Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Conditions For a Woman's Dress

A Hijab is a word that indicated the following conditions :

1. Clothing must cover the entire body, only the hands and face may remain visible (According to some Fiqh Schools) .

2. The material must not be so thin that one can see through it.

3. The clothing must hang loose so that the shape / form of the body is not apparent.

4. The female clothing must not resemble the man's clothing.

5. The design of the clothing must not resemble the clothing of the non believing women.

6. The design must not consist of bold designs which attract attention.

7. Clothing should not be worn for the sole purpose of gaining reputation or increasing one's status in society.

The reason for this strictness is so that the woman is protected from the lustful gaze of men. She should not attract attention to herself in any way. It is permissible for a man to catch the eye of a woman , however it is haram (unlawful) for a man to look twice as this encourages lustful thoughts.

Islam protects the woman, it is for this reason that Allah gave these laws. In today's society womankind is being exploited, female sexuality is being openly used in advertising, mainly to attract the desires of men and therefore sell the product. Is the woman really free in today's society ? The answer is obviously no, the constant bombardment by the media as to how the ideal woman should look and dress testifies to this.

Islam liberated woman over 1400 years ago. Is it better to dress according to man or God ?

Allah has stated in the Quran that women must guard their modesty.

" Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty ; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof. " [Quran : 24.31]

" Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty ; that will make for greater purity for them, and God is well aquatinted with all they do. " [Quran : 24.30]

" And O ye believers turn ye all together toward God, so that ye may attain bliss. " [Quran : 24.31]

Author : Naseer Ahmad

(http://www.islamway.com/eng/html/article.php?sid=16)

------------------
    "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
    (11:55-56)

Hey!!!! Haven't seen ya around for a while, thought you disappeared on us guppies

Glad to know your back posting this stuff Ms. Encyclopedia Islamica

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

g t th ߧ f f t t th wll t g .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiaa:
      A Hijab is a word that indicated the following conditions :

1. Clothing must cover the entire body, only the hands and face may remain visible (According to some Fiqh Schools) .

u mean we can go out without covering our face and hands?

------------------
      |~*ham uskay hain hamara poochna kiya*~|

Comment

what is the islamic view of many tribes
        living harmoniously without clothes.
        there is no violence against women or rape
        in those communities.

Comment

CocoNut: I didn't disappear.. i was here the whole time, but just wasn't posting...

Masi420: I'm not sure... a lot of the scholars now say that in present day and time it's better if we cover our hands and face as well, but i'm not 100% sure.. if you want i can get you a fatwa on it?

Comment

Jazak Allah

Comment

Originally posted by rvikz:
              what is the islamic view of many tribes
              living harmoniously without clothes.
              there is no violence against women or rape
              in those communities.
              Can u please mention one tribes name, so i can research that is there such a tribe in existence of earth.

------------------
              ALLAH IS THE GREATEST

Comment

4. The female clothing must not resemble the man's clothing.

Sadiaa do you have any hadiths that tells the difference between a male and females' clothing?? What makes it lawful or unlawful to wear??

Comment

Author: Shaikh Muhammad Musa Nasr
                  Source: His book AlMunafiqoon (pg. 7980) [The book is available in English]
                  Translator: Yahya Ibrahim

1. Exposing Their Beauty

Tabarruj or exposing the feminine, physical beauty that is to be concealed from all the nonmahram, male population, and seeking to be a source of enticement and fitnah is a sign of Hypocrisy.

Tragic it is to see many women displaying themselves out in public as if they are pieces of meat selling themselves to the onlookers who want nothing more than to defile them.

The norm today is to find that the female physique has become the cheapest commodity that is displayed in the market place. In fact the female physique is seen as a tool to sell other products and services.

The woman who does not guard her modesty and does not draw the veil over her beauty, is a woman who is seeking to displease Allaah and His Messenger while showing love and obedience to the Devil and his Legions. Her deeds are the deeds of the unbelieving woman and her clothes are the clothes of the deviants even if she was to claim to have Eemaan (faith) and chastity.

Allaah says: O Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts) and as an adornment. And the raiment of righteousness, that is better. Such are among the Ayaat (signs) of Allaah, that they may remember (i.e. leave falsehood and follow truth). [Surah AlAraaf: 26]

The Messenger of Allaah warned the women by saying: Those who make Tabarruj are the Munafiqaat (female Hypocrites).

Comment

aapkiamanat: This is all i could find right now...

