Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about women wearing veils

Hello,
    I have read so many articles on the internet concerning women wearing veils, such as the one below. http://home.swipnet.se/islam/hijab.htm

On one hand it seems that maybe it is showing respect for women, but on the other hand it really makes men look bad. It's like saying that men can't look at or talk to a women without thinking improper thoughts.
    Don't get me wrong, I am very much in favor of all people dressing modestly, but at the same time, I don't understand why a women's head must be covered. When I go out in public the only part of me showing is my face and my hands, and I do not wear tight clothing.
    As to men and women talking to each other, at least here, I don't see how you could avoid it. I don't go out of my way to have long talks with men other than my husband, but how can you not talk to men that aren't family members, when you go to stores and other places?
    I wish that more men thought like my father did. He told me that once he married my mother, all of the other woman, might as well have been men.

I am not trying to ridicule your religion. I am just trying to understand, so please don't get upset with me!!!

------------------
    Brenda McLennan

Hello there bcsm57-

I guess we can call it varying degrees of the same belief maybe? You might feel comfortable with your attire (which might've been dictated by the surroundings you grew up in)- similarly for a Muslim girl it might be strange to see someone without proper head cover.

And like I've stated many times before- Islam is part 'logic' and part 'obedience'. Which just means that sometimes you do good things- and sometimes you do things just to show your God that you're obedient. And having extra head-cover can never hurt you really- it'll only benefit you.

As far as the 'men' go- I can only say that there are men in this world who are of the opinion "If food is left uncovered, why not eat it?"- The ruling is in place for men to avoid eye-contact and any such thing and to keep their distance, and a similar ruling is in place for women- just so as to avoid anything immoral.

To really find out about this ruling you'll have to go back in times to the time when it was ordered and you'll find out that women were treated as sex objects literally- and hence the order was given- 'cover thyself so as not to attract attention'- you see why this might've been ordered? To prevent anything wrong from happening at all. And if you look carefully this is how it all starts- today i wont cover my hair- tommorow I can wear a short-sleeved dress- the day after- i'll get rid of something else. Do you not see how this chain has led to once again creating the same environment where women are used as sex labels on advertisements for things so cheap as a piece of gum?

Comment

Ace
      Thank you for your response.
      What you said makes a lot of sense. It does seem that we have started down a very wierd path with commercials and the like. The reactions of men are why I do dress conservately, don't need that kind of attention!!!
      I think I understand.
      Thanks Again

------------------
      Brenda McLennan

Comment

may i add from a biological and psychological point of view[obseravable evrywhere]
        there is a basic difference in men and women’s sexual orientation, men’s sexuality is more visual and physical. That is why men like to look at women, watch movies, browse through magazines

so actually hijab nips the evil in the bud

Comment

Originally posted by doctornaveeed:
          may i add from a biological and psychological point of view[obseravable evrywhere]
          there is a basic difference in men and women’s sexual orientation, men’s sexuality is more visual and physical. That is why men like to look at women, watch movies, browse through magazines

so actually hijab nips the evil in the bud
          True enough. I guess the old rule of out of sight out of mind applies!!!

Comment

http://www3.pak.org/gupshup/Forum13/HTML/004601.html

you might like to visit the above thread. it's somewhat related to your question.

Comment

Hijab only makes men more pervert and weak against feminine bodies...

Comment

No, i doubt that very much, hijab is supposed to put men off
                “Prophet, enjoin in your wives, your daughters and the wives of true believers to draw their veils close around them. That is more proper, so that they may be recognized (as virtuous women) and not molested. Allah is Forgiving and Merciful”. (33:59)

Comment

It is funny how life works sometimes. I had forgot about making this post, but on the way home from taking my daughter to an amusement park with her friend, I was thinking about women wearing veils, scarfs, and burkas. Then I check my e-mail, and someone had responded to my post.

It seems to me that women are having to go to a lot of trouble because of men. Of course that is hardly anything new or unique to any culture or society.

If a woman wants to wear these things, it is fine by me, but I still will never understand why as usually it is the woman, that has to hide, becasue of the weaknes of men.

I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that just seeing a woman's face and or hair, will drive the average man, into some wiered sexual frenzy.

Why make women hide themselves, if men are truly that weak (which I don't think most are) then maybe we should make them stay home, away from any contact with women. Women will work, live, and be in charge of everything. Look at the mess the world is in now, so it isn't like the men have done such a great job.(To any men reading this, I do not truly believe you need to be locked away, I believe the vast majority of men, are decent and would not to anything to dishonor a woman, regardless of how she is dressed, but if a man would react in a dishonorable fashion towards a woman, simply because he can see her face, he has a problem, big time!!!)

As for it shows how pure a woman is. Interesting point but I don't feel I need to prove anything to the world. I know how I feel and think, and so does God, that is good enough for me.

