Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Khalifah a Dictator????

Is the Khalifah a Dictator?

The Muslim world today is essentially run by regimes who govern the society in a dictatorial fashion with no regard for the well-being of the people. Unfortunately, those regimes that have claimed themselves as Islamic are no exception to this phenomenon. In fact, these regimes are among the most authoritarian that exist in the world. The existence of these regimes has caused many to mistakenly perceive the Islamic State as a dictatorship with the Khalifah as some sort of totalitarian figurehead. To complicate matters further, the only other existing alternative available to the people are the Democratic societies that exist in the West, which comparatively offer a much better life than what exists in the Muslim world. As a result, many Muslims believe that the models of Democracy and Dictatorship are the only types of political systems that exist. This misconception has caused many Muslims to believe that, unless the Islamic State is modeled after the Democracies of the West, then it will resemble a dictatorial regime no different than what exists in the Muslim world today.

The reality is that both the Democratic and Dictatorial systems are man-made systems in which the sovereignty belongs to the human being. The only difference between the two systems is the relative concentration of power; in a democracy, power is more dispersed among several branches that comprise the elite ranks of society, whereas in a dictatorship, the power is typically concentrated in the hands of one individual. However, the common denominator between the two is that, regardless of the concentration of power, the sovereignty still resides with human beings, whether one individual as in a dictatorship or in a group of elite as in a democracy (In theory, democracy states that power is in the hands of the people; however, such a theory has no practical reality because the very nature of society will prohibit such a chaotic distribution of power. Therefore, democracy is best described as an “Elitist” society). Islam is unique from both systems in that the sovereignty belongs to Allah. In the Islamic State, the Khalifah, like the people, is a slave and servant of Allah, and he is confined by the Islamic rules. Although the Khalifah has the authority, he does not possess the sovereignty. And the sovereign, who is Allah, has determined conditions for the Khalifah’s authority, including how this authority is given to him and when this authority can be taken away from him. The Khalifah is given the authority by the Muslim Ummah to implement the Islamic system, and obeying him is obligatory only if he exercises his authority for this purpose. However, once he begins to implement non-Islamic rules or he becomes unable to carry out this position, then he must be disobeyed. Furthermore, implementing non-Islamic rules is grounds for the Khalifah to be removed, and Islam outlines the procedures for selecting and removing the Khalifah.

Therefore, the Khalifah is far from the concept of dictatorship because the very basis of Islam, which establishes Allah (swt) and His Shariah as the sovereign, eliminates the source of dictators, which is the concept of designating sovereignty to human beings. Furthermore, the Islamic system, like any other system, has checks and balances to further ensure that the rulers do not overstep their boundaries. The most important of these checks and balances is the taqwa of the individual, which instills within the Muslims the Fear of Allah. This taqwa will motivate the individuals to continuously monitor the Islamic State’s policies and hold the rulers accountable for their actions. In addition, there are many other checks and balances, such as the Islamic political parties, which serve as the eyes and ears of the Ummah; the Majlis as-Shura, which continuously advises the Khalifah and addresses the grievances of the masses; and the Madhalim courts, which have the power to judge cases between the citizens and the State and can remove a ruler from his post. With all of these checks and balances in place, the Khalifah will think one thousand times before attempting to enact any policy or engage in any action that defies the limits of the sovereign.

------------------
    "Only for Allah and to gain His pleasure"

If history is anything to go by.. then the previous 1300 years of muslim rule has been hereditary authoratarian dictatorship..

In such a "khilafah" there was no chance that you could actually remove a khalifah who was
    a. not working according to the edicts of Islam.
    b. corrupt
    c. incompetent.
    d. murderers (considering most of Ottomans not only killed their opponents.. but also their father, brothers, uncles, sons etc.

If that is what you propose then.. i would be against such a government.

It is well enough to say that Khilafah is not that but history proves you wrong.

If you now argue that .. those governments were not Khilafah.. then it has been 1300 or so years (since Hazrat Ali's Rule) that you have not had a Khilafah as commanded by Allah

If there hasn't been a khilafah for 1300 years.. then how can you be sure that the edicts that came under the rule of such corrupt Kings (i prefer kings or emperors to Khalifah in this instance) are fully acceptable.. after all the Hizb Tahrir do not agree to a lot of edicts which come out of the Shura in Saudi Arabia.

Anyways.. back to the point..

What form of Khilafah are you now proposing?

if it is the first 4 Caliphs.. then they were elected by the tribal cheifs.. i.e. in modern terms a Parliament.

