Kidney for work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kidney for work

The past month we had a case in South Africa where an unemployed man advertised for employment. In exchange for the person giving him employment, he will donate one of his kidneys to whom his new employed wants a kidney for.

The whole idea was discussed at length on a radio talk show. Some people felt the guy is mad, just looking for attention, unemployable (something must be seriously wrong and thats the reason he can't get employment). Some people wanted to give him employment without taking the kidney.

What is the religious and moral standpoint on someone selling a part of his body in exchange for material gain while he is living?

'Old Man' when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought 'Old Man' is waiting for a kidney transplant, God forbid!

Anyway, I think the practice of selling your body organs is becoming more common in Asia and Africa. I donít know what the exact religious viewpoint is on this issue, but I think Islam forbids this practice. In India, many people sell their kidneys because of poverty; many rich people from around the world especially the Middle East take the advantage of the abundant availability of Kidneys at discount prices!

As for the chap who is offering his kidney for employment I think it may look like an act of desperation but more probably he was looking to get some publicity. I think the Jobless rates within the Black community are extremely high, the economic downturn within South Africa and the regional instability created by Zimbabwe doesnít hold a bright future for the unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dil he Pakistani:
      'Old Man' when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought 'Old Man' is waiting for a kidney transplant, God forbid!
      I'm as healthy as a fiddle, thanks!

What is the Islam viewpoint on donating organs after death?

What is the viewpoint of Islam on surrogate mothers?

Comment

The Holy Quran says: "and whoever saves a life it would be as if he saved the life of all the people."
        Perhaps there is no better way to implement this concept than in the area of saving lives by transplanting donated organs to replace failing vital ones.

'Old Man' so Islam does generally allow Organ transplants. Although I dont know what the full rules and circumstances are. If anyone else knows please post here.

[This message has been edited by Dil he Pakistani (edited April 05, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
        X