as left hand vs. right hand is concerned, I believe itís the 'specificity' that is argued, not necessarily the right hand. The concept being one should use one hand (right or left) to do clean things - eating, drinking water etc - and the other (right or left) to do others - like cleaning one's nose & other private body parts.

One of the reason why right vs. left is preferred is because right hand is usually used in most cultures (including that of Arabs) to shake hands as a gesture of peace. So, itís kinda neat to know that the person shaking my hand didn't blow their nose with the same one a little while ago.

Still itís not something rigid and should not be stressed, only suggested.
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

food goes to devil's stomach

I don't think it has been said in any hadees or ayat.. probably it is just a traditional thing people made up to scare kids.

Comment

How about this one. Every friday I go to the mosque, and our Imam saab, right before leading the prayers say "Please brothers and sisters, straighten your lines, stand shoulder to shoulder, do not leave any gaps, because if you leave any gap in between, the Devil will offer namaaz next to you!". Can someone shed some light on this, and please don't make any jokes about oh whats wrong with letting the devil read namaz!

------------------
              I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

Comment

Originally posted by DonJuan DeMarco:
                How about this one. Every friday I go to the mosque, and our Imam saab, right before leading the prayers say "Please brothers and sisters, straighten your lines, stand shoulder to shoulder, do not leave any gaps, because if you leave any gap in between, the Devil will offer namaaz next to you!". Can someone shed some light on this, and please don't make any jokes about oh whats wrong with letting the devil read namaz!

here are the original hadith:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Set the rows in order, stand shoulder to shoulder, close the gaps, be pliant in the hands of your brethren, and do not leave openings for the devil. If anyone joins up a row, Allah will join him up, but if anyone breaks a row, Allah will cut him off.
                (Sunan of Abu Dawood - Hadith 666)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Stand close together in your rows, bring them near one another, and stand neck to neck, for by Him in Whose hand my soul is, I see the devil coming in through openings in the row just like a small black sheep.
                (Sunan of Abu Dawood - Hadith 667)

This is explained in the following hadith:

Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) said: There is none amongst you with whom is not an attache from amongst the jinn (devil). They (the Companions) said: Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) with you too? Thereupon he said: Yes, but Allah helps me against him and so I am safe from his hand and he does not command me but for good.
                (Sahih Muslim - Hadith 6757)

------------------
                ".........because sad eyes never lie"

Comment

Edited: *don't like to flare up any controversy.

[This message has been edited by Verstehen (edited April 20, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by sadeyes_neverlie:
                    here are the original hadith:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Set the rows in order, stand shoulder to shoulder, close the gaps, be pliant in the hands of your brethren, and do not leave openings for the devil. If anyone joins up a row, Allah will join him up, but if anyone breaks a row, Allah will cut him off.
                    (Sunan of Abu Dawood - Hadith 666)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: Stand close together in your rows, bring them near one another, and stand neck to neck, for by Him in Whose hand my soul is, I see the devil coming in through openings in the row just like a small black sheep.
                    (Sunan of Abu Dawood - Hadith 667)

This is explained in the following hadith:

Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) said: There is none amongst you with whom is not an attache from amongst the jinn (devil). They (the Companions) said: Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) with you too? Thereupon he said: Yes, but Allah helps me against him and so I am safe from his hand and he does not command me but for good.
                    (Sahih Muslim - Hadith 6757)
                    Thanks sadeyes_neverlie, that was truely enlightenning. JazaakAllah

Comment

What about circumcision for males is it mandatory?

i know female circumcision isn't mandatory but what about males, if it is islamically mandatory provide literature.

------------------
                      Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoNut:
                        What about circumcision for males is it mandatory?

i know female circumcision isn't mandatory but what about males, if it is islamically mandatory provide literature.

Allah's Apostle said, "Five practices are characteristics of the Fitra: circumcision, shaving the pubic region, clipping the nails and cutting the moustaches short."
                        (Sahih Bokhari)

I heard the Prophet saying. "Five practices are characteristics of the Fitra: circumcision, shaving the pubic hair, cutting the moustaches short, clipping the nails, and depilating the hair of the armpits."
                        (Sahih Bokhari)

Yahya related to me from Malik from Said ibn Abi Said al-Maqburi from his father that Abu Hurayra said, "There are five things from the fitra: cutting the nails, trimming the moustache, removing the hair from the armpit, shaving the pubic region and circumcision."
                        (Muwatta Imam Malik)

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: There are four characteristics (which may be called) the Sunnahs (the practices) of the messengers of Allah: Modesty, but some say, circumcision, the use of perfume, miswak and marriage.
                        (Tirmizi)

A woman used to perform circumcision in Medina. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said to her: Do not cut severely as that is better for a woman and more desirable for a husband.
                        (Abu Dawood)

There are contrary views about it being obligatory or not. Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "Ibrahim circumcised himself after he was eighty years old." (Related by al-Bukhari.) Many scholars say that it is obligatory.'Ý The Shaf'iyyah maintain that it should be done on the seventh day. Ash-shaukani says, "There is nothing that states explicitly its time or indicates that it is obligatory."

Hygenically speaking, its a must as it prevents dirt from getting on one's penis, and also makes it easy to keep it clean.

------------------
                        ".........because sad eyes never lie"

Comment

PA, I am interested to know your thoughts on the circumcision as its not mentioned in Quran. Or is it?
                          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

No ahmadjee, it's not mentioned in the Qur'an.. it's a Jewish tradition.
                            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Is a female allowed to wear nail polish? If NO then explain with relevant literature

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X