The tribal chiefs themselves were elected to that position by their tribesman.. so in modern terms.. an Member of Parliament being elected by his constituents.

i.e. Khalifah to be head of an Islamic Government must be elected to his post by his peers.. who themselves have been elected by their people to represent them in matters of state.

The only differnce is that Khalifah once elected in Islamic terms stays in office until removed for
    a. not doing the job properly
    b. mental or other illness which results him not doing his job properly
    c. abusing the power of his post
    d. nepotism
    e. corruption.
    plus many other things which would take me ages to write.. but you get the picture.

Now the Khalifah can nominate his representatives to carry out different functions - just like the American President does in America.. and just like there.. the Shura (or Parliament/congress) can ask the khalifah to reconsider and nominate another.. or have a confirmation hearing to ensure that the nominated person can actually do the job and has not previous history which would prevent him doing the job properly. (i.e. business interests etc.)

Conclusion
    1. Khalifah in history have been hereditary authoratarian dictators. i.e. there has not been a khilafah for 1300 years

2. for true khilafah you need elected representatives.

how are you going to ensure that such a thing does not occur once again?

Comment

first of all bro.. where in the world do u c democracy perfect. its also corrupted in usa.. as far as khalifa is concerned its a system like democracy and communism.. the difference is it applies all the aspects of Islam.. which is why it is not spose to have any flaws like our current democratic systems have.. now if we talk abt Islamic countries the democracy ain working there.. why cause we have islam in our lives (islam as system sent to us from Allah) but when a man made system gets involved in our affairs it makes a Fitnah and depression.. democracy may seem to work for western culture but its no good for our Ummah..
      now if we come to the history.. during Khalifa even if u say it was corrupted it was the most powerful ruling and we had power over kufar. like currently USA has over us and they are powerful..
      after lookin at history and present u can conclude that both Khalifah and democracy works.. but it ain true... the Khalifa is spose to be the system send to us by Allah and Allah knows how we sould regulate.. but democracy which may seem to work for this time may not always work in future cuz man made it according to its need...

so we need a Muslim state with rulings of Islam(system of Khalifah)
      also i advise u to read my other posts...

Comment

Well the Khalifs elected according to islamic jurispudence were Hazrat Abu Bakr (r.a) Hazrat Omar (r.a), hazrat Uthman (r.a), Hazrat Ali (r.a) and hazrat Omer bin abdul aziz (r.a). From then on the khilafa changed its course to kingship as Bzero says.

Generally there 3 traditions which came to elect a Khalifah during the time of khulafa rashideen. First was that of Prophet Muhammad SAW who gave the guidelines to elect the khalifa as the mutaqqi ones from the ummah. He didnt specify his successor, except giving indications whom he considered his closest companions. And when he was on his deathbed he gave the imamate of the mosque to Hazrat Abu Bakr. After his death, it was a general consensus to elect Hazrat Abu Bakr as he seemed to be the best candidate. Second tradition comes from Hazrat Abu Bakr (r.a) who after consulting with the sahaba specifically wished that he would like to see Hazrat Omar (r.a) as his successor with the approval of the sahaba. The 3 rd and the hitherto strongest tradition comes from Hazrat Omar who is hailed as one of the greatest administrators in the medieval world. Harzt Omar (r.a) after consultation with the sahaba gave a list of 6 best candidates in which he did not deliberately include his son to avoid engedering a legacy of kingship or "malukiat".

Comment

Sultan

in the same way that Thathcer proposed that her successor be John Major

or Reagan proposed that his successor be George Bush Senior?

As an standing Reagent/Prime Minister/ President.. you are well within your rights to nominate your successor.. but it is still up to rest of the people whether that person in acceptable.

Comment

U elect ur khalif how ever u want but the system itself thats should be the system of Islam.. the khalif or his group dont have any power to change or make any laws.. That guy is to just look back in sunnah or Quran and c where to use wht thing..
            u kno wht i mean.. all i m trying to say is we have got the perfect system (Islam) we just need to put it in power and use it with all of our affairs no mater what they are Islam is the solution.. not the thinking of west or their ideas...

remember in the end u dont have to answer to the west or kufar u have to answer to Allah..

“O you who believe! Enter completely into Islam and do not follow the footsteps of the Shaytan.” [TMQ 2:208]

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by blackzero:
              Sultan

in the same way that Thathcer proposed that her successor be John Major

or Reagan proposed that his successor be George Bush Senior?

