• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The meaning of "Al-Rehman"

Assalam-o-alikum..

Allhamdulillah-e-Rabbil Aalameen
    Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem

I would like to know what is the true and exact meaning of Al-Rahman.

there are two types of Allah's name. One are of category related to characteristic and can be translate the other are which are the names and cannot be translated in any language..

Most of the ullemas take the name Al-Rahman as translative name, and translate it as " The most Gracious".

whereas i have come to know, that Al-Rahman is the native name like Allah, and cannot be translated in any language

I would like to know what are your views.
    and explanation if possible..

Thanks..

------------------
    Dont think "you can" know "you can"
    .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

You said native name like Allah(SWT) but if u translate the meaning of Allah it means the one and only God. may be i am wrong.

Comment

This might be irrelevant to some people here but look what i found about the word "Rakhamim" in hebrew: El Malei Rachamim - Literally: G-d, full of compassion.

Also they jews call Allah by the following names: Eloh, and Ha Rahaman/Rachaman.

Comment

Reza khan..

thanks for the information..

can u also diffrentiate between Al-Rahman and Al-Raheem ??

------------------
        Dont think "you can" know "you can"
        .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

Comment

Rehman is "rehmat karnay wala", He who blesses.
          Raheem is "rehem karnay wala" He who has mercy.

Comment

Just to briefly expand on Akif's point, the word "Rahmaan" is of the form "fa'laan", which implies emphasis. For example, "kaslaan" means lazy but contains emphasis. Likewise "ghadbaan" means angry etc...

As for "Raheem", this is of the form "fa'eel", which is for adjectives. Such descriptions do not change through time. So, Allah's Mercy is Eternal.

------------------
            Wahb ibn Munabbih said, "... Then honour yourself by rejecting the characteristics of the fools, and instead subject yourselves to the characteristics of the scholars. And custom yourself to the actions of the gentle, patient ones and forbid yourself from the actions of the
            wretched, and make it compulsory upon yourself that you follow the behaviour of the scholars, and separate yourself from the ways of the wicked people..."

Comment

Working...
            X