Jihad Explained !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jihad Explained !

In the linguistic sense, the Arabic word "jihad" means struggling or striving and applies to any effort exerted by anyone. In this sense a student struggles and strives to get an education and pass course work; an employee strives to fulfill his/her job and maintain good relations with his/her employer; a politician strives to maintain or increase his popularity with his constituents and so on. The term strive or struggle may be used for/by Muslims as well non-Muslims; for example, Allah, One and Only True God says in the Qur'an:

"We have enjoined on people kindness to parents; but if they strive (jahadaka) to make you ascribe partners with Me that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not..." 29:8, also see 31:15.

In the West, "jihad" is generally translated as "holy war", a usage the media has popularized. According to Islamic teachings, it is unholy to instigate or start war; however, some wars are inevitable and justifiable. If we translate the words "holy war" back into Arabic we find "harbun muqaddasatun", or for "the holy war", "al-harbu al-muqaddasatu". We challenge any researcher or scholar to find the meaning of "jihad" as holy war in the Qur'an or authentic Hadith collections or in early Islamic literature. Unfortunately, some Muslim writers and translators of the Qur'an, the Hadith and other Islamic literature translate the term "jihad" as "holy war", due to the influence of centuries-old Western propaganda. This could be a reflection of the Christian use of the term "Holy War" to refer to the Crusades of a thousand years ago. However, the Arabic words for "war" are "harb" or "qital", which are found in the Qur'an and Hadith.

For Muslims the term jihad is applied to all forms of striving and has developed some special meanings over time. The sources of this development are the Qur'an (the Word of God revealed to Prophet Muhammad(S)) and the Hadith (teachings of Prophet Muhammad(S) [(S) denotes Sall-Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam meaning peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). The Qur'an and the Hadith use the word "jihad" in several different contexts.

<just refreshing this thread, because I found this a useful explanation>

Comment

In recent times many in the media, MSNBC, FoxNews, and CNN do mention the definition of Jihad is as you have mentioned.

Comment

MMike, I agree.

Perhaps in my opinion, it would be nicer if more media outlets would pick up on it and perhaps not use 'edgy' phrases like "Muslim terrorists" when terrorists in northern Ireland and elsewhere are not branded in the same manner. Or maybe I am being too picky, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia_H:
          MMike, I agree.

Perhaps in my opinion, it would be nicer if more media outlets would pick up on it and perhaps not use 'edgy' phrases like "Muslim terrorists" when terrorists in northern Ireland and elsewhere are not branded in the same manner. Or maybe I am being too picky, I don't know.
          the distinction could be because irish terrorists do not claim it to be their holy duty to resort to terror. neither do they urge their religious community, irrespective of nationality, to join them in their efforts. quite often, it is not the media which give the terrorists efforts the title of a "jihad", mostly it is self-proclaimed.
          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by queer:
            the distinction could be because irish terrorists do not claim it to be their holy duty to resort to terror. neither do they urge their religious community, irrespective of nationality, to join them in their efforts. quite often, it is not the media which give the terrorists efforts the title of a "jihad", mostly it is self-proclaimed.
            Infact, some Irish terrorists DO regard it as a "religious duty" to wage conflicts in northern Ireland. Not all, but some clearly do.

Let's also not forget that Timothy McVeigh had affiliations in right-wing Christian circles in the US, some of whom verbally condoned McVeigh's actions in religious overtones. In a saner world if we applied the same standards to them as we do to "Muslim terrorists", they would be referred to as "Christian terrorists". But I guess honesty is a 7 letter word beyond the understanding of most journalists.

Comment

A very simple question, why you people are so much conscious of this word 'Jihad'? Does it disturb you day and night? Any complexes?

Why you are always looking for some religious terrorists in other comunities? Just for balance?

We have to be blunt and put up the question directly.

Comment

anand- Piece of advice: lets try to not be dumb and actualyl think before we press 'submit reply'.

Its not about having a complex- its more about being 'blamed', having your religion 'blamed' for certain activities- and being told that YOUR religion affirms those activities. If mostly all people start to condemn your religion would you not go defensive?

Islam is being questioned way too much- despite the fact that no one has taken the time to understand it- Pathetic huh?

Jazak'Allah HomiD bro- That was very helpful- I'm sure many would read, learn something from it and erase differences and misconceptions.

Comment

Jazak Allah Khair for a balanced reply Much appreciated, Ace.

Comment

Why you are so much conscious that Islam should be understood? Do we have so much time to penetrate into the peace hidden somewhere in Islam.

What is the difference between the sword of your Prophet and the kalashnikov of Bin Laden?
                    I do not know what difference you notice, but for Bin Laden there is no difference.

Next time pls do not blame us, but ask your Bin Ladens why Islam is blamed.

Comment

Anand quote: Why you are so much conscious that Islam should be understood? Do we have so much time to penetrate into the peace hidden somewhere in Islam. ...

Why are you so ignorant about the TRUE meaning of ISLAM? It is a duty for all Muslims to defend their faiths when those with opposing views confront them. We are taught to discuss all the issues in a peaceful and respectful manner. Islam is the greatest advocate for peace and respect for ALL mankind. Anand, I think your one of those guppies who feels Muslims should not be concerned about what’s happening in today's society as regards the MASS hysteria and stereotyping against ISLAM. It seems people like you prefer the status quo to continue i.e. that Muslims should continue to be harassed by others for what they believe in.

[This message has been edited by Dil he Pakistani (edited March 28, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by anand:
                        Why you are so much conscious that Islam should be understood? Do we have so much time to penetrate into the peace hidden somewhere in Islam.

Honestly- please please ask yourself why first alrite? If we're under attack by others we WILL be worried about how we're percieved. My dear- Why do you continue to act like a toddler?

Bah- give me someone who can actually make a point rather than someone who asks silly qestions!

Comment

Mashaallah Jazakalla Queer Bhaijan. You ask very valid questions and make very thought provoking statements. For some people the Jihad means achieving equality for Women and Minorities, recognizing the rights of Homosexuals, etc., etc., but to some other it means going on killing sprees. Most have chosen the later as the former is not really the issue. Because questioning is Haram. You deal with what you have. The true Jihad in all meanings of the word is the one waged by the USA against the terrorists. May Allah grant them success.

Comment

Originally posted by NYAhmadi:
                            .....For some people the Jihad means achieving equality for Women and Minorities, recognizing the rights of Homosexuals, etc., etc......
                            where did you go to learn Islam? and what sorta religious circle are you in? seems you are deeeeep in the "religious" studies.

anyway, may Allah SWT grant success to whoever is doing jihad anywhere.

------------------
                            May Allah SWT guide us all towards right and help us follow the right

Comment

I think I can safely say that the level of pure nonsense floating around the world today is at the highest point in recent memory. Quite sad and a very large writ warning to all who take note.

Comment

Working...
                              X