As an standing Reagent/Prime Minister/ President.. you are well within your rights to nominate your successor.. but it is still up to rest of the people whether that person in acceptable.
              Yes sir, you can nominate and show your wishes to whom would like to see as the ameer, but in the end it has to be approved by the ulema and endorsed by the people.

The important thing to note is the different methods Khalifs were chosen,...implying methods were given room to evolve and adjust.

Comment

true khilafat was seen only in the time of the four khalifas (Abu Bakar, Umar, Usman and Ali - may Allah be pleased with them all) and during the election of Umar bin Abdul Aziz....

all other Muslim rulers have been dictators or kings....

------------------
                "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
                Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Warrior Dude and Toora Bora..

The khalif has the power to make all laws except the laws where the religion has prescribed a law..

how in the world would you make a law on Genetically Modified crops.. i don't see any Quranic Ayat on it.. if you find one please tell me for I would really like to know..

what else.. how would you legislate for Protection of the Environment from Industrial Pollution.. or prevent hunting of an endangered species.. or somehow to prevent damage to the ecosystem..

There isn't an ayat of Quran on that either.. once again.. i may be wrong.. prove me wrong..

How would you legislate and regulate the licensing and usage of Microwave bandwith?

There are a million laws which need to be made which have no impact on religion.. and there are no laws in religion for them

Islam is a complete religion.. with matter pertaining to self.. and the interaction of self with the state.. and the interaction of the state with the individual.

One matter one which religion is paramount .. the Ulema are the correct people to legislate laws..

on matters on which there is no matters of religion.. the Ulema have no ascendency in comparison to a common man.. for they do not hold a superior knowledge on every single subject in the world.

On what you are saying that the Khalifah should only look at Quran and Sunnah.. then you are only talking about a spiritual leader.. like Ayotallah Khamenei.. and not an Amir of the state in all matter of state.. religious and non-religious.. like a khalifah are supposed to be.

By limiting the amir/khalifah's jurisdiction to just quran and sunnah... you are limiting the jurisdiction of the powers..

I have no problem with having a khalifah and a council of ulema who only deal with the matters of religion as prescribed in Quran and sunnah...

and all matter which are not in the above guidance is left to us mere mortals.. and we can elect however we like leaders who can deal with those issues.

Comment

jeero pajeero,

nice post, but didnt have to do anything what I or mr. mughal said. ayatollah khamanei and his coucil not only approves of what candidates are to run for election they also dictate what laws are to be enforced.
                    This is indeed limitation of the head of the govt. which shouldnt be there.

Comment

Warrior Dude and Toora Bora..

The khalif has the power to make all laws except the laws where the religion has prescribed a law..

how in the world would you make a law on Genetically Modified crops.. i don't see any Quranic Ayat on it.. if you find one please tell me for I would really like to know..

what else.. how would you legislate for Protection of the Environment from Industrial Pollution.. or prevent hunting of an endangered species.. or somehow to prevent damage to the ecosystem..

There isn't an ayat of Quran on that either.. once again.. i may be wrong.. prove me wrong..

How would you legislate and regulate the licensing and usage of Microwave bandwith?

There are a million laws which need to be made which have no impact on religion.. and there are no laws in religion for them

Islam is a complete religion.. with matter pertaining to self.. and the interaction of self with the state.. and the interaction of the state with the individual.

One matter one which religion is paramount .. the Ulema are the correct people to legislate laws..

on matters on which there is no matters of religion.. the Ulema have no ascendency in comparison to a common man.. for they do not hold a superior knowledge on every single subject in the world.

On what you are saying that the Khalifah should only look at Quran and Sunnah.. then you are only talking about a spiritual leader.. like Ayotallah Khamenei.. and not an Amir of the state in all matter of state.. religious and non-religious.. like a khalifah are supposed to be.

By limiting the amir/khalifah's jurisdiction to just quran and sunnah... you are limiting the jurisdiction of the powers..

I have no problem with having a khalifah and a council of ulema who only deal with the matters of religion as prescribed in Quran and sunnah...

and all matter which are not in the above guidance is left to us mere mortals.. and we can elect however we like leaders who can deal with those issues.

First thing u gota know is that Islam isnt just a complete religion.. but its also a complete system... Our Prophet(s) also ran a state.. and the sahaba's also did... so we gota look back into sunnah's and sahaba's ways.. and c how they regulated.. And one more thing dont ask for Quranic ayas for every anwer.. most of the time its also in Sunna of Prophet(s)..
                      aiet peace out!

------------------

Comment

One matter on which religion is paramount .. the Ulema are the correct people to legislate laws..

Well BlackZero!

