Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lie when needed

Islam alloweds you to lie if your life is in danger
    It was claimed in another thread. Can someone explain the grounds of such teaching in Islam?
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Ahmadjee, can you write a little more about the context this statement was said in.
    thanks.

Comment

HUH? rather vague there.

Comment

Though I don't believe the context really matters but here is the link where this was claimed.

You can make your own judgment about the context.
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

I read this a long time ago. It's just one example/reference with examples of hadith(for those that follow hadith.):

The basic rule with regard to lying is that it is not permitted, but there are certain circumstances in which Islam permits lying to serve a greater purpose or to prevent harm.

One of these situations is when a person mediates between two disputing parties in order to reconcile between them, if reconciliation cannot be achieved in any other way. Um Kalthoom (may Allaah be pleased with her) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He is not a liar who reconciles between people and conveys something good or says something good.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2495).

Another example is a man’s speaking to his wife, or a woman speaking to her husband, with regard to matters that will strengthen the ties of love between them, even if that is accompanied by exaggeration. Asma’ bint Yazeed said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Lying is not permitted except in three cases: a man’s speaking to his wife to make her happy; lying at times of war; and lying in order to reconcile between people.’” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 1862; he said: it is a hasan hadeeth. See also Saheeh Muslim, 4717).

------------------
          Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another

This is not my Paradise
          "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

Lying to Wife?? Well here's another 'gem'.

Bukhari Book 56, Number 56.7.15:

Malik related to me from Safwan ibn Sulaym that a man asked the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, "Can I lie to my wife, Messenger of Allah?" The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "There is no good in lying." The man said, "Messenger of Allah! Shall I make her a promise and tell her?" The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "It will not be held against you."

PakistaniAbroad: Now whatever it's supposed to mean, it clearly shows the fabricators of hadith didn't get a chance to reconcile their stories.
            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Ahmadjee you were right about the context being irrelevant. I think we don't have to rely on hadith to find guidance in this matter. My conscience tells me that it'd be ok to lie when it's lesser of the two evils, whether or not it involves danger to my(or somebody else's) life. For instance, when it involves saving an innocent's life from an oppressor.
              Of course there'll always be poeple who will try to spin this to their advantage. Lying on the tax forms to save money so that more can be given out in Zaakat is not a valid excuse

Comment

Prophet (saw) said think twice before saying any thing.. and if u don know if u are doing right thing ask ur heart.. is that too hard for a man to know when he is gona couse bad and when he is gona cause good..

------------------
                "Only for Allah and to gain His pleasure"
                "You are either slave to what made man or u are slave to what man made"

Comment

I cannot imagine AnHazoor (saw) lying or telling others its ok to lie! Can someone tell me when and where did he himself lie? Or do you believe that he was never in such a heart reckoning position to aid a fabrication? Indeed he was many times but as far as I know he stood fast on truth & truth alone!

Wasn't he named the Sadaq? The one who always tell the truth?

I believe in the hadiths PA pointed out to be closer to the word of Prophet (saw) & his teachings.

And what about this verse of Quran:

3:162. And it is not possible for a Prophet to act dishonestly, and whosoever acts dishonestly shall bring with him that, concerning which he has been dishonest, on the Day of Resurrection. Then every soul shall be fully paid what it has earned; and they shall not be wronged.
                  Isn't lying considered being dishonest?

[This message has been edited by ahmadjee (edited April 22, 2002).]
                  - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Working...
                  X