Quranic verses about the jews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quranic verses about the jews

The ayats in which Allah (swt) mentions the Jews being transformed into Monkeys (or apes) are shown below:

"And indeed you knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath (i.e. Saturday). We said to them: "Be you monkeys, despised and rejected."" [2:65]

"Say (Oh Muhammed to the people of the Scriptures): "Shall I inform you of something worse than that, regarding the recompense from Allah: those (Jews) who incurred the Curse of Allah and His Wrath, and those of whom (some) He transformed into monkeys and swines, and those who worshipped Taghut (false Gods); such are worse in rank (on the Day of Resurrection in the Hell-fire), and far more astray from the Right path (in the life of this world)."" [5:60]

"So when they forgot the remindings that had been given to them, We rescued those who forbade evil, but We seized those who did wrong with a severe torment because they used to rebel against Allah's command (disobey Allah)" [7:166]

Now, the context of these three revealed ayats is explained in the ayat in Surah Al-Araf, ayat number 163, which says:
    "And ask them about the town that was by the sea; when they transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath: when their fish came to them openly on the Sabbath day, and did not come to them on the day they had no Sabbath. Thus we made a trial for them, for they used to rebel against Allah's command." [TMQ 7:163]

The story in ayat [7:163] is about the story of some Jews who defied Allah's command, so that His punishment overtook them all of a sudden for their evil actions, transgression and defiance by way of deceit. The town mentioned in ayat [7:163] is a village called Aylah, on the shores of the Qulzum (red) sea. So these villagers (Jews) transgressed in the Sabbath and defied Allah's command to them to keep it sanctified. They defied the command by using deceitful means to avoid honoring the Sabbath by placing nets, ropes etc for the purpose of fishing before the Sabbath would enter. When the fish came in abundance on the Saturday as usual, they were caught in the ropes and nets for the rest of the Saturday. During the night, the Jews collected the fish after the Sabbath had ended (at Maghrib). Now, when they did that, Allah changed them from humans into monkeys, the animals having the form closest to humans. In the tafsir of Al-Awfi (rh), reported from Ibn Abbas (ra) that Al-Awfi said: "Allah changed their bodies into those of monkeys and swines. The young people turned into monkeys while the old people turned into swine".

These villagers were tested by Allah on the day of Sabbath by making the fish swim close to the surface of the water, on the day which they were prohibited to fish. The fish would be hidden from them on the day when they were allowed to fish. This was a test (or Imtihaan in Arabic) by Allah (swt) to the Jews, who at that time were believers (i.e. before the advent of Islam). Now, we are told that these people (Jews) used to rebel against Allah's commands by defying Him (swt) and rebelling against it. Therefore, these were a people who used to trick to violate Allah's prohibitions, taking an action that seemed legal on the surface. However, in reality, this action was meant to transgress the prohibition.
    The Messenger of Allah (swt) said with reference to this incident in history: "Do not repeat what the Jews committed, and violate Allah's prohibitions using deceitful tricks".

Allah (swt) said that the people of this village were divided into three groups (refer to [7:164-166]), a group that committed the prohibition, catching fish on the sabbath. Another group prohibited them from transgression and avoided them. A third group neither prohibited them, nor participated in their action. The third group said to the preachers (or Dawah carriers), "why do you forbid these people from the evil (munkar), when you know that they are destroyed and have earned Allah's punishment?" Therefore, they said, there is no benefit in forbidding them. The preachers (or dawah carriers) replied "that we were commanded to enjoin righteousness (Maroof) and forbid evil (munkar), for on account of our advice, they might stop this evil and repent to Allah. Certainly, if they repent to Allah, Allah will accept their repentance and grant them His mercy". When the evil-doers refused the advice, Allah states that those who enjoined the good were saved, while those who committed the transgression were destroyed, but Allah (swt) did not mention the end of those who were passive (the third group), for the compensation is comparable to the deed. This third group did not do what would warrant praise, nor commit wrong so that they are admonished. Ibn Abbas (ra) said about this issue: "I do not know whether or not the third group of people were saved"

Ibn Abi Hatim (rh) recorded that Ibn Abbas (ra) said: "Those who violated the sanctity of the Sabbath were turned into monkeys, then they perished without offspring." Ad-Dahhak (rh) said that Ibn Abbas (ra) said: "Allah turned them into monkeys because of their sins. They only lived on the earth for three days, for no transformed person ever lives more than three days. They did not eat, drink or have offspring. Allah transformed their shapes into monkeys, and He does what He wills. On the other hand, Allah created the monkeys, swines and the rest of creation in the six days (of creation) that He mentioned in His Book." So we can say that the monkeys and swine that exist now are not the descendants of those that were transformed.

