What is the Punishment in Hinduism ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Punishment in Hinduism ?

If a Hindu kill another Hindu or a person from other religion. What does Hinduism say about it?

That's pretty strange. No one has replied it yet. Where are all the Hindus at?????

*You can hide and deny the truth but can never eliminate it*

Comment

>>If a Hindu kill another Hindu or a person from other religion. What does Hinduism say about it?

That's pretty strange. No one has replied it yet. Where are all the Hindus at?????<<

No doubt all Hindus are scratching their heads and looking around.

Your answer may be late in coming.

As far as I know there are no such rules for Hindus.

No doubt Ibrahim will turn up with quotes from Manu Smriti or Vedas, but HIndus are not following them !!

Comment

No doubt Ibrahim will turn up with quotes from Manu Smriti or Vedas, but HIndus are not following them !! [/B][/QUOTE]

Then quote some thing from what modren day Hindus like you R following!

Comment

>>Then quote some thing from what modren day Hindus like you R following<<

As far as rules about killing Hindus/ NOn Hindus, nothing mm10 bhai.

It is not that HIndus won't kill fellow HIndus or Non-Hindus. Just that we don't think that way.

Honestly, I don't think it is because of any 'civilized' or 'superior' kind of thinking.
          It is just that such rules are not made.
          Just that HInduism grew up in isolation from other religions.
          Even now, there is no real conflict with other religions.
          THere are no 'Religious' wars in Hinduism.

Comment

No doubt, we are better than you. No matter what we have rules. Unlike in Hindusim. You started calling me and I'm paying you back, Andhra

*You beat me and I'll score equally*

Comment

>>No doubt, we are better than you. No matter what we have rules. Unlike in Hindusim. You started calling me and I'm paying you back, Andhra<<

THank you Pakistani Tiger or Ibrahim as you used to call yourself !!

Yes, as a Hindu I am glad we have no such rules!!

Comment

Here is my 2 cents worth:
                It is considered a sin in hinduism, and it is punished like any other sin via the karmic law as far as hinduism is concerned. However, I think, the underlying assumption is that the temporal authority will and does provide an actual punishment like death for murder. In that sense, hinduism does not distinguish between a hindu killing another hindu or killing a non-hindu. Both are murder and equally heinous.
                Hindus on this forum, please correct me.

Comment

Yeah, murder is murder. I am not aware if HIndu rulers had any special rules for Non-Hindus.
                  I am sure they didn't.

Comment

>>>There are no 'Religious' wars in Hinduism?

Andhra, doesn't Gita start with a war epic? Or at least the translation that I have does.

Anyway, maybe the question should be that if today some hardliner Hindus come up with a decree about the punishment of killing a Hindus, then how can you tell them that they can't make that judgment basing on Hinduism as per their thought process? What would be your argument aganist them?
                    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

>>>There are no 'Religious' wars in Hinduism?
                      Andhra, doesn't Gita start with a war epic? Or at least the translation that I have does. <<

Well Ahmedjee, there are no 'Religious Wars' in the sense that there were no wars with 'Other' religions deliberately with stated aims. Like 'Crusades'!!

There were internal religious wars, but they harmed only HIndus!!

>>Anyway, maybe the question should be that if today some hardliner Hindus come up with a decree about the punishment of killing a Hindus, then how can you tell them that they can't make that judgment basing on Hinduism as per their thought process? What would be your argument aganist them?<<

Nope. If a hardliner Hindu wants crusades. He

1.Is welcome to come openly and say so, but he will be speaking only for himself.
                      The best he can do is, quote Bhagavad Gita and say his is a war to establish 'Dharma'.
                      It is within his rights.
                      It is also within the rights of HIndus like me to say 'That's what YOU believe!!'

2.Approach the 5 shankaracharyas in the five corners of India. Officially they are the equivalent of Popes.
                      Only one of them, the Guru at Poori is a hardliner.
                      The one at Shringeri told everybody to listen to the courts!! (This was the Guru who gave a cordial welcome to the Christian Pope on his visit to India )

So you see, Hindu hardliners are missing Ayatollah Khomeinis!!

Comment

Andhra,

You need to read a little more about Crusades. They were not religious but political wars, though between the followers of two different religions.

Coming back to the topic.

Is welcome to come openly and say so, but he will be speaking only for himself
                        Indeed they will be speaking for themselves, but according to them they will be justified in their actions as per their thought process! And you cannot stop them for their persecutions by any religious argument based on Hinduism though probably based on the Constitution of India.

Bottom line, being a Muslim I can say & justify that the hardliners of my religion are not following Islam by basing my arguments on the fundamentals described in Quran. But how can you say that the Hindu hardliners are not following the fundamentals of Hinduism? After all itís an evolution of thought as per the need?
                        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

>>But how can you say that the Hindu hardliners are not following the fundamentals of Hinduism<<

Because they can't quote from Bhagavad Gita on punishment for infidels and rules of wars with them and how to share the spoils.
                          And that's the bottom line.
                          It is no special merit in HInduism either.
                          Whatever the followers may actually do Bible doesn't talk about it either.

Comment

Bottom line, being a Muslim I can say & justify that the hardliners of my religion are not following Islam by basing my arguments on the fundamentals described in Quran. But how can you say that the Hindu hardliners are not following the fundamentals of Hinduism? After all itís an evolution of thought as per the need?
                            Ahmadjee, I think you are 100% right on target.
                            I don't think there is anything that prevents facists like Thackerey to preach violence, and to present arguments for that violence.
                            However, one needs to remember that most hindus are vegetarians because there is a very deep cultural prohibition against killing of any life form, and that is why there was horror being expressed at animanl sacrifice on Eid-ul-adha on another thread. I think it is that prohibition that comes into play and Thackray cannot win over more muderers. However, as history shows as in 1947 and now more recently in gujarat that prohibition against murder can be overcome in the fascist minded. But I think that would be true for all cultures.
                            Non-muslims do not believe that Quran is a revelation and the Word of Allha (swt) for all time to come. They consider what you have stated as a problem, because in their opinion it locks Muslims into a time period of between 6th century to about the 13th century with very little room to evolve. You might want to tell Andhra the mechanisms built in to allow the teachings of Quran to apply as history enfolds. The hindus consider the flexibility to evolve as per the need of the time as a great advantage and not a drawback!
                            Andrha, if I am not mistaken, I remember reading that in the early stages there were significant wars amongst the hindus as the hierarcy of the various dieties was being sorted out. It is only from those wars that gradually the principle that to each his own god arose. I think this is the period before a century or two BC.

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited March 04, 2002).]

Comment

Ahmedjee,
                              Lunatics Hindus, Christians or whatever can preach killing but they can claim no divine authority.
                              Nazis didn't say whatever they are doing is justified by the Bible for example

If you see, that is the problem with your argument.
                              You can't reject your loonies the way we reject ours, because they calim religious sanction.
                              Now people like you or Pakabroad here may talk about 'context' show examples etc., but you can't deny what's happenning on the ground. Or that people like you are a monority.
                              OBL openly declared that whatever he is doing is sanctioned by religion and he sees no moral dilemmas about it.

Old Lahori bhai,

>>Andrha, if I am not mistaken, I remember reading that in the early stages there were significant wars amongst the hindus as the hierarcy of the various dieties was being sorted out. <<

Yes there were. Between the followers of Shiva and VIshnu, but that's history!!
                              It happened about the same time Catholic-Protestant wars were going on.
                              By the Way, Islam was doing well about the same time!!

Comment

Working...
                              X