Interpretation of Qur'anic Verses quoted by ahmadjee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interpretation of Qur'anic Verses quoted by ahmadjee

Originally posted by ahmadjee in FlameZz thread about the coming of a Mahdi:

62:4. And HE will raise him among others of them who have not yet joined them. HE is the Mighty, the Wise.
    PA yara,

I am curious as to how you interpret the above verse of Surah Al-Jummah! :~)
    ahmadjee,

From what I understand it would be verse 62:3 in my copies of the Qur'an .. right??

Let's see it in context which makes it a little more clear.

Translation of meaning by Pickthall. (Not entirely accurate but we'll use it for the sake of discussion)

[al-Jum`ah 62:2] He it is Who hath sent among the unlettered ones a messenger of their own, to recite unto them His revelations and to make them grow, and to teach them the Scripture and wisdom, though heretofore they were indeed in error manifest,

[al-Jum`ah 62:3] Along with others of them who have not yet joined them. (va akhareena minhum lamma yalhaqoo behim) He is the Mighty, the Wise.

[al-Jum`ah 62:4] That is the bounty of Allah; which He giveth unto whom He will. Allah is of Infinite Bounty.

PakistaniAbroad: Now let's just tackle the translation of the italicised part of the verse in question:

va akhareena = and others

minhum = from them

lamma = till now -- did not

yalhaqoo = catch up / join / follow (plural form)

behim = with them / because of them

so it becomes:

and others from them did not join/follow with them

So now ahmadjee it becomes pretty clear that the verse is actually talking about people who did not join those discussed above in 62:2 (62:3 in your copy).

It becomes abundantly clear when you read the proceeding verse (62:4 in your copy) which talks about "such is the bounty of Allah". Allah sent the messenger to ALL unlettered people, and the bounty was for the taking, though some did not take it.

It should be evident now with the correct translations that there is absolutely no room for interpreting this verse as some prophecy of a Mehdi being 'raised'.

Allah knows Best

------------------
    There is No Spoon
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

I have to read the word by word meaning of the verse again.

But if taken as you have stated above, I understand that the verse 62:2 talks about the 'unlettered' ones, (people of Mecca - sahabas) & the messenger as AnHazoor (saw)

The next verse talks about some who have not yet joined them (the sahabas) but are 'of them' (like the sahabas)!

Clearly my interpretation & yours are different. You perceive the ones 'of them' are no other than the unlettered people of the same time era.

I believe the verse is talking about people of the later days, which are just like the sahabas-in their following of the prophet & Islam!

But who are those people?

One of the reasons I believe its the people of the later days is because of the specific mention of the people of 'unlettered days' in the first verse!

p.s: Eid Mubarak
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

You perceive the ones 'of them' are no other than the unlettered people of the same time era.

I believe the verse is talking about people of the later days, which are just like the sahabas-in their following of the prophet & Islam!
      It cannot be people of another era as they would then NOT be unlettered.

Unlettered or ummi is better translated as gentile or someone who has not yet had Allah's guidance in the form of scripture given to them.

The minhum makes sure that we know that these people are from them or from the same people being talked about in the preceeding verse who are unlettered people.

And yes they were people of the time of the Prophet.. which includes sahabaas AND other arabs who remained mushrikeens.

Allah knows Best.

P.S. A very Happy Festial of Eid to you too.

------------------
      There is No Spoon
      JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Working...
      X