Conclusion:
    Allah (swt) made those Jews of the village by the Red sea an example for those who lived during their time as well as a reminder for those to come (like ourselves today in the year 2002), by preseving their story. This is why Allah said: "and a lesson for Al-Muttaqin (the pious)", meaning a reminder. The torment and punishment that this village suffered was a result of indulging in Allah's prohibitions and their deceit. Hence, those who have taqwa should be aware of their evil behaviour, so that what occured to this village does not befall them as well. Another lesson for us (as muslims, and dawah carriers) is to realise the importance of "enjoining the good (maroof) and forbidding the evil (munkar)". Those that did enjoin the good and forbid the munkar were saved from the punishment in this life and the hereafter, by the leave of Allah (swt). Today, in the muslim lands we see Allah's prohibitions violated day-after-day. The corruption within the muslim lands has manifested itself in the land, the sea and the air. It surrounds us from all sides. We see the deceit of our muslim rulers who profess Islam, yet enslave themselves to the Kuffar, and serve their interests rather than the Ummah's, whilst at the same time arresting and imprisoning the sincere sons of this Ummah who stand up and account them for their transgressions. Today, it is more important than ever to take heed of the story of the village people in the Quran. We must work (as an Ummah) to remove this munkar in society, by enjoining the good (maroof) and calling the society in the muslim lands to Islam. This Hisbah, or enjoining the good and forbidding the evil is best undertaken by emulating the Sunnah of the Prophet (saws). That Sunnah is to work with an organised jamaat, a Hizb, concentrating ones activites to the political sphere of life, as that is the only sphere which can bring about a change for the better.

jews are good people, I wonder why muslims don't like them probably just because of whats going on in isreal.

Comment

Originally posted by secret_obsession:
      jews are good people, I wonder why muslims don't like them probably just because of whats going on in isreal.
      are u kidding ??? or havnt u read the Quran ?

-They are the rebels of Allah as stated in Quran.
      -They are responsible for all the distrurbance in the world even before the advent of Islam..
      -the most cruel, wicked nation of the world

------------------
      Dont think "you can" know "you can"
      .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

[This message has been edited by FlameZz (edited April 02, 2002).]

Comment

-They are the rebels of Allah as stated in Quran.
        -They are responsible for all the distrurbance in the world even before the advent of Islam..
        -the most cruel, wicked nation of the world
        There lies the explanation to the problem! So, Quran dictates Muslims to hate Jews? Wah!

Comment

Showket: Jazakallah khair for posting!

Kumarkn: Quran DOES NOT dictate Muslims to HATE Jews. Quran tells us how the Jews transgressed and disobeyed Allah (SWT). Just like every other nation, they were also tested and later on punished for transgressing and breaking the covenant with Allah (SWT).

------------------
          "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
          (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Comment

Not all Jews were turned into monkey.

They are just another nation who crossed the boundary. Just like we Muslims are doing today in almost every aspect of our lives. If not everyone knows here, all Jews do not want Israel, there are several who do not want Israel at the expense of this violence, disturbence, killings, ousting of Palestinians etc. Its only the Zionist Jews who want that.

------------------
            May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

[This message has been edited by Changez_like (edited April 02, 2002).]

Comment

does this verse realy appear? any mention of
              countries like india and china?

Koran 5:51
              Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are
              friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become
              one of their number. Allah does not guide the wrong-doers

Koran 5:57
              Believers, do not seek the friendship of the infidels and those who were
              given the Book before you, who have made your religion a jest and a
              pasttime...

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited April 02, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                does this verse realy appear?

Koran 5:51
                Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are
                friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become
                one of their number. Allah does not guide the wrong-doers

Koran 5:57
                Believers, do not seek the friendship of the infidels and those who were
                given the Book before you, who have made your religion a jest and a
                pasttime...

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited April 02, 2002).]
                100% correct verses. By the way, if you are sincerely, anything can happen. Look at China, our best friend. Never backed up. You know why. Friendship is based on "Sincerity" Do you have it?

*Take Your Best Shot At Me*

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
                  Showket: Jazakallah khair for posting!

Kumarkn: Quran DOES NOT dictate Muslims to HATE Jews. Quran tells us how the Jews transgressed and disobeyed Allah (SWT). Just like every other nation, they were also tested and later on punished for transgressing and breaking the covenant with Allah (SWT).

Point to be noted

Comment

Originally posted by Pakistani Tiger:
                    100% correct verses. By the way, if you are sincerely, anything can happen. Look at China, our best friend. Never backed up. You know why. Friendship is based on "Sincerity" Do you have it?

Really? Do you consider the Uighers as part of the ummah. china is very sincere in executing them in broad daylight. Are they still your friend?

Comment

Disclaimer: I do not associate myself with those who tend to profess hatred in the name of Islam!
                      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

rvikz: thnkx for the posting the verses If the Jews and the Christians can disobey Allah (SWT), break covenants made with Him (SWT) and transgress the bounds set by Him (SWT) then they can surely deceive and cheat Muslims as well as others. Not only that, but they are also known for changing the books sent to them by Allah (SWT) to fit their needs, desires, etc. Again, nothing's worse than lying/breaking covenants with Allah (SWT)...

Comment

Hellooo.. Maulvis.. wakeup

the word used in 5:51 is aulya which means ally or protector.

A book which allows you to marry Jews and Christians would ask you not to befriend them???

------------------
                          There is No Spoon
                          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

PakistaniAbroad makes a good point - how can I marry my enemy?

I second Ahmedjee's disclaimer!

Achtung

Comment

Originally posted by Chaltahai:
                              Really? Do you consider the Uighers as part of the ummah. china is very sincere in executing them in broad daylight. Are they still your friend?

Not sure what you talking about? Expalin it please!

Comment

Working...
                              X