Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Islam's poition on Child Marriages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is Islam's poition on Child Marriages?

I was just wondering, since Islam is a complete 'Deen' covering every aspect of life, what does Islam say the ideal age for a WOmen to be married is?

I mean at what age do you consider a woman to be a woman and not a girl?

As for Hinduism, legally the age of consent is 18 years, though Hindus for a long time, did child marriages.

Some Hindus still do, which is regrettable, but then Hinduism is a hopeless Religion.
    NO point talking about it.
    Islam however is a different matter.
    It is the revealed Word OF GOd and I was wondering what it's position on child marriages is!!!

I hope some scholars will enlighten me on this.

Ever The Curious Brahmin

Andhra

Here's some info about child marriages in Indoo religion

Child marriage of daughters 5-6 y old was common due to the custom of dowry and to avoid scandals [ Nand 17 ] [ Basham 167-8 ] [ Yadav 70 ] [ Altekar 16 ] [ Banerjee 70 ].

Lawbooks prescribe that the best partner for a man in one-third his age. Thus a man 18 year old should marry a girl 6 years old! -
    " A man, aged thirty years, shall marry a maiden of twelve who pleases him, or a man of twenty-four a girl of eight years of age; if (the performance of) his duties would otherwise be impeded, he must marry sooner." [ Manu IX.94 ]

This was meant to prevent any scandals. Narada states that some of the defects to be avoided in brides are if they already had a relationship with another man or have their minds set on another, they should not be selected [Sheth 67].

doesnt say nothin in your Indoo books about 18 bein a legal age. you must be confusin it with somethin else.

Comment

Just for those who might be interested, for a Muslim or Hindu or Sikh, in India, the following is the minium Legal age for a marriage to be performed:

Bride: 18
      Bride Groom: 21

Anything below, even if it was conducted with parents' approval, it is illegal. Everybody including the parents and attendees go to jail.

(For those who are curious, it is legal in USA to marry at any age with the approval of parents)

Many state governments have a recommended age for marriages:

Bridegroom: 24
      Bride: 21

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited March 28, 2002).]

Comment

Islam encourages people to marry an early age... what you consider child might not be child in another culture....

But unfortunately, this trend of early marriages is changing

Comment

Originally posted by kumarakn:
          Just for those who might be interested, for a Muslim or Hindu or Sikh, in India, the following is the minium Legal age for a marriage to be performed:

Bride: 18
          Bride Groom: 21

Anything below, even if it was conducted with parents' approval, it is illegal. Everybody including the parents and attendees go to jail.

(For those who are curious, it is legal in USA to marry at any age with the approval of parents)

Many state governments have a recommended age for marriages:

Bridegroom: 24
          Bride: 21

[This message has been edited by kumarakn (edited March 28, 2002).]
          Is government following "Hinduism" or did it borrow from "West"? Also, the dicussion is about "religions" and not about "Government set limits".

In Islam, the minimum age for anyone is..... as soon as they reach puberty. According to science, the puberty age for women starts from 9 and for boys 12. But it does not mean that any 9 year girl or 12 year boy can be married because puberty's other age limit is 15 for women and 18 for men.

If you have other numbers for puberty age, please let me know. Thanks.

------------------
          May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

[This message has been edited by Changez_like (edited March 28, 2002).]

Comment

AS usual, people are trying to divert the topic into Hinduism, which is irrelevant to the discussion.
            My question was, 'What's the Position Of Islam on Child Marrianges?'

Since you claim Islam is a complete 'Deen' that covers everything from birth to death, what does it have to say about child marriages?

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
              Since you claim Islam is a complete 'Deen' that covers everything from birth to death, what does it have to say about child marriages?
              Andhra,

Qur'an has covered the topic of marriage and has placed more emphasis on the 'economics' of it.

[an-Nur 24:33] And let those who do not find the means to marry keep chaste until Allah makes them free from want out of His grace.....

