My Quran is Better Than Yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Quran is Better Than Yours

11) Will people keep on asking stupid questions for the simple reason that they cant take the trouble of learning Arabic and pick up *any* translation (right or wrong) that suits their point?

12) Will people always try to look at the WORD (or literal) meaning of the Quran without thinking deep into what it says? So if Quran says that humans were created from water they ask why they dont evaporate and when Quran says sons it means the male child only and not children in general....

13) When Quran is known to be the Book of Allah will people still try to cause confusion by using terms like MY QURAN and YOUR QURAN?

14) Will people never learn to see things the rght way?????????????

------------------
    "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
    Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

>>Will people never learn to see things the rght way?????????????<<

Will people stop diverting from the thread and supply answers to the very valid qustions Sarah is asking?

Comment

Well said for the most part, armughal!

Comment

I have read some places it being called Arabic Quran? Is that a common or original name for the book? because that some how alludes that other languages might have their own Quran or Quran might be in other languages also.

[This message has been edited by Yogi (edited March 04, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Splendor:

1) What things have to be taken into consideration before the Quran can be translated?
            A quest to find the 'truth' rather than find 'loopholes' or an urge to 'dig up dirt'.

2) Has Arabic changed since the Quran was written and should that be taken into consideration when translating? How so? If the language has changed, doesn't that mean the Quran and Islam have changed as well?
            Yes it has. There are words in the Qur'an that have no modern day meanings. They are therefore used as is. Other words have lost their old meaning and adopted more modern ones. This does not change Islam. It only means that we should take into consideration the fact that there are possible interpretations.

3) Are we right to contest established translations to incorporate the political correctness of the day (feminist sentiments and the like) which was not an issue when the Quran was first written?
            NO. The Qur'an knows the fact that it will be interpreted centuries later. Which is why the text is timeless. It's the interpretations that belong to eras. We are to find the inconsistencies and fix what's wrong in translations which are already influenced by patriarchal cultures and concocted stories of the time.

4) How can we be sure which translation is right and which is wrong? Since this is the word of god, it can't be a pick and choose the one that appeals to you the most kinda thing right?
            The consistency of the message will automatically guide you. The Qur'an itself has cross references and little hints and tips that let you find the most appropriate meaning of words or establish rules and regulations of interpretation. You just need to "ponder over Allah's verses".

5) Would the best translation of the Quran be by an unbiased, neutral person, maybe an agnostic, who would neither give Islam the benefit of the doubt (making it biased) and neither would (s)he try to find the least favorable meaning? I know it says in the Quran to find the best meaning but that makes is biased and whatnot, so you never really get what's right, it's just what you THINK is right; your interpretation is clouded by your love for Islam and thinking that it is indeed the true religion.
            It's true that a devout TRADITIONAL Muslim today will try and read into it to justify their current beliefs. The fact remains that critics like yourself will always be there to point out mistranslations or huge leaps of faith in interpretations. However, it does help not to have had a dose of 'popular' religion before you sit down to translate.

A simple example is the matter of the death of Christ. ALL translators have cheated and declared him 'rising to Allah' instead of dying because of persisting religious beliefs. But anyone with a little knowledge of Arabic, some cross reference from within the Qur'an and an impartial mind can find the truth is otherwise.

6) How have translations of the Quran changed over the centuries?
            That's the sad part of the story. Translators are not ready to face the 'traditional muslims' pelting stones or burning down their homes. Therefore they always go back and regurgitate what has been written by early 'scholars'. There has been little work done to be HONEST, and a lot of effort to be a CONFORMIST to mainstream religion.

The anonymity of the net provides some people to actually point out these mistranslations. However, the moment someone will write a book or announce it, the Sipah-e-Sahaba, Jaish and other such goonda elements within the 'mainstream muslims' are sure to burn down their houses and kill their families for showing mainstream Muslims the error of their ways.

7) Have translations changed because the people doing them have changed?
            No. Read above.

8) Is my Quran right and your wrong? Or is it the other way around?
            Arabic my dear.. Arabic.. Read, it.. get some dictionaries.. and ALWAYS cross check.. come to your own conclusions using your knowledge and understanding. That's what the book is about.

9) Are translations the same as interpretations, since translations do seem to vary from individual to individual based on their level of political correctness and whatnot?
            The Qur'an being the word of God can't be 'translated'. What is available is a translation of the meaning. You can do it too.