I had read the URL before where the young woman from Canada, was pointing out the advantage of being covered, but I do not agree. Yes it does keep people from judgeing you on your looks, but at the same time it takes away your idenity. I know I won't (nor am I trying to) change anyone's mind, but I have three daughters, and I have always taught them to be proud of who they are, and to hold their head up high, not hide their faces. Your face is your idenity, it is what distinguish you from another person. I agree that no one needs to walk around half dressed, but at the same time, I am not about to hide my face, or avoid eye contact with males. Do you have any idea how wierd that sounds? I have always been told you should avoid making eye contact with wild animals. Am I meant to believe that men are no more able to control themselves than a wild beast?

Yes there are a lot of crimes against women in the US, but lets take a closer look at the facts. Not all of the women that are raped are walking around in skimpy clothing. Even nuns wearing their traditional clothing have been raped, and look how they dress. I might add, even elderly nuns.

The truth is that men that are sorry enough to do these things to women are mentaly ill and will do them, regardless of what a woman is wearing. I think it is an insult to decent men everywhere. I think of the different men I have known in my life, that would never treat a woman disrepectfuly because of her dress, such as my father, son, brother in law, minister,teachers,doctor, many male friends I have had over my 45 years of life. Yes, I have had male friends, and we have been able to talk and yes make eye contact without sex coming into it. It is all about respect and behaving like a human being, and seeing others as a human being. It is all in how you are brought up.

I also think that in some ways that wearing of these items, that cover women, make them seem more off limits, and for the twisted mind, even more tempting and forbidden, and to the twisted mind, forbidden fruit is even sometimes the sweetest. If on the other hand every woman's face is shown, no one thinks so much about it.

This is proven fact. Look at the fashion trends in the US. At one time if a woman had walked aroung with the calf of her leg exposed, everyone would have been shocked. Nowdays, no one would give it the first thought.
                  If I have offend someone, I am truly sorry, but this issue really gets on my nerves(actualy my last nerve!!!) Again, I am not trying to change anyone's mind abut anything, just putting my two cents in.

Brenda

------------------
                  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!!!

Comment

Brenda, your entire post has been answered before as well. Hmm- I guess its culturally hard to agree with some things, maybe I haven't done a good job of explaining the same points before so lets hope one of the muslims female participants on the board can post their point of view regarding the issue.

Comment

Brenda why don't you visit a local masjid or islamic center, and just notice the atmosphere, the respect muslim women recieve when we are covered. I really can't explain it, but if you'd like you are always welcomed at our masjid, in durham...i'm sure it'll help you to see another side to this whole issue about 'women wearing veils'.

Just pm whenever if you'd like the address or number to the masjid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                        Brenda, your entire post has been answered before as well. Hmm- I guess its culturally hard to agree with some things, maybe I haven't done a good job of explaining the same points before so lets hope one of the muslims female participants on the board can post their point of view regarding the issue.
                        I agree, culture probably is the main difference. How you grew up, what you were taught. I'm not saying that I am right, and other's are wrong, just giving my thoughts on the subject.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bcsm57 (edited April 13, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by appkiamaanat:
                          Brenda why don't you visit a local masjid or islamic center, and just notice the atmosphere, the respect muslim women recieve when we are covered. I really can't explain it, but if you'd like you are always welcomed at our masjid, in durham...i'm sure it'll help you to see another side to this whole issue about 'women wearing veils'.

Just pm whenever if you'd like the address or number to the masjid.
                          Interesting idea!!! I live in Charlotte and of course we have both. Small world, there are at least 3 people in this message board in NC. Perhaps you could send me PM, and let me know the proper attire to wear, and how I should behave.
                          Also thank you so much for responding in such a postive way.

------------------

Comment

Personally, I think the Hijab is something that has relly been perverted in the Muslim world. Originally, it simply meant being humble, and to be modest. Modesty is defined differently by different societies. Women (AND MEN) were simply told to conform to societies views of what is modest. Somwhere along the way however, it was turned into something else. I think Hijab was changed into its present form by the men of a traditionally male dominant society, who used this as justification for their traditional beliefs concerning women. I really dont understand why women wear the hijab, or worse, the burqa everywhere they go. They should be modest, but the burqa and even the hijab i think is too extreme. In New York you can be modest in a shirt and pants. I mean the women in a Burqa is no better, or no worse then the one in shirt and pants is she?

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
                              Personally, I think the Hijab is something that has relly been perverted in the Muslim world. Originally, it simply meant being humble, and to be modest. Modesty is defined differently by different societies. Women (AND MEN) were simply told to conform to societies views of what is modest. Somwhere along the way however, it was turned into something else. I think Hijab was changed into its present form by the men of a traditionally male dominant society, who used this as justification for their traditional beliefs concerning women. I really dont understand why women wear the hijab, or worse, the burqa everywhere they go. They should be modest, but the burqa and even the hijab i think is too extreme. In New York you can be modest in a shirt and pants. I mean the women in a Burqa is no better, or no worse then the one in shirt and pants is she?
                              Lots of personal opinions huh? Sit with learned scholars of your own belief and perhaps they can make you understand better. Remember sometimes opinion seems very logical, but there are people who have spent their lives in the quest for knowledge and they can help you better.

Comment

Working...
                              X