Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAN this person

This was posted in another thread.

Do us a favor Sentinel and ban this person. From what he has said on the board so far he's definitely a non-muslim. I wonder why he's so intent on poking his head into threads which deal with muslims only.
    I am curious, how would members react if there is a policy that certain threads are opened for people belonging to a certain point of view only.

For example, at the start of the thread, the topic starter says "I have this question and I only want views/responses from those who subscribe to shia point of view", or "hanafi point of view", or "responses are required only in the light of quran and without any reference to any ahadith".

Will this result in more focussed discussion so that threads are not derailed by a person who does not believe in the religion in the first place? Or will it mean an unnatural curb to the freedom of opinion as envisioned in an online discussion board?

As an online board, our responses define our thought-process, even if there is no other way to verify our identity. I see a lot of threads, where someone asks a question, and then another person mocks the basic premise of the question beceause it relies on an hadith or something similar. This derails the whole discussion for the one who started the thread or if he/she is seeking an answer to a question.

On the other hand, if we can specify at the top who is welcome to post the response and who should stay away, the responsibilities of the mods will increase manifold, as they will be entrusted to delete all responses which derail the discussion and at the same time it will project an exclusionary board, where members like PA or faceup will be denied to present their opinion on most issues which rely on ahadith, for example.

What is your opinion?

Members who are looking for an answer can ignore the unnecessary comments. A little bit of patience & tolerance is all that is needed!
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
      Members who are looking for an answer can ignore the unnecessary comments. A little bit of patience & tolerance is all that is needed!

------------------
      Dont think "you can" know "you can"
      .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

Comment

"For example, at the start of the thread, the topic starter says "I have this question and I only want views/responses from those who subscribe to shia point of view", or "hanafi point of view", or "......."

And there are some members for whom this should be included, "I am looking for responses from only those who agree with me"

Comment

I don't think banning a person would work since they can come back with another ID, nor do I think that we should say, this thread contains this point of view. Some of us, don't align ourselves with any point of view as people in search of the truth.

Therefore, I believe that it should be stressed that lack of respect in this forum will not be tolerated. This means that as a community we will not respond to those individuals whose sole purpose is to create havoc by using name calling, etc...

If people are ignored, then the discussion cannot go anywhere. They can scream and shout until they are blue in the face. I remember a certain individual who was ranting & raving about how unjust and unfair Islaam is b/c he couldn't marry his girlfriend of four years. His threads consisted of his own posts, eventually the lack of responses from the guppies stopped him. Maybe he's still around but those threads have ceased to exists, thank Goodness!

Comment

Ok, just kidding.

That wasn't a clever joke.

Sentinel.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel (edited April 23, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
              The problem is that people will respond to the instigators and the whole thread goes off topic.

PS: I am not advocating the ban on anyone nor restricting who can respond to what. On the whole things would be better if members showed some restraint.
              "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Working...
              X