Source:http://63.175.194.25/books/muharamaat/english.html#59

Men resembling women and women resembling men, in dress, speech and appearance

Part of the fitrah (natural inclinations of mankind) is that men should preserve the masculinity which Allaah has created in them, and women should preserve the femininity which Allaah has created in them. Without this, decent human life becomes impossible. Men resembling women and vice versa is something which goes against man's innate nature (fitrah) and opens the door to corruption and widespread promiscuity. The ruling in sharee'ah is that when it is stated that the person who does a thing is cursed, that thing is haraam. Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah has cursed the men who make themselves look like women and the women who make themselves look like men." (Reported by al-Bukhaari; see al-Fath, 10/332). Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) also reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah has cursed effeminate men and masculine women." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 3\10/333). The resemblance may be in the way they move, walk and speak.

Similarly, the two sexes are not permitted to resemble one another in dress or by wearing anything that is specifically for the other sex. So a man is not permitted to wear necklaces, bracelets, anklets or earrings, etc., as is widespread among hippies and the like. Women are not permitted to wear things that are specifically for men, like the thawb (long garment worn by men in Arab countries), shirts, etc.; whatever she wears should be different in style, details and colour. The evidence that the two sexes should not resemble one another in dress is found in the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him): "Allaah has cursed the man who wears women's clothes and the woman who wear men's clothes." (Reported by Abu Dawud, 4/355; see also Saheeh al-Jaami', 5071).

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited February 28, 2002).]

Comment

Masi420: I'm not sure... a lot of the scholars now say that in present day and time it's better if we cover our hands and face as well, but i'm not 100% sure.. if you want i can get you a fatwa on it?
                      yes please

Comment

SourceFatwa-Online.com

Response:
                        The woman should cover all of herself in front of non-mahram men, even if it be a husband's brother, sister's husband, cousin or others, and regardless if it be in the presence of mahram men or not. That is to cover her beauty and the cause of temptation, be it her face, arms, shin, chest and so forth. As for the hand or foot, apparently, it is allowed to show them for some need, such as when giving something to someone or receiving something and so forth. However, if one fears some kind of temptation, then they must remain covered. For example, that would be the case if a woman notices a non-related man gazing at a woman and not moving his eyes from her. This also means that mixing or sitting with non-mahram men is also forbidden if one fears any harmful consequences.

Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen
                        Response:
                        The Islaamic hijaab is for the women to cover everything that is forbidden for her to expose. That is, she covers everything that she must cover. The first of those bodily parts that she must cover is her face. It is the source of temptation and the source of people desiring her. Therefore, the woman must cover her face in front of those men that are not mahram. As for those of who claim that the Islaamic hijaab is to cover the head, shoulders, back, feet, shin and forearms while allowing her to uncover her face and hands, this is a very amazing claim. This is because it is well-known that the source of temptation and looking is the face. How can one say that the Sharee'ah does not allow the exposure of the foot of the woman while it allows her to uncover her face? It is not possible that there could be in the Esteemed, Wise and Noble Sharee'ah a contradiction. Yet everyone knows that the temptation from uncovering the face is much greater than the temptation that results from the uncovering of the feet. Everyone also knows that the most sought after aspect of the woman for men is the face. If you told a prospective groom that a woman's face is ugly but her feet are beautiful, he would not propose to such a woman. However, if you told him that her face was beautiful but her hands, palms, or shins were less than beautiful, he would still propose to her. From this one can conclude that the face is the first thing that must be covered. There are also evidences from the Book of Allaah and the sunnah of our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam). There are also statements from the Companions, the leading Imams and the great scholars of Islaam that indicate that it is obligatory for the woman to cover all of her body in the presence of non-mahram men. This obviously indicates that it is obligatory upon the woman to cover her face in front of such men. However, this is not the place to quote all those authorities.

And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen

------------------
                        "I put my trust in Allah, my Lord and your Lord! There is not a moving creature, but He has a grasp of its forelock. Verily, my Lord is on the straight path. (The truth)"
                        (11:55-56)

Comment

Comment

god for a reason gave both sexes secondary
                            sexual charesterics to attract each other
                            like bees to to beutiful flowers.
                            who gave those colors to flowers and for what reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Splendor:
                              I'm not allowed to take pride in my body and my femininity and sexuality and if I do, I go to hell.

Tsk tsk, such a self-contradictory statement. If you had any pride in your body, you'd respect it, not showcase it for any other person who'd like a bite off it. Some people are just obsessed with being rebels eh?

------------------
                              Life is funny =)

Comment

Working...
                              X