72 sects of islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72 sects of islam

all my life i have hearsd that there are 72 sects in islam. now i find that people are claiming there to be 73, if this carries on then in 50 years we will have 150 sects which i do not think is helpful to us muslims or to the image of muslims. why are we so different to each other? why do people pray in different ways adding bits to the kalima. some read only farz, some dont do a dua, some dont find it neccessary to go to medina, what is all this? i am very confused.
    by the way at the moment i am doing a full search on the 72? sects of islam and am nearly there i have got detailed info on about 50 yet! a little way to go yet...

Some ahadeeths from Bukhari/Muslim regarding this issue:

Afflictions and the End of the World

Narrated Hudhaifa bin Al-Yaman

The people used to ask Allah's Apostle about the good but I used to ask him about the evil lest I should be overtaken by them. So I said, "O Allah's Apostle! We were living in ignorance and in an (extremely) worst atmosphere, then Allah brought to us this good (i.e., Islam); will there be any evil after this good?" He said, "Yes." I said, 'Willthere be any good after that evil?" He replied, "Yes, but it will be tainted (not pure.)'' I asked, "What will be its taint?" He replied, "(There will be) some people who will guide others not according to mytradition? You will approve of some of their deeds and disapprove of some others." I asked, "Will there be any evil after that good?" He replied, "Yes, (there will be) some people calling at the gates of the(Hell) Fire, and whoever will respond to their call, will be thrown bythem into the (Hell) Fire." I said, "O Allah s Apostle! Will you describe them to us?" He said, "They will be from our own people and will speak our language." I said, "What do you order me to do if such a state should take place in my life?" He said, "Stick to the group ofMuslims and their Imam (ruler)." I said, "If there is neither a group of Muslims nor an Imam (ruler)?" He said, "Then turn away from all those sects even if you were to bite (eat) the roots of a tree till death overtakes you while you are in that state."

"And this Ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of them in the Hellfire except one." The Sahabah asked, "And which one is that?" He said, "That which I and my Companions are upon today."

Follow the straight path:
    "And verily this (i.e. Allah’s commandments mentioned in the previous two verses 151 and 152) is my straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you from His path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al- Muttaqoon ( the pious-see V2:2) " Verse # 153, Surat

*Jews and Christians will split into 72, but Muslims into 73...
    Allah knows best!

------------------
    AND WHEN IT IS SAID TO THEM: "DO NOT MAKE MISCHIEF ON THE EARTH", THEY SAY "WE ARE ONLY PEACE-MAKERS" VERILY, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO MAKES MISCHIEF, BUT THEY PERCEIVE NOT"-[Qur'an-2:11-12]

Comment

Salam Saima,

allow me to reply your query by quoting a Hadith..
      • Abdullah bin Amarra relates that the Holy Prophet (SA) said [i]‘Surely things will happen to my people as happened earlier to Israelites, they will resemble each other like one shoe in a pair resembles the other to the extent that if anyone among the Israelites has openly committed adultery to his mother there will be some who will do this in my Ummah as well, verily the Israelites were divided into 72 sects but my people will be divided into 73 sects, all of them will be in the fire except one.' The companions asked. 'Who are they O Messenger of Allah,' Holy Prophet (pbuh) said. `They are those who will be like me and my companions.’ (Tirmidhi - Kitabul Eeman)
      In this Hadith there are quite a few things to be noted. Firstly, it mentions the resemblance of the Muslim Ummah with the Israelites (i.e. Jews). In another Hadith (Abu Daud - Vol.2, pg.241) this resemblance is mentioned in the words that as among the Jews a prophet was raised in every century, among Muslims a reformer/Mujaddid will be raised and as among the Jews at the end of the chain of prophets a Messiah was raised a Messiah will be raised among the Muslims.

So basically, it doesn’t make any difference if Muslims are divided into 73 factions or 730, the point is the division of Muslim Ummah is already prophecised 1400 years ago, Allah knew that Muslims will loose their teachings like the previous nations, no matter we have the 'Perfect Unalterable Book' but today its teachings are no more than a Close Treasure. So there will come a man of God who will reveal its hidden treasure.. and only His followers will be prosper. People who claim that their sect is true is infact living in a state of delusion, they all should fear Allah and seek His guidance rather chasing after their inherited beliefs.

I have discussed this topic in detail, [Read this for details on 73 sects...]

wasalam
      zameen tumhara kuch nahin bigar sakhtee, ger aasman say taluq pukhta ho....

Comment

Simply stating my understanding.

WRONG : There are 72-73 sects in ISLAM.

RIGHT : There will be 72-73 right BEFORE the
        day of judgement.

Comment

Wrong.. Sectarianism is Islamic

Right Hadiths on the topic are yet another example of early Muslim inferiority complexes where they wanted to have flowery literature like the Jews and concocted hadith borrowing wholesale from Jewish traditions.
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Righton for your Wrong

Comment

Working...
            X