• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silk

why can't men wear it!!

its such a good fabric forbidden!

WHY?

------------------
    Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

g t th ߧ f f t t th wll t g .
    Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Why pose a question you know the answer for?
    Save Pakistan.

Comment

same reason why men cant wear GOLD....
      its such a nice metal....

------------------
      "Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty; establish our feet firmly and help us against those that resist faith." Quran(3:147)
      Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Once again..

WHO SAID YOU CAN"T??

Bukhari?? or Muslim??

------------------
        There is No Spoon
        JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Is there something for or against Silk too in Koran ?

Comment

Theres something against most of the things. Or thats what we are told.
            I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
            I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sehar~:
              Why pose a question you know the answer for?
              see the reason i asked is cuz so far i've only heard it and not read it ne where; the reason is not pukhta so i want some more.

------------------
              Jitna Diya Sarkar Nay Mujko, Itni Meri Auqat Nahi, Yeh Saab Tumhara Karam Hai Aqa, Mujh Mein Aisi Koi Baat Nahin.

g t th ߧ f f t t th wll t g .
              Rabul MashriqaiN wal MaghribaiN

Comment

IMHO silk & other luxuries are disliked (if not forbidden), as they are symbols of arrogance.

A good momin always dress simply & humbly!

But its a good question, as I have seen at times other materials cloths are way more expensive than silk these days. And if we do not understand the reasoning behind the 'dislike' we will not be following the teachings but just a meaningless tridition.

[This message has been edited by ahmadjee (edited February 19, 2002).]
                I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                - Robert McCloskey

Comment

[This message has been edited by Soggy (edited February 19, 2002).]

Comment

Doesn't it also have to do something with the 'feminine' connotation of silk? It's very womenly i think, and for that reason its forbidden. Men should dress like men and women as women. Maybe someone can clear it up.
                    Save Pakistan.

Comment

I thought shilk is forbidden for women also .And I heard the reason was that Silk is made from **** of a bee or something.

------------------
                      Jiyo Aur Jeene Do!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee:
                        IMHO silk & other luxuries are disliked (if not forbidden), as they are symbols of arrogance.

A good momin always dress simply & humbly!
                        Does this answer you question, andhra?
                        "A woman has got to be able to say, and not feel guilty, 'Who am I, and what do I want out of life?' She mustn't feel selfish and neurotic if she wants goals of her own, outside of husband and children"

Comment

I agree Aisha.But is it the only reason why we dont wear Silk.or is it becouse its un-islamic.

If thats the reason then in modern days there are many other cloths which are simble of Arrogance and luxaries.Are we avoidng it ,or are mullahs saying anything against it!!!!!

------------------
                          Jiyo Aur Jeene Do!!!

Comment

silk being used to cover kabba.

Holy Kaaba to get new cover

MAKKAH: The Kaaba, the cube-shaped structure in Makkah revered by Muslims as the house of God, is to be covered in a new pure silk cloth for this week's annual Haj pilgrimage.

The 650-kilogram cloth, known as the Kiswa, is to be placed on top of the Kaaba at dawn on Thursday. The Kaaba Kiswa is changed during a traditional ceremony on the day of the standing on Mount Arafat, the culmination of the pilgrimage. The silk is imported from outside Saudi Arabia, but the Kiswa is manufactured, designed and tailored at a special factory set up by the kingdom some 30 years ago.

"More than 200 highly-skilled Saudis work on the cloth for more than 10 months. The new cloth must be ready two months before Haj," said Eid al-Oteibi, an official from the Makkah-based factory.

The upper half of the Kiswa is decorated with a 95-centimetre wide strip featuring verses from the Holy Quran, inscribed in gold-plated silver threads, which weigh 120 kilograms. The Kiswa is 14 meters high, to match the height of the Kaaba, and 47 meters wide, enough to cover the four sides of the Kaaba, which are not identical in length.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Top Stories Next

The News International, Pakistan

Update | World | National | Karachi | Islamabad | Lahore | Business
                            Stocks | Sports | Editorial | Opinion | Newspost | Cartoon

Comment

May be this will help:-

Prohibition of wearing Silk for men and its permissibility for Women

`Umar bin Al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Do not wear silk (clothes). For whoever wears (them) in this life will be deprived of them in the Hereafter.''
                              [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: It is not women but men who have been forbidden to wear silk dress. It is banned for men due to its aspect of adornment and beautification which is peculiar to women alone. The silk dress is not befitting to men because it affects their typical characteristics such as bravery, strength and fearlessness. Second, it betrays arrogance and haughtiness which is condemnable by all norms of morality. Third, it has relevance to disbelievers and polytheists known for their love for worldly possessions. Fourth, its use is against that austerity which Islam aims to develop in a Muslim's life. And this is borne out by the saying of Messenger of Allah (PBUH): "Simplicity is part of Faith.''

`Umar bin Al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "Silk (clothes) are worn only by him who has no share in the Hereafter.''
                              [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us that men will fall into a serious error if they wear dress made from silk. And if they do not sincerely repent for it, they will undoubtedly be punished in Hell-fire.

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "He who wears silk clothes in this life shall not wear them in the Hereafter.''
                              [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

`Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I saw Messenger of Allah (PBUH) holding a piece of gold in his left hand and a silk (cloth) in his right hand. Then he said, "These two are forbidden for the males of my Ummah.''
                              [Abu Dawud].

Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Wearing of silk and gold has been made unlawful for males and lawful for the females of my Ummah.''
                              [At-Tirmidhi].

Commentary: Both the above mentioned Ahadith indicate that the use of silk and gold is allowed to women. But Divine sanction should not be so over-stretched as to make the ornaments of gold part and parcel of marriage. Yet, unfortunately, this sad situation exists in Muslim societies, making resourceless people feel extremely ill. In fact, at need, if resources permit, women are free to use gold but without making it as an essential ingredient of marriage. May Allah guide Muslims!

Hudhaifah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) prohibited us from eating or drinking in gold or silver utensils and from wearing silk and brocade, or sitting on (anything made from) them.
                              [Al-Bukhari].

Commentary: There are many kinds of silk. But the real silk is that which is naturally spun by the silkworm. However, the artificially manufactured silk is also available nowadays. Men are not under ban to use it. But there are certain varieties of such cloth which are used only by women. These are forbidden to men. Besides, they are disallowed to sit on a silk cloth. Similarly, quilts, mattresses and pillows should not be made from it because both men and women use them.

ws

Comment

Working...
                              X