PakistaniAbroad: By not enforcing a strict rule on age, it leaves room for the judgement of people themself to determine a 'legal acceptible age', which most societies have already put in place.

------------------
              There is No Spoon
              JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Andhra bhai....i was wondering when you would come up with your next jewel of wisdom

Islam does not have an age requirement. The position on marriages is based on simple logic....logic of puberty. Once attained, a person is deemed marriageable.

Now to answer your 'real' question....no, Prophet SAW did NOT engage in 'child marriage'. Hazrat Aisha RA came to Prophet SAWs house as his wife only after she attained puberty. So that should answer your question.

Comment

Akif bhai, Assalam Alaikum !!

I don't know why you want to divert this topic to 'Prophets and Child Marriages' whereas my intention is just 'Child Marriages!!'

Anyway since you said.........

>>Now to answer your 'real' question....no, Prophet SAW did NOT engage in 'child marriage'. Hazrat Aisha RA came to Prophet SAWs house as his wife only after she attained puberty. So that should answer your question.<<

So are you saying Akif bhai, he got engaged or promised her hand in marriage, even before she attained puberty?

So is THAT allowed in Islam? I mean can girls be given away in marriage when they are children?

I mean it is as good as child marriage!!

Comment

Andhra bhai....
                    take off those selective reading glasses

and lets be honest. Your motives are abundantly clear by now. So we're all just having fun here, arent we? I know you are not out in the quest for knowledge, and you know my responses are not meant to enlighten you. All in good fun.

Giving someones hand in marriage is not the act of marriage itself, is it? Its common for one to be spoken for at an early age, and there is nothing wrong with it. Prophet SAW had his nikah done with Hazrat Ayesha RA when she was young, but the marriage was consummated after she attained puberty. Meaning, the marriage occurred when she was of age. Understood? (ah who am I kidding)

Comment

Andhra if you havn't understood about the topic read, carefully the both posts from AKIF...

yes without those selective glasses..

and do not raise that sick point again.

------------------
                      Dont think "you can" know "you can"
                      .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

Comment

>>Its common for one to be spoken for at an early age, and there is nothing wrong with it. Prophet SAW had his nikah done with Hazrat Ayesha RA when she was young, but the marriage was consummated after she attained puberty. Meaning, the marriage occurred when she was of age. Understood? (ah who am I kidding)<<

Well that brings back the question.
                        Is it OK for girls to be 'spoken for at an early age'?
                        Why is it different is it from a child marriage?

After all even here the girl has no choice!!!

Let's accept for the sake argument that you are speaking of societies 700 odd years ago.

How about now? Is it allowed?
                        Like, can a 12 year Pakistani girl be 'spoken for'?

Comment

Andhra bhai...

Now that your original question has been adequately answered, youve come up with the petty issue of teen-preteen match making?
                          In Pakistan, many a times, children are spoken for right at birth. That is not the act of marriage in itself. Just a verbal agreement. The guy and girl always have the right to consent or refuse, once they are of age. But most of the time, they dont object, because a lot of trust is put in the hands of parents in our culture. India used to be the same, but India is on a rapid pace towards westernization, so theyve drowned in the club culture, and have lost touch of it.

This westernization exists in Pakistan as well, but family units are still much more cohesive.

Andhra bhai.....waiting for more wisdom from your high-ness(since youre always high)

Comment

Akif Bhai,
                            Assalm Alaikum
                            Let's leave India and HInduism out of this one.
                            So you are saying Girls being 'spoken of' even at birth is no big deal are you?

Comment

Its no big deal, so long as she is given the chance to consent once she comes of age. Same is the case with boys by the way. And in both cases, they are asked for their consent when they come of age.

But rather than prod me about why its not a big deal to me, why dont you tell me why it is a big deal to you?

And another question, why do you get so defensive when something from india or hinduism is cited in comparison? I know its primarily a lack of arguments, since you find it easy to jump on Islam based on your vast knowledge of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X