Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hindus how is Kukari ki Rasam" (Thread Ritual) done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindus how is Kukari ki Rasam" (Thread Ritual) done?

Ibrahim says Greetings of peace to one and all

Dear Hindus,

Can any of you explain this "Kukari ki Rasam" (Thread Ritual) and how it works?

JAIPUR, (India ) - Mevar was a typical Indian bride four years ago: a bit apprehensive but very excited about the life ahead of her. But it did not take long for her dreams to be shattered.

On her wedding night her husband Rakesh came with a skein of thread to determine whether she was a virgin. Minutes later, he emerged from the room and announced loudly to waiting relatives and friends: "She's impure."

The 19-year-old bride's pleas of innocence were ignored and she was beaten and dragged to a village council for a public hearing and demands that she name her supposed lover.

"When the torture became unbearable I took the names of youths who came to my mind -- dozens of them," she told Reuters.
    "But they wanted me to name my sister's husband, a police officer, as my lover and I refused."

Mevar is just one of the women belonging to the nomadic Sansi community in India's desert state of Rajasthan who are subjected to such crude virginity tests, which assume that only an unbroken hymen is proof of virginity.

The centuries-old "Kukari ki Rasam" (Thread Ritual) is not used only to torture women. It is also a money-making tool. "Impure" brides are beaten to reveal the names of their "lovers" who are then forced to pay big sums to their husbands' families. Sansi women like Mevar often name any man to end their ordeal.

An 18-year-old from Alipura Chhan village, for instance, buckled under the pressure and named two innocent men as her lovers, one of whom paid 25,000 rupees ($535) and the other 60,000 rupees, locals told Reuters.
    "It's irrelevant that she privately says she was forced to name these men," said Ramavtar (one name), a school teacher. "Here the brides are beaten to make them admit to affairs."

Virginity tests are common among the Sansis, said Zakiya Inam, state minister for women's development. But police say their hands are tied.

"It's more of an immoral thing then an illegal one," said S.N. Jain, deputy inspector general of police in the state capital, Jaipur. "Virginity tests are not covered under the Indian Penal Code and as such cannot be considered a crime. So how can a case be filed?"

GROWING SPIRAL OF VIOLENCE

Although Indian women have made enormous inroads in fields from corporate finance and politics to diplomacy and the arts, violence against them is not uncommon. A recent government survey showed 20 percent of women have been beaten or otherwise abused since the age of 15, most commonly by their husbands.

But the tourist state of Rajasthan, better known for its palaces and forts, has a particularly horrifying track record. In the late 1980s, a young widow jumped on to her husband's funeral pyre following the banned ritual of sati, triggering a furious debate over whether she had been drugged and pushed.

Under the centuries-old ritual, a widow is supposed to immolate herself on her husband's funeral pyre, a tradition started in medieval times to keep wives of slain warriors from falling into enemy hands.

There are also continued reports of infant girls being smothered to death by traditional families who consider girls a burden because of the huge dowries they must pay for them.

Officials say the main reason for such crimes in the state is a low literacy rate of only 38.5 percent in the last census. Literacy among women was particularly low at 20.4 percent, the lowest in India and half the national rate of 39.3 percent.
    Virginity tests can only be abolished through education, women activists say.
    "There are conspicuous disparities in the literacy rates in urban and rural areas and among males and females," said Nirupama Banerjee, a women's activist. "Illiteracy is a major cause of ills against women in Rajasthan."

Though women's organizations are active in Rajasthan, moves to abolish virginity tests have yet to take off.

Mevar, who dared to file a police complaint, is an exception among Sansi women. Others suffer the humiliation in silence rather than face the fate of Mevar, who was made an outcast and lives in penury. No action was ever taken against her husband.

Ibrahim says : another interesting ritual to test women

[quote] Other tests are the "Paani ki Dheej" (purity by water) or a modern-day version of the "Agnipariksha" (trial by fire), which Lord Rama's wife, Sita, faced in the Hindu epic Ramayana.
    "I stayed submerged in water while a neutral person walked 100 steps," said a victim who proved her virginity by holding her breath under water.

