Women created from rib.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women created from rib.....

The mainstream belief in islam is that Eve was created from the rib of Adam. But while reading sahih bukhari i found some ahadith that say all women are created from the rib.

The ahadith are:

Allah 's Apostle said, "Treat women nicely, for a women is created from a rib, and the most curved portion of the rib is its upper portion, so, if you should try to straighten it, it will break, but if you leave it as it is, it will remain crooked. So treat women nicely."
    (Sahih Bukhari - Hadith 4.548)

The Prophet said, "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should not hurt (trouble) his neighbor. And I advise you to take care of the women, for they are created from a rib and the most crooked portion of the rib is its upper part; if you try to straighten it, it will break, and if you leave it, it will remain crooked, so I urge you to take care of the women."
    (Sahih Bukhari - Hadith 7.114)

Allah's Apostle said, "The woman is like a rib; if you try to straighten her, she will break. So if you want to get benefit from her, do so while she still has some crookedness."
    (Sahih Bukhari - Hadith 7.113)

You can see that Allah's Apostle (PBUH) has said in the first two ahdith that women are "created from rib", and in the third hadith he has himself clarified the meanings by using the words "like a rib".

This means that when it is said that Eve was created from rib, it refers to her crooked nature and not to the fact that eve was actually made from rib.

I wouldn't extrapolate from the hadith that women are crooked in nature, it could be that this was advice to the men that the nature of women was different from that of men and that their behaviour towards the nature that Allah has created for them, should be different.

I have also heard that the rib is the bone that encloses the heart and protects it. This is also symbolic of the relationship between a husband and a wife where the wife is the protector of the man's heart.

Comment

Originally posted by sadeyes_neverlie:
      You can see that Allah's Apostle (PBUH) has said in the first two ahdith that women are "created from rib", and in the third hadith he has himself clarified the meanings by using the words "like a rib".
      Isn't this theory against the Quran's teachings?

[al-An`am 6:2.4] He it is created you from clay, and then decreed a stated term (for you). And there is in His presence another determined term; yet ye doubt within yourselves!

an-Nisa' 4:1.8] O mankind! reverence your Guardian-Lord, who created you from a single person, created, of like nature, His mate, and from them twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women;- reverence God, through whom ye demand your mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (That bore you): for God ever watches over you.

[This message has been edited by aishaA (edited April 21, 2002).]
      "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

Mushi:

The word crooked here is not used in the meaning of 'dishonest' but in the meanings of 'not straight or bent'.

This is a metaphor used by the Holy Prophet pbuh and it could mean what you've wrote, it could also mean that like a rib is flexible, so are women. So we see that women tend to adjust to a lot of different surroundings eg after marriage. Plz dont take it as if i wanted to disgrace the women through this.

Aisha:

I presnted these ahadith to prove that the words 'created from the rib' are used only as metaphor and not as an actual incident. Had they been used a an actual incident, they would certainly habe been against the quranic teachings.

Comment

the words 'created from the rib' are used only as metaphor and not as an actual incident
          are you sure??? you mean to say this is idiomatic arabic??

I for one believe the author of the narration meant EXACTLY what's written..

WHY??

because the idea is borrowed wholesale from Judaeo-Christian teachings.. (not the first time Hadith borrows ideas from these religions).

We had a discussion on the topic a while back
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
            are you sure??? you mean to say this is idiomatic arabic??

I for one believe the author of the narration meant EXACTLY what's written..

WHY??

because the idea is borrowed wholesale from Judaeo-Christian teachings.. (not the first time Hadith borrows ideas from these religions).

I dont think so. See, 'made from rib' and 'like a rib' the meaning is clear.

Comment

I guess none was created from my rib as they seem to be all intact!

Did ya'll know that according the some Native American religions, the first woman was created from the left leg?
              I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
              - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Working...
              X