What Do You THink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do You THink?

Are they supposed to stone men as well to death for adultery?
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/World/Nigeria

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Prosecutors rejected calls Monday to overturn a landmark decision by an Islamic court condemning a Nigerian woman to death by stoning on charges of adultery.

Photos

AP Photo

After a day of arguments before an appeals panel Monday, the case was adjourned until March 25, when a ruling was expected.

Safiya Hussaini was sentenced in October to be stoned to death while buried up to her neck in sand after an Islamic court convicted her of conceiving a child with a married neighbor in violation of Shariah, or Islamic law.

Lawyers, activists, journalists and a few members of Hussaini's family packed into a sweltering courtroom Monday in the northern city of Sokoto, the traditional Muslim capital of northern Nigeria, where a panel of Muslim elders was hearing the appeal.

Hussaini showed up wearing a white shawl and cradling her 13-month-old daughter, Adama the product of the union that prompted authorities to put her on trial. Adama cried during the hearing until Hussaini began nursing the child and fanning her with a piece of paper.

Under the October ruling, which has been placed on hold pending her appeal, Hussaini could be executed as soon as her child stops nursing.

"I'm happy to be here, but I will not rest at ease until this is finished," Hussaini said.

Prosecutors began by rebutting defense motions made in January to throw the case out because four witnesses had not testified to seeing the act of adultery being committed, something the defense said was required by Islamic law.

But prosecution lawyer Mohammed Bara'u Kamarawa argued Monday that witnesses were not needed because the evidence Adama's birth last year was enough. The prosecution further argued that Hussaini had initially confessed to adultery, a claim the defense denied.

Hussaini and her lawyers say she was impregnated by her former husband before their divorce "some years ago." Although the infant was born more than a year after the marriage ended, the defense argued that up to seven years can pass between conception and birth under Islamic law despite the biological improbability.

During the original case, Hussaini claimed to have been raped by her neighbor, Yakubu Abubakar. She withdrew the rape accusation after Abubakar fled, apparently fearing arrest.

In a positive sign for the defense, Bello Silame, the chief Islamic judge presiding over Monday's appeal, noted the alleged adultery occurred before Shariah law came into effect last year.

Kamarawa, the prosecutor, agreed but argued that Shariah law should be applied retroactively.

The case is stirring outrage well beyond this troubled West African nation, where opposition to the imposition of Islamic law, or Shariah, in the north has resulted in Muslim-Christian violence that has killed thousands since early 2000. International rights organizations, women's groups and European Union (news - web sites) parliamentarians have all condemned the ruling.

[This message has been edited by Indian_Muslim (edited March 18, 2002).]

Comment

I read that too today.

It's so interesting that they CONVENIENTLY forgot to mention that the Man would have to be stoned as well.

They didn't deny it, but they didn't just mention it. And the carried the heading "WOMAN" to be stoned......

Anyways, I do not know what the real story is and I'll not believe a word of what these people say unless it is verified by a reliable source.

That is because a lot of times in the past, they have raised these false alarms, and nothing happened later on, and the news was CONVENIENTLY BURIED then.

It is very likely that they might have only thought of trying the woman and the man, and the Western media started screaming that they are to be stonded. Had it been a Christian couple in this place, they would have surely mentioned it and would have stressed over and over again that Muslims are going to stone Christians.

If there's no proof against a woman that she committed adultery and she gets pregnant, she has to be let off free according to ISLAMIC LAWunless she admits she committed adultery. Because, although very rare, it is possible that a woman can get pregnant without intercourse.That is one reason why I think that the Western press is only making a mountain of a mole-hill, and what might have actually happened is that the court might have ONLY CONSIDERED trying the woman.

Who cares? Hindus/Jews/Christians - basically all Kafirs have made united efforts to defame Islam and discredit it. Because it is the ONLY religion that calls you to believe in ONE God WITHOUT any shirk.

Had the Muslims, (na'oodhubillah) believed in more than one God, people wouldn't have defamed Islam.

[This message has been edited by Indian_Muslim (edited March 18, 2002).]

Comment

I heard that she was pregnant for three years ( a full 2 years shorter then the law recognizes )and that is actually her husbands baby anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by MMike:
          I heard that she was pregnant for three years ( a full 2 years shorter then the law recognizes )and that is actually her husbands baby anyway!

why can't they just do the DNA test????
          I think this woman look so innocent to commit a sin like that.

Comment

Originally posted by secret_obsession:
            why can't they just do the DNA test????
            I think this woman look so innocent to commit a sin like that.
            u cant judge ppl on their looks....
            and if the court has found her guilty of adulter then whats the argument....
            the Shariat Law says that she and the man be stoned, so thats how it shud be....

whats difficult to understand here????
            Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Working...
            X