As part of the trial by fire, brides are made to walk with a piece of red-hot iron with just seven betel leaves held together with a thin layer of dough to shield their hands. Women whose palms get burned are considered impure.

But the government says it is powerless since few Sansi women dare go public with the problem. "The government of Rajasthan cannot do anything but educate the people against this custom," women's minister Inam said. "Whatever happens in the house is between the husband and the wife."

Ibrahim asks :

1) why not do all this before the marriage?, IF one must be sure that their partner is a virgin or not?

2) And how about tests for the male? Are they any where a man has to prove he is pure to the women?

3) How many of you had gone through this or will have to go through this?

Regards
    Ibrahim

hindusim is the most ignonrant religion or myth, full of such weird traditions and insane beliefs.
    Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Dear mischief maker Ibrahim,

Greetings and peace to you.

If you understand English, then you'll see it is a ritual of a tribal community named Sansi. This has nothing to do with Hinduism nor is any average Hindu aware of it. There are medieval tribal beliefs prevalent over Indian subcontinent from witch hunting to honor killing. This is followed by Hindus, Muslims, Christians, animists etc etc.

Talking about virginity test, there is one custom prevalent in some parts of Iran. The blood-stained bedsheet has to be shown to the family members after first night of marriage. Does that mean Islam is "full of such weird traditions and insane beliefs" ?

P.S. Why don't you start a similar thread?

Dear Muslims, How is Karo-kari done?

Comment

Originally posted by Amitayus:
        If you understand English, then you'll see it is a ritual of a tribal community named Sansi. This has nothing to do with Hinduism nor is any average Hindu aware of it.
        Ibrahim says: Amitayus dear, apparently you did not understand ENGLISH too well so let me quote again from the news paper article quoted by me earlier.

Other tests are the "Paani ki Dheej" (purity by water) or a modern-day version of the "Agnipariksha" (trial by fire), which Lord Rama's wife, Sita, faced in the Hindu epic Ramayana.

"I stayed submerged in water while a neutral person walked 100 steps," said a victim who proved her virginity by holding her breath under water.

As part of the trial by fire, brides are made to walk with a piece of red-hot iron with just seven betel leaves held together with a thin layer of dough to shield their hands. Women whose palms get burned are considered impure.
        Ibrahim says: Thus as usual it is one form of denial or another, why are you worried about who does it in India and who does not, all I wanted to know was how it is done, if you are ignorant of it, just say so or at least find out how it is done and let me know, if possible.

Talking about virginity test, there is one custom prevalent in some parts of Iran. The blood-stained bedsheet has to be shown to the family members after first night of marriage. Does that mean Islam is "full of such weird traditions and insane beliefs" ?
        Ibrahim says: Now this is good point, but that does not answer my question does it, instead of answering the question you have just slandered your own sacred practices.

Regards
        Ibrahim

If you are wake during day time, there is no need to burn the midnight oil

Comment

Ibrahim says: Now this is good point, but that does not answer my question does it, instead of answering the question you have just slandered your own sacred practices.

Ibrahim dear, this is indeed a slanderous practise and has no sanction in Hinduism.

They have drawn an analogy of these gory incidents with Agni Pariksha. This has stemmed from their lack of knowledge, superstitous beliefs and have NOTHING to do with Hinduism. THESE ARE ALL TRIBAL AND LOCAL BELIEFS.

P.S. This is not a sacred practise, this is a horrible one. You can attend any Hindu marriage and check out.

Comment

Originally posted by Amitayus:
            Ibrahim dear, this is indeed a slanderous practise and has no sanction in Hinduism.
            Ibrahim says : Amitayus dear, I hope you do agree my English was well and fine and you were the one who had problems . same goes for claiming I am mischief maker when it is your brethren who seem to be the culprits on this forum and I am here to educate them in this virtual medium as best as I could.