Firstly you said that "Islam is a complete religion.."
                        ANS:Wrong Islam is not only a complete religion but also a complete nizam(code of life) that encircles all spheres of life.

Secondly, you propose that there must be a Khalifah and a council of ulema who only deal with matters relating to religion. And all other matters relating to non-religious matters be resolved by us.
                        ANS:You had resolved this according to your mind. But we have to follow what our Creator orders and the footsteps of the Prophet(SAW). Allah(SWT) says that we should regulate every sphere of our life according to His instructions. Therefore, all matters, religious and non-religious, are to be solved by the Khalifah in accordance with Allah's instructions.

Thirdly, you said that we dont find any Ayah on many matters (e.g. on cloning matter, on test-tube babies,etc.).
                        ANS:Well, The Lord Who has even told us how to go to toilet and how to cut our nails, how can He not tell us about such great matters!! Allah(Subhanuhu Wa Ta'ala) claims that The Quran contains all the instructions relating to all matters of life. Now its our fault that we do not research and ponder over its meanings.

And by the way for your kind information, Hizb-ut-Tahrir has some books based on research on instructions of Quran on such advance issues. I have heard of books that tell what Islam says about cloning, test-tube babies, etc.

Hey, Warrior of Allah find these books and tell this guy the names.

And remember, the nizam given by the Creator is the best. The creation can never give a system above the Creator's one!!! Simple, if I create a machine, I will know how it can be used in the best manner, and yet my knowledge is so limited.

Now Allah has created us and His knowledge is Unlimited. What can you say about His nizam!!!

And Allah Ta'ala knows best!!!!!

------------------
                        Rooh kee gehraai say niklee howee baat
                        Rooh kee gehraai tak zaroor jaai gee!!

Happy Souls Make A Community Happy!

Comment

Originally posted by armughal:
                          true khilafat was seen only in the time of the four khalifas (Abu Bakar, Umar, Usman and Ali - may Allah be pleased with them all) and during the election of Umar bin Abdul Aziz....

all other Muslim rulers have been dictators or kings....
                          You are right but at least these latter caliphs were implementing the Islamic rule even though they themselves were not very strong personalities!!!

The point is that now our rulers dont implement Islam on us but they implement the System of the Kuffar and we are forced to live under it!!!

And Allah Knows Best!!
                          ------------------
                          Rooh kee gehraai say niklee howee baat
                          Rooh kee gehraai tak zaroor jaai gee!!

Happy Souls Make A Community Happy!

URL for advertisements are not allowed

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited April 08, 2002).]

Comment

Warrior dude.. ok.. you say look sunnah.. then find me reference in sunnah for the points i raised.

skill jaan..

read my post.. in detail this time.. from the first one..

I do not propose that Khalifah and ulema only deal with matter of religion.. it was a reply to statement made..

I totally agree that Khalifah is the figurehead of secular and religious aspect of a muslim in Islamic State.. but the ulema are definately not involved in matters which do not have a religious aspect to it.

Islam is a complete religion.. and a basic framework for life in general..

Islam does not have ruling on many aspects of life.. aspects which had not reason for "laws" in the time of the prophet..

If the nizaam of Islam was perfect.. we would not have two major aspects in the religion
                            1. ijmaa
                            2. ijtihaad

Ijmaa llows muslims to gather.. discuss and matters and come to a decision..

Ijtihaad allows a muslim to make a decision on a new problem based on guidance from solutions of previous problems

There would not have any need for fatwas as well if all aspects were within quraan and sunnah.

not all aspects of the religion were considered in the life of the prophet as]
                            1. they either did not arise
                            2. there wasn't time to deal with them

but lets not go to far from the topic at hand..

As for all matter religious and non-religious being solved by the khalifah.. get real.. do you think he will have time for that to begin with?

The Creator has given us a brain to use.. think .. ponder.. progress.

Of all information which was necessary was held in Quran.. you would not have the hadith saying it is compulsory on all muslims to learn even if they have to go to China.. that statement does not seem like advice given to a follower of a religion which claims all information ever to be needed is held in a book.

I agree that Quran has a huge amount of information.. but it is there as a guide.. a warning.. and signs of the glory of the creation..

In summation

The Khalifah is the figurehead of the country.. he is the ultimate authority in the Islamic state.. he does not run every aspect of the muslim society.. how do you expect one man to manage 1.5 billion people by himself?

for closest similarity......... look at china.. yes you have one man at the top.. but look at the machinery under him to ensure that the country runs..

Comment

Working...
                            X