X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polyandry in hinduism

Raises some interesting questions.

1) How can you tell who is the father?
    2) With high female infanticide does it helps?
    3) Is polyandry a way to get even with men ??
    4) Don't you guys feel that it is discriminatory?

[This message has been edited by Abdali (edited April 04, 2002).]

Ever evolving Hinduism, which has been on earth for the last 4000-4500 years is virtually undogmatic.

Even things that we would cringe upon today were once a commonly accpeted practice in Hinduism. Hinduism has been through the extremes if we take all its life into account,
    [*]be it burning a woman or glorifying a woman, [*]be it untouchability or giving them preference[*]be it being tortured by minorities or torturing the minorities [*]from worshipping idols to understanding a philosophy

As humans have evolved throught history, the Hindu school of thought has evolved with the human race to be relevant for ever. In fact most older religions show the same trend at this time (including Islam). And, Hinduism can be used to extrapolate the future of many schools of thought and religions including Islam.
    [*] Similarly, incidents of polyandry, polygamy, monogamy everything is found throuout Hindu mythology. Social ignorance, poverty and illiteracy has contributed to the survival of remote traces of polyandry and polygamy even to this day, while an average Hindu looks down on Polygamy or Polyandry at this time -(which may change, as Hinduism accepts the evolution of human thought)

Fortunately or unfortunately Hinduism doesn't freeze itself into time by subscribing to a book or song or ritual. This helps to correct itself in the long time.

Abdali anymore questions, I will be happy to answer!

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited April 04, 2002).]

Comment

Kumar boy like always you dodge the question and disappear when nailed.

I am not interested in hinduism this and hinduism that we all know what hinduism is.

Since I asked too many questions at the same time i must admit I was unfair. Let me make life easy for you! and start with one.

1) How can you tell who is the papa??

Comment

Sorry for overestimating you IQ and giving you a perspective on Hinduism!

To directly answer your question at the level you asked:

It was impossible to find who is the papa. But it is becoming possible nowadays.

It could've!

It could've!! But there were sages about 4500 years ago who professed monogamy as well.

No, it is NOT, as a few men were also polygamous!

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
          Sorry for overestimating you IQ and giving you a perspective on Hinduism!

To directly answer your question at the level you asked:

It was impossible to find who is the papa. But it is becoming possible nowadays.

It could've!

It could've!! But there were sages about 4500 years ago who professed monogamy as well.

No, it is NOT, as a few men were also polygamous!

Wow!! look who is talking ..my my took few posts to comprehend what is being asked, must be lot of IQ at work here.

Now please tell us those children who don't know who their papa is what are they called.

Comment

Come on yaar Abdali, don't embarass the poor guy. Just because these guys have their head in the gutter, we should not stoop their levels. The best course of action is to ignore the infamous threads launched by curious Brahmins and highly intelligent Kumars.

(I request no *****-back Kumar, please! I'm trying to help you here, aka trying to be your saviour as you mentioned in another forum.)

Comment

Originally posted by sambrialian:
              Come on yaar Abdali, don't embarass the poor guy. Just because these guys have their head in the gutter, we should not stoop their levels. The best course of action is to ignore the infamous threads launched by curious Brahmins and highly intelligent Kumars.

(I request no *****-back Kumar, please! I'm trying to help you here, aka trying to be your saviour as you mentioned in another forum.)
              sambrialian

Advice taken, thanks...
              P.S: There is a lot more on hinduism but I'd rather not.

Comment

Sambrialian and Abdali:

"With tons of love let me say this to you!"
                [*] No one needs to be ashamed of the past or the present. What we did in the past may seem wrong today and may seem to be right again sometime in the future. Also what we do now may seem to be wrong in the future and vice versa.
                [*] If we feel that we have made mistakes, we should learn from them and correct ourselves (as Hinduism does) instead of being ashamed of them. (for example, 1900s began with privatization which changed to nationalization and now the theme is again privatization.)

If wanna believe that I am embarrassed, and if it will make you happy, go ahead, have a party.

*** Hinduism has been an evolving butterfly for ever and I only awe at its metamorphosis, rather than feeling sorry for being a caterpillar in the past ***
                [*] It makes me feel secure and look ahead with enormous confidence! I don't feel insecure not to answer his question or call for fatwas against the questioner or beg the moderator to close this thread.

(In fact even Islam has shown this trend. It is no more attractive to chop off somebody's head or throwing stones on somebopdy in public. No civilized Muslim nation chops of the hands of somebody who has stolen something.)
                [*] In essence, Human race evolves. If we should be ashamed of the past, then we should be ashamed for being a neanderathal in the past!

[*] Let me conclude by repeating one more thing. If you guys still want to be deluded that I am embarrased at anything, and if that makes you all happy and forget your insecurities, go ahead, celebrate, have a party!

Comment

ok, I'm having a party in my cubicle. Wanna join?

Comment

I don't get this. If a man can have more than one Woman, why not the other way round?

Infact strictly as a matter of giving Physical satisfaction, Polyandry works better than Polygamy.

Comment

Good point Andhra. In your case it would probably make sense to move over and let somebody else do the job properly.

Comment

Xtreme Bhai Asslam Alaikum

Leaving my sexual prowess aside, it is a well known fact that Women's 'Satisfaction' is relatively rare. Men's ends with ejaculation as you probably know from your lonely experiments behind the shower curtain!!

Hence all the big deal about 'Orgasm' and the 'Fake' Orgasm which Seinfeld classified as Sexual Perjury!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
                          I don't get this. If a man can have more than one Woman, why not the other way round?

Infact strictly as a matter of giving Physical satisfaction, Polyandry works better than Polygamy.

so basically wat u mean to say is that someone comes to visit u and says that ur lil boy resembles anand ,and anand winks at ur wife after hearing that u r ok with it.coooooooooooooool.we muslims r not.evry one to his own i guess

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:

*** Hinduism has been an evolving butterfly for ever and I only awe at its metamorphosis, rather than feeling sorry for being a caterpillar in the past ***

so it means there have been no principles ,there r no principles,there will be no principles.u ppl do wat u want.why say u have a religion then.actually u dont.and since u dont u r jealos of the fastest growing religion.wow it makes sense now.

Comment

>>so basically wat u mean to say is that someone comes to visit u and says that ur lil boy resembles anand ,and anand winks at ur wife after hearing that u r ok with it.coooooooooooooool.we muslims r not.evry one to his own i guess <<

Not at all!!! I am not saying Hindus practice Polyandry as a custom.
                              What I am saying is Polyandry is as valid as polygamy.

As for visiting houses and stuff, look at Muslim history and find that your Prophet Mohammed married his adopted son's wife after 'Visiting' his house.

Being his devout follower no doubt you will get such thoughts but rest assured Hindus won't!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X