Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10% Zakah instead of 2 1/2%?

Salaam

I was told to my astonishment only yesterday, that there is a group claiming to be Muslim but goes against one of the 5 pillars of Islaam, by making 10 per cent Zakah compulsory upon the people instead of the 2 1/2 per cent as ordained by Allaah - subhaan wa ta'aala.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this? And if so, what is the background behind it?

kind regards

---------------
    "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

No, I haven't. There is no doubt that these people are trying to exceed the boundaries.

Comment

No, have u qot any links to these peoples site.

Comment

No, no i'm afraid i don't have any links. I'm trying to verify the information.

Although it was mentioned to me who this group is, i don't wish to name it at this stage incase i was misinformed. However, it could be something that is kept within their people only ... Allaahu 'aalim.

regards *s*

--------------
        "No leaf falls except that He has knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

Hehehe.. Actually I've heard of a group that claims that Jihad is not fard.

Comment

Indian_muslim brother, I think we'll know who this group is..

Comment

Assalamo Alaikum!

There is one sect that does not pay zakah. There is another sect within that community who pay more. I do not recall how much, but it is atleast 10% and the base is income, not savings as contained in shariah.

Wassalam

------------------
              Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Still a lot better than what Ahmadis ask for. Not only they ask for 90%, but also you have to Dedicate your life and energy for Tableegh (they call it ‘Zindagee Wakaf Karna’), so don’t complain about 10% and be happy that you are not an Ahmadi. Cry babies!

Comment

NYAhmadi,

You seem to be suggesting that Ahmedies don't pay 2 1/2% zakah? Is that all the Ahmedies, or just a group from them? Can you please provide a link or reference to this?

Just out of curiosity, how much zakah do you pay, might i ask?

&peace

-----------------
                  "No leaf falls except that He knows of it, and no rain drop forms except that He has willed it."

Comment

AsSalaamu 'alaykum brother FactFinder,

Wa'jazaakumAllaahu khaira. Akhee, are you aware which country this sect can be most commonly found in?

&peace

-----------------

Comment

Hanain

[This message has been edited by reza khan (edited March 15, 2002).]

Comment

Husnain Bhai,

I didn't know you were talking about Ahmadies, otherwise I would have answered this question way before!

First, the Zakat is still mandatory, and I pay it every year. A part of Khutba of this past Eid in my mosque was about how many Ahmadis forget to pay Zakat as they pay way more than 2.5% anyway, but they shouldn't. In other words, their is no ruling that Ahmadies should be exempt of paying Zakat!

Secondly, their is a difference between being Ahmadi Muslim & being an Ahmadi Muslim who is a jama'at member. Ahmadiyya Jama'at is an entity that was founded by the Promised Messiah (as) in 1889, though he claimed to be a prophet in 1882.

Anyway, anyone can be an Ahmadi who believes in the truthfulness of Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (as) and believes in his claim! And no one can deny him his faith. Though to be a jamm'at member their are many other obligations than just the belief. First & foremost are the Conditions of Bai'ait!! And apart from many other requirements of being an Ahmadi, one is the financial sacrifice.

Ahmadies on average pay more than 20% per household but others pay wayyy more! According to the regulations the mandatory chandas for a jama'at member are around 1/16 of their earned income, but as I stated above most of us pay much above the minimum. The money is used in many different areas, like Tabligh (Dawa), publications, Tarbiya'at, education for the needy (building schools) and religious schools for Murabiya'an, Khimat-e-Khalaq (Regular medical camps etc), Ijtemah (gatherings), helping the needy & poor financially etc. The list goes on. And yes there are individuals who are jama'at members but as they can't afford to even give the 1/16th of their income, so they do not pay instead the jam'at helps them financially.

If I start telling you how all the jama'at works, it will prolly take me the whole night! ;-) Those who are interested should visit the nearest local Ahmadi mosque and I am sure people there would gladly tell you all about it!

The funny thing is that Mullah sahiba'an seem to portray that Ahmadies lure people in by giving them money. On the contrary, being an Ahmadi is a pure sacrifice, financially and worldly!
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

One thing I forgot is that an Ahmadi has to sign this declaration before being considered a jama'at member!

And for your second question:

There are Ahmadiyya missions all over West and East Africa, in Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, the Philippines, Malaysia, United States of America, United Kingdom, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Denmark, Sweden and Mauritius. There are Ahmadiyya Jama'ats in 120 countries of the world.

Refrence

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

i think that zakat simply is kind of an income tax. it does not have to be 2 1/2 % percnt because according to my knowledge, there is no mentioon in the quran where it says that it should be like that and i guess it was Hazrat umar who started this rate.
                            zakat's rate has to be modified with the time, as the islamic govt. needs it to be, but only if it is Islami.I am not talkking about sharai.
                            the game of snakes and ladders captures the eternal truth that for every ladder there is a snake waiting around the corner. and for every snake there a ladder will compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by jaanaan:
                              i think that zakat simply is kind of an income tax. it does not have to be 2 1/2 % percnt because according to my knowledge, there is no mentioon in the quran where it says that it should be like that and i guess it was Hazrat umar who started this rate..
                              When you write about something in Islam, do not write about what you think or guess. Say it with daleel. It is better not to say anything than to say something wrong and mislead those who do not know. Zakah was implemented through the Qur'an and quantified through sunnah. Where did you get it that Umar (radhi Allaho anh) started the rate. What was it when the Qur'an said atuzakah
                              zakat's rate has to be modified with the time, as the islamic govt. needs it to be, but only if it is Islami.I am not talkking about sharai.
                              What is the difference between Islami and sharai?

------------------
                              Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Working...
                              X