THE REVOLT OF ISLAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE REVOLT OF ISLAM

The below passages are from an excellent article found in the New Yorker. I believe it explains alot and strongly recommend it to all.
    http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?011119fa_FACT2

"The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is only one of many struggles between the Islamic and non-Islamic worlds—on a list that includes Nigeria, Sudan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Chechnya, Sinkiang, Kashmir, and Mindanao—but it has attracted far more attention than any of the others. There are several reasons for this. First, since Israel is a democracy and an open society, it is much easier to report—and misreport—what is going on. Second, Jews are involved, and this can usually secure the attention of those who, for one reason or another, are for or against them. Third, and most important, resentment of Israel is the only grievance that can be freely and safely expressed in those Muslim countries where the media are either wholly owned or strictly overseen by the government. Indeed, Israel serves as a useful stand-in for complaints about the economic privation and political repression under which most Muslim people live, and as a way of deflecting the resulting anger."

"By the early twentieth century—although a precarious independence was retained by Turkey and Iran and by some remoter countries like Afghanistan, which at that time did not seem worth the trouble of invading—almost the entire Muslim world had been incorporated into the four European empires of Britain, France, Russia, and the Netherlands. Middle Eastern governments and factions were forced to learn how to play these mighty rivals off against one another. For a time, they played the game with some success. Since the Western allies—Britain and France and then the United States—effectively dominated the region, Middle Eastern resisters naturally looked to those allies' enemies for support. In the Second World War, they turned to Germany; in the Cold War, to the Soviet Union.

And then came the collapse of the Soviet Union, which left the United States as the sole world superpower. The era of Middle Eastern history that had been inaugurated by Napoleon and Nelson was ended by Gorbachev and the elder George Bush. At first, it seemed that the era of imperial rivalry had ended with the withdrawal of both competitors: the Soviet Union couldn't play the imperial role, and the United States wouldn't. But most Middle Easterners didn't see it that way. For them, this was simply a new phase in the old imperial game, with America as the latest in a succession of Western imperial overlords, except that this overlord had no rival—no Hitler or Stalin—whom they could use either to damage or to influence the West. In the absence of such a patron, Middle Easterners found themselves obliged to mobilize their own force of resistance. Al Qaeda—its leaders, its sponsors, its financiers—is one such force."

[This message has been edited by underthedome (edited March 19, 2002).]

Originally posted by underthedome:
    But most Middle Easterners didn't see it that way. For them, this was simply a new phase in the old imperial game, with America as the latest in a succession of Western imperial overlords..."
    [This message has been edited by underthedome (edited March 19, 2002).]
    This type of reasoning is not peculiar to the Middle East, much of the world sees the US in this light. These sentiments are found in China, Russia, Cuba, much of Latin America and the Middle East. The US is seen as a imperial power, even within its own borders. The protests in Spain this weekend, and the protests in Seattle a few years ago - these were largely American and European protesters announcing their oppositoin to US led domination, across the world.

I'll read the rest of the article and comment, thats the first thing that popped in my head when I read the excerpts you pulled out. To single out "Middle Easterners" as a monolithic group that see the US in this light is a gross generalization and ignores the fact that much of the world sees the US in a similar light.

Achtung

Comment

I constantly hear people on this bb say the world veiws America as this big bad thing that is complete BS.I have relatives that live in Brazil and Honduras and the majority of people like America and want to come here i've been there i know, granted their is always a few that won't and their the loud ones and it gives the impression its like that when it's not ask the average person.China they say that crap because they see us as a world force that threatens their control over Asia and their closed culture, but they didn't mind when we were helping them in ww2 fighting off Japan.Russia no surprise there we were their arch enemies for so long what do you think there going to say.My point being if you go to these countries and ask these people if they want to go to America i bet 90% pack up their things and leave their country.

Comment

Working...
      X