Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the position on Sneezing during Prayers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the position on Sneezing during Prayers ?

I was wondering what the Islamic rules are governing sneezing, burping or make any kind of odd noises during prayers.
    Since all aspects of life are covered in Koran, is there something about the peoper behaviour during prayers?
    Any punishment for improper behaviour?

For the record, let me clarify Hinduism's position on sneezing. Sneezing is regarded as bad luck. During prayers, if you start sneezing, you get out of the temple!!

Ever The Curious Brahmin

Andhra!!

Man oh man, you got a heck of a religion here. I started this thread out of curiosity and here is what I found.
    Sneezing is OK in Islam but Yawning is not!!

Before all the Mullahs and Jihadis descend upon me, let me say I am quioting Hadith #161, authenticated by one Al-Bukhari, apparently a big time scholar!!

>>It is reported that the Phrophet (saws) said: "Allah likes sneezing, and he hates yawning. So if one of you sneezes, and praises Allah, then it is duty upon anyone that hears him to say (Shaikh Albani said in his footnotes to Saheeh Al-Kalim At-Tayyib that is evidence that any one that hears the sneezing persom say "Al-hamdu lil-lah" must reply. The belief that if one person says it the rest do not have to is a misconception) Yarhamuka 'allahu: Which means May Allah have mercy on you. As for Yawning, it is of the shaytan, so if one of you is going to yawn, let him hold it back as much as possible, because if one of you yawns, shaytans laughs at him".<<
    http://www.pressroom.com/~islam/

Go to the link and do a search on sneezing

What I still can't figure out is why God should like sneezing unless he is getting lobbied by Johnson&Johnson!!
    Still all you guys who are serious about this kinda thing are welcome to sneeze!!

I invite all Guppies to respond before the mods close this thread as I am sure they will.
    For the record, I am an infidel Hindu who thinks sneezing is bad for Humans and good for Pharmaseutical companies!!

Comment

An Dhra

If someone you were talking to, yawned, would you like it?

[This message has been edited by Akif (edited February 21, 2002).]

Comment

Nope not at all!! Infact I will be concerned that he/she must be tired and I had better talk later!!!

Even if I concede your point about Yawning being bad, that still doesn't explain why sneezing is good!!

The Hadith seems to be clear. 'Allah Like Sneezing!!!'

SO can you explain that?

Comment

Since all aspects of life are covered in Koran, is there something about the peoper behaviour during prayers?
          All aspects of life are NOT covered in the Qur'an. It's a Book that outlines a code of life, without indulging in the frivolous.

Contrary to your understanding, it wouldn't tell you how to make Pizza or launder your clothes nor does it govern your posture while relieving yourself of your bodily waste etc.

Sneezing and yawning are bodily functions.

Sneezing is the body's way of eliminating irritants or a foreign object from the nasal passages. A sneeze is usually set off by an irritated nose or a tickling sensation deep in the nasal passages that is relieved by an explosive involuntary expulsion of air.

Yawning is a reflex behavior that can be only partially controlled by our own volition. Most vertebrate animals exhibit yawning. Yawning is a type of social behavior that is largely involuntary and controlled by the brain.

There is nothing 'Islamic' about sneezing or yawning or not. Superstitious religions may consider natural bodily functions bad or good. Islam doesn't.

and you already know how much stock I put in what Mr. Bukahri and co. have to say.

------------------
          There is No Spoon
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

So Pakabroad, your position is that you reject what Al-Bukhari has to say here.
            Infact you reject Hadith #161. Right?

Also your position is that Koran doesn't concern itself with the relative merits of Yawning and Sneezing before God? Is It?

Comment

You know, having seen you post and dig up every petty topic that you can think of, I wonder if the so-called orders from Islam "to kill all infidels" is such a bad thing after all.

What do you think, Andhra?

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
                So Pakabroad, your position is that you reject what Al-Bukhari has to say here.
                Infact you reject Hadith #161. Right?

Also your position is that Koran doesn't concern itself with the relative merits of Yawning and Sneezing before God? Is It?
                Yes. The statement narrated by Bukhari is outrightly against Islamic beliefs of all things being from Allah and Satan having no power over our bodies.

and Yes, the Qur'an doesn't talk about the merits or demerits of bodily functions such as Sneezing and Yawning.

------------------
                There is No Spoon

Comment

>>You know, having seen you post and dig up every petty topic that you can think of, I wonder if the so-called orders from Islam "to kill all infidels" is such a bad thing after all.
                  What do you think, Andhra?<<

Sambaralian bhai Itnaa Naaraaz!!

Why don't you think of it this way.
                  I didn't invent that Hadith now did I?

So if "killing" is to be considered an option, it is appropriate to kill those who give such guidance and interpretations right?

Why do you want to shoot the messenger?

Comment

>>Yes. The statement narrated by Bukhari is outrightly against Islamic beliefs of all things being from Allah and Satan having no power over our bodies.
                    and Yes, the Qur'an doesn't talk about the merits or demerits of bodily functions such as Sneezing and Yawning.<<

So Pakabroad, is your rejection limited to one Hadith or all of them?

If you reject Hadith, I think you should let Sunnis here start posting defending that Hadith before you contribute again.

Comment

So Pakabroad, is your rejection limited to one Hadith or all of them?
                      anything that's contrary to the Message in the Qur'an.

If you reject Hadith, I think you should let Sunnis here start posting defending that Hadith before you contribute again.
                      they are welcome.. that's not the only hadith they'd have to defend.. there are hundreds of loony ones out there which people like you can capitalize on.

------------------
                      There is No Spoon

Comment

I see not many are turning up to defend this Hadith

Anyway you said
                        >>anything that's contrary to the Message in the Qur'an.<<

Since your position is that Hadiths are either against the 'Message' you are speaking about it or are irrelevant, can you open a separate thread on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Andhra:
                          Man oh man, you got a heck of a religion here. I started this thread out of curiosity and here is what I found.
                          No disputing with what you have quoted. But it is it is the interpretation that will be your doing. Islam ahs no superstitions. Hinduism is full of them. When sneezing, a person takes out unwanted "irritants or a foreign objects" as PakistaniAbroad has written. The suggestion from Sunnah is to praise Allah for relieving the person of the irritant or foreign object. Yawning is disliked as it is something that can be avoided publicly. It has no physical attributes, except a person's indicating that he/she is tired or bored.

------------------
                          Rabbeshrah lee sadree; wa yassirlee amree; yafqahoo qaulee.

Comment

Yeah.. Factfinder no doubt. I don't understand one thing though. Why does the Hadith say 'Allah likes sneezing and dislikes Yawning'
                            Remember all the explanation given by you is YOURS.
                            We are talking about the Hadith however. The Hadith itself doesn't say anything about sneezing and foregin objects.
                            It says Allah like sneezing.
                            Well?

Comment

PA can you quote the Exact Ayah from Quran, with which this Hadith is contradicting ????

because as you have said, this Hadith is contradictory..

------------------
                              Dont think "you can" know "you can"
                              .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

Comment

Working...
                              X