Is religion a Brainwash???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This question always comes to my mind...
    how would Have I behaved If i wasnt born in a muslim family?
    How would a non-mulsim guy would have behaved if he was born in a Mulsim family??

------------------
    Jiyo Aur Jeene Do!!!

if religion is a brainwash, religious people will not have dirty mind.

Comment

funny answer ZZ!!!

But I am serious about this Issue and wants people to contribute to it.

Comment

Well, even where there is no religion, culture devlops the consciousness and behavior of people you seem to be talking about. No personality develops without getting influenced from surrounding, without adopting the ready made unwritten norms of society called culture. Why call it brain washing?

In our society an amalgamation of our regional culture and Islam serves to this development.

Comment

i agree with the gentleman who had said
          "religion is a opium of people"

[This message has been edited by kabir (edited February 19, 2002).]

Comment

Religion, I feel is a sort of Brainwash. But, a necessary one developed long ago to keep the populace under discipline and to abide the social norms developed.
            If you think deeply, you will find the norms in the religion are developed on the basis of their cultural/tribal/ethnic environment.

Comment

Originally posted by kabir:
              i agree with the gentleman who had said
              "religion is a opium of people"

[This message has been edited by kabir (edited February 19, 2002).]
              karl marx-religion is an opiate of the masses

Comment

Well, Religion gives a strong sense of identity.
                The strange thing about Religion is, you will find the behaviour of other religionists as illogical while you find the practices of your own Religion quite all right!!

Comment

Religion comes in because we do not have answers for all the questions we can pose.
                  Examples:
                  1) What do you tell your 6 year old nephew who asks you why his father died?
                  2) What do you tell your 77 year old father who has been informed by doctors that his cancer is incurable, the doctors cannot do anything and a neighbors swears that there is this Pir Sahib who has this Gift that can cure this type of malady, and you even find a few cured patients that swear by the Pir Sahib?
                  3) What do you tell yourself when you find yourself unemployed with absolutely no hope of finding a job on the horizon and no visible means of supporting your family?
                  4) What do you tell a father who is holding his only teenage son in his arms bleeding to death because of a freak accident?

A higher power is very comforting to invoke and pray to at those times. Intellectual excercises to prove that this is giving into irrationalism is not very humane. But, then there are people who always feel they know more and have to tell everyone how to think, feel, and run their lives.

[This message has been edited by OldLahori (edited February 19, 2002).]

Comment

Questions arise out of fear, curiousity, and reasoning (like what's the cause, etc.) in consciousness. In their search for answers to these question, humans have developed explanation out of their imagination, we call them mythologies. Prophets came to answer the same questions with the divine religion. The difference is that former (mythologies) were a result of human imagination which was affected by lack of knowledge, desires and interests, the latter corresponds to reality, God. God is in 'fitrah'(intuition) of human nature, thats why they find religion (also mythologies) convincing at heart. To answer to the question of affect of Religion, I agree with OldLahori that it gives hope, satisfaction, comfort, courage, and also meaning to life.

Comment

Originally posted by andha_qanoon:
                      In itself, it is no more and no less of a "brainwash" than any other ideology / thought process that exits within the realms of our understanding.

Originally posted by andha_qanoon:
                      How would a non-mulsim guy would have behaved if he was born in a Mulsim family??
                      Can this be an issue? If you are born into a Muslim Family, I don't think the non-muslim "label" applies. But I like to think being a Muslim would entail something more than the simple occurance of birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Verstehen:
                        it gives hope, satisfaction, comfort, courage, and also meaning to life.
                        Religion also breeds suspicion, hate, violence and bitterness among people of different religions or different sects within the same religion.
                        All religions ask people to tread the path of righteousness, which is good. But it is organized religion, which is the bane of society.

Comment

I doubt, at individual level a true religion breeds all these. Mulla's interpretion, well...

At collective level on the question of who gets what and who pays, on maintaining social order, on defence, obviously people have to give in some rights and priviliges for others, there will be delinquents and for stability of society there will be punishment for them, there will be an order of norms and expectated behavior. It is essential in all systems.

Comment

It is an old argument which does have merit. You will never know hope till you know despair, and so on till you see the ying yang of the human heart. So yes Aakhir kyon, I think you are correct that as long as one uses religion to provide the feelings of hope, courage, comfort, etc., it will also always provide a means to exploit and terrify. One may call it organized or ascribe it to some particular class who have learnt exceptionally well to exploit it. But as long as there is ignorance, misery, bigotry, etc. in the world there will be a desire in the human heart to overcome these. And I would like to believe that is why The Most Merciful reveals in the first place.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X