Love In Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love In Islam

Love is the statement of affection and passion. It means attachment of the heart with courage and longing. It prompts one to be generous to certain individuals at the same time to be guarded with others. It is the first valley of extinction as, depending on the intensity of attachment for the person or thing, the individual can become so intoxicated that he is no longer himself and lives only for what is loved.

It is natural for human beings to form contact with one another. This is because man, by nature, is a social being. It is also natural to be more inclined to one who shows appreciation for a friend who is sharing and caring and demonstrates sincerity. It is also natural to become attached to persons or things from whom or which pleasure is derived.

As our immediate contacts are materialistic we find that there is an inclination to love material things. The Quran says (Quran, 3:14) - "Beautified for men is the love of things they covet; women, children, much of gold and silver (wealth), branded beautiful horses, cattle and well-tilled land. This is the pleasure of the present world's life; but Allah has the excellent return (Paradise with flowing rivers, etc.) with Him."

SO? A person will love dearly anyone who can provide some, if not all, of these things for him or her.

Material desires are not always attainable. The person with faith in Allah (swt) will understand that He (Allah) is Alive and can alter plans. The final permission to own anything of this world depends on Allah, hence it is definitely wise to become submissive and develop a loving relation with the Lord? Allah (swt) is the Bestower of both material and spiritual things. Allah (swt) says Quran (Quran, 35:15) "O mankind! It is you who stand in need of Allah, but Allah is Rich (Free of all wants and needs), Worthy of all praise."

Consider that Allah (swt) can give to whom He pleases without measure; or He can cause to be elevated - a person to any height of power, fame, etc; or He can extend His Generosity of health and beauty to anyone as He pleases - His power is limitless.

Narrated Abu Hurairah:

The Messenger of Allah, (saw), observed: "You shall not enter paradise so long as you do not affirm belief (in all those things which are the articles of faith) and you will not believe as long as you do not love one another. Should I not direct you to a thing which, if you do, will foster love amongst you: (i.e.) give currency to (the practice of paying salutation to one another by saying) assalamu'alaikum." (Sahih Al Bukahri)

In order to show real love for Allah (swt) the believer must love the Prophet (saw). He says, "None of you can become a true believer, unless you love me more than your parents, children and the rest of mankind."

TAQWA, the love and fear that a Muslim feels for Allah (swt). A person with taqwa desires to be in the good pleasures of Allah (swt) and to stay away from those things that would displease Allah (swt). He is careful not to go beyond the bounds and limits set by Allah (swt).

Narrated Abu Huraira- Hadith Bukahri:

The Prophet (saw) said, "If Allah loves a person, He calls Gabriel saying, 'Allah loves so-and-so; O Gabriel! Love him.' Gabriel would love him and make an announcement amongst the inhabitants of the Heaven. 'Allah loves so-and-so, therefore you should love him also,' and so all the inhabitants of the Heaven would love him, and then he is granted the pleasure of the people on the earth."

Giving Sadaqah to the Dhimmi and the Soldier One can give sadaqah to the Dhimmi and the soldier, and one is rewarded for that. Allah (swt) praised a group of people (for this) when He said: "And they give food, inspite of their love for it (or for the love of Him), to Miskin (poor), the orphan, and the captive." [Quran, Al-Insan (76): 8]. The captive is a soldier. Allah says: "Allah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity." [Quran, Al-Mumtahinah (60): 8].

Asma, the daughter of Abu Bakr, reports: "My mother came to me and she is a polytheist. I said: 'O Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace! If my mother came to me and she is willing, do I establish a link with her?' He said: 'Yes, establish a link with your mother.'"

Narrated Abu Hurairah:

Allah's Apostle (saw) said: "Verily, Allah (swt) would say on the Day of Resurrection: Where are those who have mutual love for My Glory's sake? Today I shall shelter them in My shadow when there is no other shadow but the shadow of Mine." (Sahih Muslim)

"Where are those who love one another through My glory? Today I shall give them shade in My shade, it being a day when there is no shade but My shade." (Hadith Al Qudsi)

"Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him. My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him." (Hadith Al Qudsi)

To please Allah is to follow the life pattern of Prophet Muhammad (saw) as he was the beloved of Allah. Allah (swt) says: "Say (O Muhammad (saw) to mankind): 'If you (really) love Allah then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Quran and the Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.'" (Quran, 3:31)

All praise be to Allah (swt). May His Peace, Blessings and Mercy be upon Muhammad (saw), his family, his companions and his true followers until the Day of Judgement. May Allah (swt) unite this Ummah, beautify our hearts with the love for Him (swt) and enjoin us to be compassionate towards each other. Ameen.

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

"...Indeed my prayer, my sacrifice, my living and my dying are for Allaah, the Lord of the worlds" (6:162)

Jazaka'llah khariun. Thanks for sharing. Great read .

------------------
    Life is funny =)

Comment

AOA Sadiaa, sorry for my lack of knowledge..but do you know the meaning of "Dhimmi"?

Comment

Originally posted by ammarr:
        Jazaka'llah khariun. Thanks for sharing. Great read .

i 2nd that...

thanx 4 posting te sharing kaki-S...

God bless u all...

DerVaisH

------------------
        Ai khuda jazba-e-ehsaas na bakhsha hota...
        Acha hota ager pather ka tarasha hota...
        Waja-e-tehQeer hon insanon mein insan ho ker...
        Pather ka hota to inhe insanon ne pooja hota...

Comment

Qrius - I think 'Dhimmi' is a term used in describing non-muslims who live under the protection of an Islamic State. They are exempt from serving in the military and paying zakah within that State; they must instead pay a tax called Jizyah which guarentees him security and protection.

[This message has been edited by Dil he Pakistani (edited March 09, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
          X