• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hindu Gods

How many r there?

Andrha how many hindu gods r there

Comment

Gazillions as I understand. However, all the gods are trying to represent various aspects of the one Reality that Hindus refer to Brahmn (which is quite different from Bhrama or Bhramin). So in a way, it is like How many names does God have? Now one can make a list of names that give various attributes of God and call these names. Hindus attempt to describe the One reality which they say is beyond the ability of the human mind to grasp by the creation of a Gazillion gods. I guess it would necessarily lead to that since you are trying to describe what is by their own recogonition infinite. And then you get into common folklore which mixes with mythology and children stories and now Bollywood, and you are left with a fascinating Kichree. I am sure the Hindus on this forum will correct me.

Comment

Basic Gods are the Trinity.
        Shiva - God Of Destruction, Brahma - GOd Of Creation, Vishnu - GOd Of Maintenance.
        Vishnu is the one who takes incarnations to maintain Dharma(RIghteousness) on Earth.
        Both Rama and Krishna are regarded as incarnations of VIshnu.

As for 'Vinayaka' the Elephant GOd, he is a son of Shiva.

Apart from that, you are pretty much free to invent your own GOds!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:

Apart from that, you are pretty much free to invent your own GOds!! [/B]
          LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by Adnan Ahmed:
            LOL...
            there is a saying:
            india one country under many gods
            while arabia is many countries under one god.

Comment

as far as i know they worship everything under the sun
              you must have good memory to remember all of their names!!

Comment

And you worship someone, who for all we know may be the lead protagonist in a nice novel by muhammad. Why not worship Sherlock Holmes if cannon doyle claimed he had divine powers and was all powerful???????

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andhra:

As for 'Vinayaka' the Elephant GOd, he is a son of Shiva.

Andhra:
                  1.The conception of god in Hinduism is somewhat very confused between animals and superpower attributes, for example:
                  Monkey god(Hinuman): It is impossible that god can have so big tail to destroy Lanka. How
                  Elephant: the god eats grass and fodder and works for human benefits.
                  How?
                  2.Cow: this god even doesn’t wear cloths and have no differentiation of its own offspring to have sex with.
                  Why?
                  3.God with tons of limbs but still forced to retain human shape.
                  Why?
                  4.These are name of few, other all creature form snake to rat.
                  5.Whey Hinduism is so depressed by animal kingdom, which was created for humans to use as a benefit but not as master.

Could you please provide references for Geeta.

Comment

Badna-e-nake,
                    Refernce to the gita:www.bhagvad-gita.org

How is it possible that an Illiterate and self-confessed child molestor comes out with what can neutrally be called a novel and its lead protagonist accepted as a god by the masses. If Palyboy's lead protagonist for this month Heather Cozer(cool nude pics), is claimed to be god by its founder Huff Heffner,how is it different from what Mohammad said. Huff Huffner is infact a man of nobler character 'cos as a matter of policy he screws only females over 18 and is also literate. If 14 centuries hence Heather Cozer has 100 million followers is she god. We look at character even while recruiting an office assitant.Would you recruit an office assistant convicted of child rape(Law defines sex with 9-year olds a child rape) or having 9 wives.

Please do clarify.

Comment

sunderam
                      just answer this question how come you make your Gods yourself, he's not much od a God is he!!
                      so wat do you do in your spare time sit at home and say oh im free today i think i will make a God , the one weve got in the living room has cracked!!!
                      get a life ppl, you worship sommat that dont even exist, wake up!!

Comment

Accepting I do "invent" gods,I am a Ph.D. canditate,wouldn't dream of molesting a kid and would remain ever faithful to my sweetheart I would marry in 6 months. I would rather back the entity I invent as god,rather than the worship protagonist in a novel recited by a pedophile, illiterate and sex maniac(at 9 wives that's a classic understatement)!!!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sundaram:
                          [B]Badna-e-nake,
                          Refernce to the gita:www.bhagvad-gita.org

Sundaram: Please dont be so angry.....

Brings reply for Gita, dont me make to dig out

Comment

oops its, www.bhagavad-gita.org

Comment

Originally posted by sundaram:
                              oops its, www.bhagavad-gita.org
                              Sundaram, dig out some thing as I asked, please

[This message has been edited by Banda-e-Nake (edited March 02, 2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X