Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace
    replied
    I was talking about the methodology, yes.

------------------

Leave a comment:

• Verstehen
    replied
    I felt ambiguity in your question. Are you questioning the methodology of understanding the religion or the religion itself?

If it is about the methodology, for instance using scientific investigational methods in interpretation of verses, then I quite agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Anyone?
    T2, Why is that? Is religion the only incentive for doing good?

------------------

Leave a comment:

• T2
    replied
    if u werent forced to give zakat im sure u woudnt have "felt" for the needy too..

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    started a topic Islam- theoretical or practical

Islam- theoretical or practical

Salam -o- Alikum,
    Islam is said to be a religion for all ages. Many believe that if Islam was followed in its entirety, we would never be faced with issues. I beg to disagree. With so many advancements, spirital and technological, this does not seem very logical.

Muslims have a habit of taking things very literally. Lets say for example: We had the issue over Saudi scholars banning pokemon. Many religious scholars frown upon gaming systems as well. My question here is, why? Its a logical advancement, if one can play baseball on the diamond, then whats wrong with playing it on a system? Pokemon are interesting creatures, and certainly enhance a child's imagination and thinking. Now lets move onto Television. If I can go and watch a cricket match in the stadium, why cant I watch it on my telly? Whats up with mullah's telling me that having a telly in the house is satan misguiding my mind.

Also,
    Is there 'sharm-o-haya' in forcing yourself not to talk with na-mehrams,
    or is there hayaa in not talking to them because feel that your 'self' belongs to those only mehram to you?

If we're giving "Zaka't" because "Islam tells us so", wouldn't it be better if we "felt" for the needy, and gave a "personal zaka't" i.e. our time and energy to make people around us feel happier. I find zaka't could be something as little as a smile, or maybe something as big as a huge some of cash.

My question today is: Is Islam to be taken literally? Is every rule to be followed theoretically? by the book? Are we all being fed the same 'code book'? Being programmed by the same code lines? I personally feel that Islam is something that should make us more human, and not just a follower of the book. Should we be more human because the book says so? or because it is the right way? What is your guys take on this?

W'salam
    -Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited February 28, 2002).]
Working...
X