Having said that, how is that possible when it is recorded in Ramayana? Are you saying Agni Pariksha is actually not performed in all hindu marriages only some or is NEVER done at any time? Or it was only done by Rama to check out sita and others cannot do it?

BTW how do you do your Agni Pariksha? Meaning what is done in this ritual, is ot same as mentioned by Reuters or some other kind?

Regards
            Ibrahim

Comment

Ibrahim dear,

I still stick to what I said earlier. You're here to make mischief and ridicule Hinduism.

I again say you do not understand English because the article never says this is prevalent amongst all Hindus. This is prevalent amongst certain tribals in Rajasthan. They drew the analogy with Sita's Agni Pariksha. But that doesn't mean it is sanctioned in Hinduism.

FYKI, during Ram-Sita's marriage there was NO Agni Pariksha, during the marriage of other mythological characters in Ramayana & Mahabharat there was NO Agni Pariksha. Agni Pariksha is a different concept under a different context.

I got married under Hindu custom but there was NO Agni Pariksha. What the Hindus instead have is Agni Sakshi ie keeping Agni as testimony.

We Hindus treat Agni (Fire) as manifestation of God, you can go through our Vedas. In front of God, the holy nuptial knot is tied.

And regarding the marriage customs, it varies from region to region and even from place to place.

P.S. Why are you burning your midnight oil or daylight sunrays or whatever on us pagan idolators? Do you ever see me ridiculing your faith or tearing my hairs interpreting Hadiths? Just curious.

Comment

ibrahim more and more girls are loosing their
                virginity in india and pakistan now than ever beofore at least in cities. in villlges it may be different.

Comment

Ibrahim,
                  These practices are wrong and are primitive. I am personally for the eradication of these things which oppress women.
                  By, the by can you please give links to the articles that you post. I believe that is the rule for starting a thread in this forum.

Comment

My roomie believes that such practices came from Islamic culture. Many muslim groups in his state (asccording to him) practice this even in cities.

Victory, Nobody needs any rules to spit hate-rria on any religion, as long as it is not on Islam, in this forum!

What a shame!

Comment

We also know that virginity tests are conducted all over the mid-east. Recently we had the rage in turkey regarding these tests.

Refer this article

"....Forced virginity tests on girls suspected of having had premarital sex were common until the practice was banned in 1999, when five girls attempted suicide by taking rat poison rather than submit to the tests..."
                      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1457919.stm

That's the state of affairs in one of the most progressive islamic states in the world. I need not write about the state of women in other islamic countries

Where ever the practise of oppressing women are followed, they should be banned.

Comment

>>By, the by can you please give links to the articles that you post. I believe that is the rule for starting a thread in this forum.<<

Victory, rules of these forum about giving links don't apply to Ibrahim.

'Endukante Veedu Verri Puku' !!!

Ibrahim, I agree with you these practices are heinous, however you have to admit, they are not OFFCICIAL policy of the Indian Government, unlike say the policies of Saudi GOvernemnt which doesn't allow Women to have a separate identity card(They have to have 'Family' cards!! :eek or needs them to be escroted for almost everything except going to the bathroom

Also, these have NO SANCTION from Hinduism unlike the sanction for covering up women, which Taliban atleast claims has a Religious sanction.

Yes ofcourse bad religious practices persist, chiefly a matter of educating people.
                        However in India if you burn a Widow, chances are you will be arrested whereas in an 'Islamic' country if you lock up a women chances are you will be given lollipops!!

Comment

Muslims, how is female genital mutilation done?

------------------
                          You're my girl
                          And that's all right
                          If you sting me
                          I won't mind
                          - Deftones

Comment

Ibrahim, you are the expert.
                            Why don't you answer Sarah?
                            On this one, I will understand if you don't give references and URLs

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
                              ibrahim more and more girls are loosing their
                              virginity in india and pakistan now than ever beofore at least in cities. in villlges it may be different.
                              Not in Pakistan, just in India. Pakistanis are not immoral and baysharm as indians.

Comment

Working...
                              X