Why Do Hindus Worship Male Organs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Do Hindus Worship Male Organs?

So why do you worship the "lingam?" I find that very disgusting and barbaric.

------------------
    It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity, to fulfil the
    contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the God-fearing. [ Verse 177 : Surah Al-Baqarah ]

hindus dont worship male organs. "lingum" is sanskrit for "emblem/symbol". "shiv lingum" means "the sacred mark of shiva". of course, tantrics did give a sexual twist to this.
    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

When I asked hindus what "lingam" was etc, they stated it was the male organ of "shiva."

------------------
      It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity, to fulfil the
      contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the God-fearing. [ Verse 177 : Surah Al-Baqarah ]

Comment

what can one do without it? it is god's gift
        to procreate. symbol of fertilty no one can do without it. islam also respects it
        and want to protect it by way of circumcision?

[This message has been edited by rvikz (edited March 28, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
          what can one do without it? it is god's gift
          to procreate.
          So that makes it okay to worship? That's disgusting!

------------------

Comment

it is ok to pay respect to life giving
            fertile lands rivers and all the good things
            that god given us. may mulsims pay respect to one god responsible for that hindus do
            much more personally. idea is same means may be different.

Comment

>>So that makes it okay to worship? That's disgusting!<<

Well, we find marrying 9 year old girls totally disgusting too, though Hindus have done it in the past!!!!

To each his taste!!

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                it is ok to pay respect to life giving
                fertile lands rivers and all the good things
                that god given us. may mulsims pay respect to one god responsible for that hindus do
                much more personally. idea is same means may be different.
                I still don't get it. Why worship something that God created when you can worship THE ONE CREATOR?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
                  >>So that makes it okay to worship? That's disgusting!<<

Well, we find marrying 9 year old girls totally disgusting too, though Hindus have done it in the past!!!!

To each his taste!!

You still have not answered my question.

------------------

Comment

The concept of lingam is derived from the fact that it is the in the form of a lingam. The full word runs as "Jyothirlingam" means the Lingam in the form of jyothi, i.e. the flame. If you see any candle burning, the flame gets an oval-cylyndrical shape and Shiva the creator of the world could not be given any face and the people started making the shape of the "jyothi" or the light. Over the years, invaders and non-Hindus converted the same and used it for their advantage and also many Hindus are to blame for this, as they have failed effectively in countering this propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by Tube Runner:
                      I still don't get it. Why worship something that God created when you can worship THE ONE CREATOR?

yeaha , i wonder the same thing...why worship an idole made by another human being, or why worship a cow who is far inferior than me, since i am a human being...

Comment

>>You still have not answered my question.<<

Read what Victory has to say about this.
                        'Lingam' doesn't just mean the male organ.
                        What it represents is the power of creation.

I would say, it has it's origins in the beginnings of Religion itslf, when humans saw reproductive organs as divine because they can create life, which is miraculous if you think about it!!

You gotta remember HInduism has no beginning point or a Prophet or a fixed theology.

You really can't say 'Hindus' referring to them as a community. You can do that more appropriately with Muslims or Christians.
                        Though different scets among them have their differences, they do agree upon certain things, which is kinda abasent in Hinduism.

So the REligion adopts and evolves.

For example the 'Purdah' followed by some high caste Hindus has it's origin in Islamic practices probably.

Or the various Hindu organizations translating scriptures, documenting etc.,
                        It definitely was a reaction when MUslims and Christians came and asked 'So What IS your Religion?'

Left to themselves HIndus wouldn't have bothered writing anything down!!!

AS a HIndu I have no objection to the REligion changing so long as the change is for the better.

Ofcourse if you see what's happenning in India nowadays, you will conclude Hindus are getting Islamised and Muslims are getting Talibanized, which though sad, explains why the sub-continent sucks.

Comment

what kind of topic is this?

[This message has been edited by Arshia84 (edited March 28, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Arshia84:
                            Excuse me, where the heck did hinduism and male organs got to do with this thread???

Okay for next puzzle to christianity is this whole business of new and old testement......
                            why is there a new testment, was it written after jesus?
                            Also is their any proof to show that the bible hasn't changed since its revelation, is there an original copy of the bible anywhere in da world, in which ever language it was written in?
                            obviously an attempt to judge the validate christianity from a comparison with islam. if christianity were exactly the way islam was, it wouldnt be called christianity. bible is a book that evolved over years. it has no one author. and was probably written by people who spoke different languages.
                            Simple ain't easy.

Comment

queer
                              i posted in this thread by mistake
                              so i'd be greatful if u could edit ur msg and unquote me.

Comment

Working...
                              X