10) If the world order continues to change, will Quran be translated in an enitrely different way tomorrow than the way we read it today? Will its anti-gay and (supposedly) anti-women sentiments result in people who are homosexual and whatnot rejecting it? Can the right translation, the right interpretation, the right Quran, the right Islam hold to the test of time?
            Qur'an need not 'adjust' itself to what comes in any liberal's mind. Make an effort to see what the Qur'an is REALLY saying. If it is against gays.. it is against gays. it's not gonna change. But don't thrust your opinion on the Qur'an that it's against women, cuz as i've tried to show you.. it isn't.. at least in the verses discussed so far. That wouldn't change.

Tomorrow if women become 'providers' of men in a society, there still will be no room to change the Qur'an which 'lays down' a household where the male has the responsibility to 'provide'.

------------------
            There is No Spoon
            JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Because of all this confusion I only read the newspaper. Although, Roman has often at times burned his copy of teh Hugh Hefner weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaltahai:
                Because of all this confusion I only read the newspaper. Although, Roman has often at times burned his copy of teh Hugh Hefner weekly.
                well said. but u know even journalists twist words to insinuate many things where have u seen objective reportings? But yes, the degree of confusion lessens, compared with the holy book's language.

And it is understandable. The lingustics is dependent on the time and new things in the period. So a word would not remain the same. That is one reason, holy scriptures can be twisted in their meanings, even if words r kept same.

In the "Physical Abuse" thread, this re-interpretation has been discussed thread-bare, and I am happy that ppl have reached consnsus there

The best way for a religion to adapt with time is to encourage personal interpretation, rather than state control or any central authority control over it.

Comment

FM yaar, I chose to ridicule the concept because any thought of adhering to concepts set in stone from 2 millenia ago gives me the hives. I think I am smart enough to make take the best out of quran, bible, gita, the hidden puzzle in Cap'n Crunch and live by those rules.

Comment

PakistaniAbroad

Qur'an need not 'adjust' itself to what comes in any liberal's mind. Make an effort to see what the Qur'an is REALLY saying. If it is against gays.. it is against gays. it's not gonna change. But don't thrust your opinion on the Qur'an that it's against women, cuz as i've tried to show you.. it isn't.. at least in the verses discussed so far. That wouldn't change.

wait for some time, and will see fringe gay muslim groups interpreting Quran in their favor. This is the wonder of Arabic language which has evolved in more than 1400 years. After all, Syed Ahmed Khan changed the whole meaning of mairaj.

Quran is very coded in its words, often contradictory in its theme here and there. So it is really upto a person to interoret it they way he/she likes. All sort of savagery and harsh talks can be interpreted as 'metophors', rather than literal in meanings. The same goes for other holy books.

No wonder, religion will never die.

Comment

often contradictory in its theme here and there
                      another clue for a correct interpretation is that it proves the consistency of the message and eliminates so-called contradictions.

------------------
                      There is No Spoon
                      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by PakistaniAbroad:
                        another clue for a correct interpretation is that it proves the consistency of the message and eliminates so-called contradictions.

yeah, and it is unending process, dependent on time and location. So do not jump to conclusions regarding if Quran is against gays. May be, in 50 years, no holy book is as much in favor of gay marriages as Quran (keeping in view how far gayism is spread in muslim world including Afghainstan, Pakistan, Egypt, Lebanon, etc.)

[This message has been edited by FreeMind (edited March 04, 2002).]

Comment

No matter what propaganda you people wanna play, the "Glory of Islam" is still alive and it will be shining like a sword forever till "The Judgement Day" . Look around yourself, you will find Muslims every where. Quran has been translated into several languages mostly by Saudi Arbaian and Persian scholars. The truth is, some people are pissed off by Islam, Muslims and of course Pakistan. You know very well whom I'm talking about Don't ya?

*You beat me I'll score equally*

Comment

I exactly know whom u r talkin about. The lackys of British Imperialism and Empire...

Comment

Originally posted by reza khan:
                              I exactly know whom u r talkin about. The lackys of British Imperialism and Empire...
                              actually the lackys of British Imperialism r rotting in Pakistani ghettoes in Britian, being subjected to worst racism, but even then not leaving Britian with all such insults.

and u know whom i am talking about!!

Comment

Working...
                              X